Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2006 9:45:49 PM EDT
Being this is a winter shoot; advance planning gets a little more important, especially where shelter and daylight are involved.  I just want to make sure we don’t forget anything critical.

SHELTER
In the past, for the Friday setup, I believe we always relied on 2WP plus some combination of 1GR/Kooter/RSCoyote, and the best living room was the tarp over the combination 2WP horse trailer -1GR dog trailer…plus the occasional COSTCO canopy.

Does the Friday crew have this covered? What do we need to verify that people are bringing?

HEAT
Can OdT bring 2 days of firewood once again?  If not, we need a plan B.

DAYLIGHT and lack of DAYLIGHT

Saturday sunset is 1710. After last shoot, there were a lot of requests for some scheduled cease-fires for socialization and resting of the ears.  There is also talk of a kid’s competition (which may or may not eat into open shooting time). With limited daylight shooting time, if we do this, we should decide a schedule ahead of time so we don’t inadvertently screw people who can only make a half day.  We don’t have as much flexibility as we would for a summer shoot.

Also, with all those cold, dark hours before bedtime, a night shoot is practically mandatory!!  (See TARGETS)  

TARGETS
I’ll have some pistol targets.  Can anyone bring rifle –worthy steel?  How about bowling pins? Does anyone want to lead a Tannerite buy this time? Bigscrun undoubtedly deserves a break if he wants one.

All you veteran night shooters—educate the rest of us!  What is required beyond propane, flares/candles and tracers? Light sticks? Tannerite?  Hydrogen? (I think SKSGuy can probably get us some homemade hydrogen!!). Can you make it work if all you have is black iron sights? If everyone chipped in one or two small bottles of propane, we could probably put on a good show before the poker game.  After watching that Knob Creek Shoot on Mail Call, it kind of raises the standard somewhat….

TARPS
The more the merrier--life is so much easier when the brass lands on a tarp—who normally brings the big ones? I’ll bring the one I had at Capitol Forest, but we’ll need several more.

AIR HORN
A pretty popular suggestion after the last shoot was to use an air horn as a 30 second or so warning before commence firing…to give camp-side folks time to get their ears on.  If this is agreed to….who can bring an air-horn?  (If an air-horn is too loud, we can always fire a rifle shot as a 30 second warning before an air-horn!!)   Talk amongst yourselves.

LADIES ROOM
I don’t know who brung'd it last time, but I heard it was a big hit!!  Anyone bringing it this time?

That’s most of the big stuff. We still have plenty of time.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Being this is a winter shoot; advance planning gets a little more important, especially where shelter and daylight are involved.  I just want to make sure we don’t forget anything critical.

SHELTER
In the past, for the Friday setup, I believe we always relied on 2WP plus some combination of 1GR/Kooter/RSCoyote, and the best living room was the tarp over the combination 2WP horse trailer -1GR dog trailer…plus the occasional COSTCO canopy.I thought 1Gr had mentioned someone bringing a walled tent this time

Does the Friday crew have this covered? What do we need to verify that people are bringing?

HEAT

Saturday sunset is 1710. After last shoot, there were a lot of requests for some scheduled cease-fires for socialization and resting of the ears.  There is also talk of a kid’s competition (which may or may not eat into open shooting time). With limited daylight shooting time, if we do this, we should decide a schedule ahead of time so we don’t inadvertently screw people who can only make a half day.  We don’t have as much flexibility as we would for a summer shoot.

Also, with all those cold, dark hours before bedtime, a night shoot is practically mandatory!!  (See TARGETS)  

TARGETS
I’ll have some pistol targets.  Can anyone bring rifle –worthy steel?  How about bowling pins? Does anyone want to lead a Tannerite buy this time? Bigscrun undoubtedly deserves a break if he wants one.

All you veteran night shooters—educate the rest of us!  What is required beyond propane, flares/candles and tracers? Light sticks? Tannerite?  Hydrogen? (I think SKSGuy can probably get us some homemade hydrogen!!). Can you make it work if all you have is black iron sights? If everyone chipped in one or two small bottles of propane, we could probably put on a good show before the poker game.  After watching that Knob Creek Shoot on Mail Call, it kind of raises the standard somewhat….Diesel fuel would make a nice fireball

TARPS
The more the merrier--life is so much easier when the brass lands on a tarp—who normally brings the big ones? I’ll bring the one I had at Capitol Forest, but we’ll need several more.1Gr has the big tarps I think

AIR HORN
A pretty popular suggestion after the last shoot was to use an air horn as a 30 second or so warning before commence firing…to give camp-side folks time to get their ears on.  If this is agreed to….who can bring an air-horn?  (If an air-horn is too loud, we can always fire a rifle shot as a 30 second warning before an air-horn!!)   Talk amongst yourselves.They are $2.96 for a cheap one at wally world

LADIES ROOM
I don’t know who brung'd it last time, but I heard it was a big hit!!  Anyone bringing it this time?Team Ductape had that covered

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:06:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]
what ranges will we be shooting at? I can make up some hanging steel plates on the cheap. Gimme sizes and I will set it up. Also quantity
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:11:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#6]
bahhhh! I'm still not able to drive from this injury. So unless I can get a Friday ride, with a gracious cash donation of course, I'm out for the shoot.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:44:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Someone bringing rope would be nice,

I'll bring that roll of yellow rope I had at the last shoot.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
bahhhh! I'm still not able to drive from this injury. So unless I can get a Friday ride, with a gracious cash donation of course, I'm out for the shoot.

huh?

What huh?

I'm saying I wont be able to make the shoot unless I catch a ride with somebody. I got hurt at work, and the resulting surgery is still keeping me from driving.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You spoke like I knew of your injury.  What part did you injure?

Crushed lowest two disks, which is causing bone on bone vertibre contact, and it is randomly pinching the sciatic nerve when I move my upper body "just right". A real bitch of an injury.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HEAT

Check. I'll bring all the firewood you can eat.

Also on my 'bring list';

Fresh pack of razors
Trash can liners
Door prizes for the kids
Rimfire targets
Rimfire ammo
A couple of Rimfires, but bring your own too, if you want to play.
First aid kit
Zero organizational skills, or a plan.

My attendance will be spotty again, as I'll likely venture out and about through LCR land intermitantly throughout the day. Not sure about the night activities yet.... may skip them this time.

Like hell you are!  You and the pretty lady will be fireside!!

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:12:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

So where are you? I'm in Tac and will prolly have a spare seat. Going down on fri and back up here sat nite sometime.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So where are you? I'm in Tac and will prolly have a spare seat. Going down on fri and back up here sat nite sometime.

Just off SR7 down by Eatonville.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Like hell you are!  You and the pretty lady will be fireside!!

Appreciate the thought Gibby.... we'll see.

It occurred to me that I can drink or shoot, or shave whoever the hell I want to, right here at the house..... all, without apologizing to people I've never met before, much less across the country.

My suggestions:

1.  If you have a CPL (or not) and you are planning on packing heat?  Do me a favor.  Secure your weapon before the drinking begins.

2.  No shavers allowed.

3.  If someone has retired for the night, leave them the fuck alone.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:44:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:11:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I doubt anyone wants to be fooled with once the sandman has arrived. I wouldn't either.

Some of us (not mentioning any names <----------) have bad reactions when woken suddenly. Others of us are just plain grouchy.

Quoted:
Just off SR7 down by Eatonville.

is the house (see the End of year party thread) close enough for you to make it there?

Yessir', I could get the Wife to drop me off I suppose.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#25]
1GR---

Are your tarps for the roof or for the brass?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
what ranges will we be shooting at? I can make up some hanging steel plates on the cheap. Gimme sizes and I will set it up. Also quantity

Awesome..steel is king for rifle targets!!  Make as many as you are willing to carry

My thoughts are some 12'' by 12'' for the scope-fiends and something like 15" x 30" for mere mortals.

Someone from Turkey Shoot had some good swingers.  DD?  Mordecai??  They can probably give you better advice.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Who has the big grill-rack for the campfire? (or does Traeger make this unneeded?)

How about the steroidal rifle rack?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#30]
What is Traeger?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:33:07 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm bringing 2 tents, my friend, and his M14.  Hope ya don't mind.  We won't burden you guys.  I know I will bring a shyte load of ear plugs for everyone also.  I might be able to get some 1/4" HS steel plates.  Can't promise that...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:17:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:19:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
3.  If someone has retired for the night, leave them the fuck alone.  Unless you need their IV kit.

Guilty as charged  Won't be happening this time around.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

SHELTER
In the past, for the Friday setup, I believe we always relied on 2WP plus some combination of 1GR/Kooter/RSCoyote, and the best living room was the tarp over the combination 2WP horse trailer -1GR dog trailer…plus the occasional COSTCO canopy.

HEAT

TARGETS

All you veteran night shooters—educate the rest of us!  What is required beyond propane, flares/candles and tracers? Light sticks? Tannerite?  Hydrogen? (I think SKSGuy can probably get us some homemade hydrogen!!). Can you make it work if all you have is black iron sights? If everyone chipped in one or two small bottles of propane, we could probably put on a good show before the poker game.  After watching that Knob Creek Shoot on Mail Call, it kind of raises the standard somewhat….

TARPS
The more the merrier--life is so much easier when the brass lands on a tarp—who normally brings the big ones? I’ll bring the one I had at Capitol Forest, but we’ll need several more.

AIR HORN
A pretty popular suggestion after the last shoot was to use an air horn as a 30 second or so warning before commence firing…to give camp-side folks time to get their ears on.  If this is agreed to….who can bring an air-horn?  (If an air-horn is too loud, we can always fire a rifle shot as a 30 second warning before an air-horn!!)   Talk amongst yourselves.

LADIES ROOM
I don’t know who brung'd it last time, but I heard it was a big hit!!  Anyone bringing it this time?

I didn't see a puke bucket anywhere....maybe I'll bring that
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Could I beg somebody to bring a bore laser so I can sight my scope?  Knew I forgot to get something at the show...  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

<snip>

Diesel fuel would make a nice fireball
<snip>

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Who has the big grill-rack for the campfire? (or does Traeger make this unneeded?)

WRF has both and I'm sure she will bring them if you ask her to. The traeger will be good for some foods but I'm sure people will want to grill things over the fire also.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Both loaded and ready to go
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Actually, diesel is very hard to ignite.  Now, gasoline, on the other hand....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#42]
bump
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, diesel is very hard to ignite.  Now, gasoline, on the other hand....

They're both quite hard to ignite. Gasoline is only slightly less hard than diesel.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Gas / Diesel & lots o' magnesium.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top