Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 9:58:48 AM EDT
anyone just catch the discussion on the AWB?...

Guess there is a story in the P.I. today and rusty wanted to bring up the fact that the King Co. Sheriff is supporting the lifting of the ban....

Well of course the Anti's are calling into the show in a tizzy because Dave R. is also sitting on the board with the Anti's in Washington...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, big article in the PI today.  Dave is saying that he never really backed the ban per se.  He thinks individuals need to be resposible for their own actions and the type of gun they own does not make a diff.  Off course the antis are spewing all their crap about how the streets will be flooded with AKs and how criminals will now have access to higher power weapons etc.  All dave said about banning things is that he would prefer to see the hi-cap (reg-cap) mags gone.  He said that if officers are pinned by a guy with an 80 round "banana clip" they don't have much of a chance.  If the perps have to reload every now and then the cops can take advantage of the lull in shooting.

Not perfect but much better than I thought of him before.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes, big article in the PI today.  Dave is saying that he never really backed the ban per se.  He thinks individuals need to be resposible for their own actions and the type of gun they own does not make a diff.  Off course the antis are spewing all their crap about how the streets will be flooded with AKs and how criminals will now have access to higher power weapons etc.  All dave said about banning things is that he would prefer to see the hi-cap (reg-cap) mags gone.  He said that if officers are pinned by a guy with an 80 round "banana clip" they don't have much of a chance.  If the perps have to reload every now and then the cops can take advantage of the lull in shooting.

Or just saying what he thinks he needs to in order to appease/appeal to conservative voters.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or just saying what he thinks he needs to in order to appease/appeal to conservative voters.

I have not read the story yet....( In not at work yet) But Im willing to go along with Boomer on this one....I know Washington cease fire is going to have a cow!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Basicly, what he is saying, criminals dont follow the laws.  And people who do follow the law are penalized.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
All ya all may be correct!  I really like what he SAID but who the fuck knows what he thinks.  If his actions follow his words then he is our man.  If hes fibbing, may he rot in hell!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#6]
PI Article
Friday, August 27, 2004

Reichert opposes assault weapons ban
Sheriff's support for letting law expire shocks activists

By CHRIS McGANN
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER CAPITOL CORRESPONDENT

Dave Reichert, King County sheriff and Republican congressional candidate, recently told a group of Second Amendment advocates that he supports letting the federal ban on assault weapons expire.

His position shocked community activists with whom he had worked closely in the past to establish and promote gun-violence prevention programs. It is also at odds with a wide segment of law enforcement officials, including Seattle police Chief Gil Kerlikowske.

But Reichert said yesterday his statement should not come as a surprise to anyone.

"I've never changed my position," Reichert said. "My whole point has always been holding gun owners responsible and accountable and always focusing on those people who were committing crimes with guns. ... I've never felt that the banning of certain weapons has really done anything at all."

But that clear stance has not been so obvious to some who have, up to now, regarded Reichert as a steadfast ally.

"I'm stunned," said Pamela Eakes, founder of Mothers Against Violence in America. "He has been so firm on this issue."

Eakes said she was happy when Reichert told her he was going to run for Congress because she thought she could count on him to uphold the assault-weapons ban based on his past support of it.

"Dave has spoken in support of the assault-weapons ban," Eakes said. "He has been an advocate and a friend of those who care about saving lives and keeping children away from guns."

She said the only reservation she'd ever heard Reichert express about the law was that it was not strong enough.

In 1999, Reichert knocked heads with the King County Council because he wanted to destroy seized semiautomatic assault weapons, rifles and shotguns to prevent them from returning to the streets. The council said a state law prohibited them from amending a county law that required his department to sell or trade surplus and seized rifles and shotguns as well as "handguns of potential value" to licensed dealers.

Yesterday, Reichert said the legislation that bans sales of semiautomatic assault weapons was ineffective.

The federal assault-weapons law was passed in 1994 as part of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act. It prohibits the manufacture, sale and importation of certain military-style, semiautomatic weapons and ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. The law will expire next month unless Congress and President Bush renew it.

The bedrock of Reichert's campaign has been the reputation he earned as the man who brought the Green River Killer to justice. His stance on specific issues, including the weapons ban, largely mirrored those of the Bush administration.

In the case of the assault-weapons ban, Bush has been accused of changing course.

In an Op-Ed article that ran this week in The Christian Science Monitor, Kerlikowske implored Bush to follow through on his 1999 campaign promise to support the reauthorization of the ban.

"The ban was passed for very practical reasons," Kerlikowske wrote. "Prior to 1994, criminals were armed with enough firepower to outgun the police, making them nearly impossible to subdue, and allowing them to wreak terrible havoc in public places. The ban kept military-style assault weapons out of the hands of criminals. Since the passage of the ban, federal crime statistics show a dramatic 66-percent drop in the incidence of assault weapons traced to crimes. Given that, I can't think of a rational reason not to renew this law."

Reichert said there are statistics that can be used to support both sides of the debate. And there's at least one other distinction between the two top cops that could have something to do with their differing points of view, Reichert said.

"He's an appointed chief, and I'm an elected sheriff," Reichert said.

He said the confusion is the result of his political opponents trying to "paint" him in a certain light. "This isn't the only issue that has been twisted."

But Reichert admits his support of allowing the weapons ban to sunset is based on only part of the legislation -- the part that bans particular semiautomatic weapons.

He said high-capacity magazines are the real problem for law enforcement. "I don't like the idea of someone having a magazine that can carry 40 rounds and point it at me, as a police officer."

Restricting the magazine capacity to 10 rounds of ammunition gives his men a fighting chance, he said.

"At least (a criminal) has got to reload somehow, which gives us some time. If you've got a guy there with a semiautomatic weapon and he's got a banana clip and he's got 80 rounds, he can shoot at us forever and keep us pinned down."

The assault-weapons ban outlaws such clips, but because the prohibition is linked to the ban to the firearms themselves, the whole bill should be abolished, Reichert said.

And once both parts of the bill are scrapped?

"I wouldn't propose another bill." Reichert said. "It's not my purpose to go back to Congress and introduce any other legislation that would limit gun ownership or limit magazine capacity. I'm going back to Congress because I want to focus on homeland security. I want to focus on jobs and the economy. I want to focus on health care and traffic."

Allan Gottlieb, founder of the Second Amendment foundation, said he appreciated the reassurances Reichert offered his and other gun rights groups in attendance at the fund-raiser at Wade's Gun Range in Bellevue on Aug. 20.

"He definitely has the right instincts," Gottlieb said of Reichert. "He hasn't done anything to lead me to believe we couldn't count on him."

P-I reporter Chris McGann can be reached at 360-943-3990 or [email protected]

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
PI Article

Dave Reichert, King County sheriff and Republican congressional candidate, recently told a group of Second Amendment advocates that he supports letting the federal ban on assault weapons expire.

Now just where was Reichert at when he told the 2A advocates this?

Why he was at his fundraiser of course!

Shooting for Victory

Please join us in supporting Dave Reichert

Washington 8th Congressional District Candidate

Hosted by
Wade Gaughran and Wade¹s Eastside Guns

Featuring special guests
KVI Talk Show Host John Carlson
Dave Workman

Please join us for an exciting evening with Dave Reichert at Wade¹s.

Arrive early and shoot with the Sheriff!

Ammo and Guns Included!

This Friday August 20th -- 6:00pm-7:30pm

Wade¹s Eastside Guns
13570 Bel-Red Road
Bellevue, WA 98005

$25 Suggested Donation

$100 to Shoot with the Sheriff

Compare and contrast what candidate Reichert said at his fundraiser to  the Sheriff Reichert who:

Is an endorser of Ceasefire of Washington
www.washingtonceasefire.org/ASK/endorser.htm

The same person who took part in a gun trol issue panel sponsored by the Social Action Committee of Temple De Hirsch Sinai  Feb. 25, 2001?

Rabbi Scott Sperling will open the discussion by presenting pertinent biblical passages to establish Torah-based reference for further discussion. Other panelists are King County Sheriff David Reichert, Sandra Kraus (Washington CeaseFire), Rabbi David Rose (Congregation Herzl-Ner Tamid), Irv Benzion and Dave Workman (NRA Board members) and Joe Waldron (Second Amendment Foundation executive).
Pro-Gun Panelists are in BLUE  Reichert was obvioulsy on the anti-gun side

66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:F0PsccKbN-EJ:www.jtnews.net/news/archive/2001/comnewsFeb12001.htm+sheriff+Reichert+ceasefire&hl=en

The same person who favors "closing the gun show loophole"?  (Whatever TF that is!)
www.seattleweekly.com/features/0416/040421_news_8thdistrict.php

The same person who spoke at the Million Mom Marchs Seattle event?
www.galleryofguns.com/ShootingTimes/Articles/displayarticles.asp?id=2196

The same person who was a speaker at a WA Ceasefire organized event in 2001?
archives.thedaily.washington.edu/2001/030801/N2.Vigil.html

I say he wants to have it both ways, tell the gunnies he's anti AWB (put PRO- more than 10rd magazine ban), but for the antis he can point to his long record of anti-gun activities.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#8]
He still won't be getting my vote.  Diane T. or Luke Esser are more along the lines of what we would want defending our rights anyway.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:52:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, its amazing how dumb such an important person can be!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Wow, its amazing how dumb such an important person can be!

No, he thinks that he's going to fool us by sucking up to gunnies now, when he's stabbed us in the back all along.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Reichert said there are statistics that can be used to support both sides of the debate. And there's at least one other distinction between the two top cops that could have something to do with their differing points of view, Reichert said.

"He's an appointed chief, and I'm an elected sheriff," Reichert said.

I'll finish his sentence for him...   "He's an appointed chief, and I'm an elected sheriff, so I'll say what I think the people want to hear. He can show his true colors because he already has the job."

PRECISELY.    

On the other hand, he's easier to get rid of than Gil if he doesn't keep his promises.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
 Diane T. or Luke Esser are more along the lines of what we would want defending our rights anyway.

She's a hottie too!  Diane Tebelious(sp) was at the WAC show in Puyallup.  Kinda of a bummer though, she asked where I live and she said she never heard of it.  And I'm in her district!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:11:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top