Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2003 11:39:15 AM EDT
Just curious. Civilians are authorized to use it as you do not have to go through the gate to get to it, cost is something like $3.00/day. Granted, there's a range master and it's a little more controlled environment than, say, the Capital pit. Yardage is around 250-300 meters. Gotta sign-in shack that also sells some ammo and junk food, etc. However, post policy does require weapons to be "registered" with the MPs which can be done there at the shack. Phone number is 253-967-9803. Might meet up some time.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Never used it, (have used a few of the ranges that the civi's cant use )

I think it sounds like a "Formal Wash AR-15. shoot" is in the future?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I dunno about the "registering" part.  How does that work exactly?  

Do they have bench rests for each lane?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think it sounds like a "Formal Wash AR-15. shoot" is in the future?

I think you are 110% right on target...

Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Registering consists of filling out the Privately Owned Weapons sheet, i.e. name, address, make, model, etc. I don't agree with it, either, I just have to do it 'cause I'm active-duty. If I get pulled over by the MPs and it ain't, it's bye-bye for me. It doesn't, however, go to any state or local authorities, thankfully.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone shoot in the seattle area? I'm a member at the SPAA, any of you shoot there?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 4:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone shoot in the seattle area? I'm a member at the SPAA, any of you shoot there?

Not yet, but at 5 minutes from home, I have been interested for quite awhile...

The whole load one shoot one has kinda kept me at bay though....

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 4:09:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just curious. Civilians are authorized to use it as you do not have to go through the gate to get to it, cost is something like $3.00/day. Granted, there's a range master and it's a little more controlled environment than, say, the Capital pit. Yardage is around 250-300 meters. Gotta sign-in shack that also sells some ammo and junk food, etc. However, post policy does require weapons to be "registered" with the MPs which can be done there at the shack. Phone number is 253-967-9803. Might meet up some time.  

Is that the range phone number?

Where is the access to this range?

Operating hours?

I think this place needs visited. I could use some 300M targets!
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The whole load one shoot one has kinda kept me at bay though....

Oh no!  Not that subject again!
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Is that the range phone number?

Where is the access to this range?

Operating hours?

I think this place needs visited. I could use some 300M targets!

Yes, that's the number straight to the range shack. It just so happens, though, that it has been closed so far this weekend due to range fire hazards.

In order to bypass the gate you need to enter from the east side of post, off of Old Pacific Hwy. (Hwy 507??). I'll have to get back with you on the street name that you turn onto from the highway, although there is a sign next to the road that "points" to Ft. Lewis (it's like the only major hard-ball road heading west from 507, it's at a 4-way intersection) heading west off of Old Pacific Hwy. Keep in mind, though, that you will be on post once you make that turn off of the highway.

Operating hours:
Friday's   1:00pm - 7:00pm
Saturday/Sunday 10:00am - 4:00pm

If anyone's interested, we could possibly meet up sometime and head out there if unsure about finding it. FYI, however, this is a controlled range (i.e. "fire at will"; "cease fire, clear right, clear left", etc.) w/ range masters. Those of you that are ex-military, you know the deal, it's ran by military retirees (read "old dogs"). The firing line has overhead cover over cement flooring. There are shooting lanes with a bench per lane, approximately 12-lanes per side (rifle side and handgun side). Also, no rapid firing on the rifle side, one round per second is the rule of thumb. However, double/triple taps are allowed on the handgun side. I know... sound's a bit extreme, but people do periodically show up there that act like foos and are promptly told to leave. I don't make the rules, I just gotta abide by them.

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#10]
CavVet, The one shot rule indeed sucks, but it is so close to me! The thing I love about SPAA is they're pretty much never busy when I'm there, and I get my semi trigger time when I go out in the woods.
BTW the pistol range is NOT one round per mag, you can shoot a full mag, but some people I've talked to thought it was one round per mag no matter pistol or rifle.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Keep in mind, though, that you will be on post once you make that turn off of the highway.

How does this effect me? Is my CCW non valid? Do all weapons need to be unloaded and locked up?

Operating hours:
Friday's   1:00pm - 7:00pm
Saturday/Sunday 10:00am - 4:00pm

This sounds GREAT!!! I am so there next Sunday IF They are open!

FYI, however, this is a controlled range (i.e. "fire at will"; "cease fire, clear right, clear left", etc.) w/ range masters. Those of you that are ex-military, you know the deal, it's ran by military retirees (read "old dogs").

No Brass No Ammo Sgt.!!!

I am ready. Next Sunday. I will start another thread, dependant on range open/closed. We did get rain in Seattle last night! YEAH!

Link Posted: 9/7/2003 2:00:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How does this effect me? Is my CCW non valid? Do all weapons need to be unloaded and locked up?

Yes, CCW permits are no good on federal property. As for the transportation of firearms, they do need to be unloaded, secured (in gun case) and not concealed, i.e. not under seat or in glove box. I usually just have mine laying in the back seat in the case. Also, ammo has to be separate from the firearm(s).  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top