Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2003 3:02:42 PM EDT
Im 20. If my dad, or a friend, buys a handgun, and gives it to me, is it legal for me to keep it in my residence/car, or take it into the woods/range shooting? I thought it was legal for someone under the age of 18 to own/have a rifle, just not *buy* one. Was seeing if it was the same for pistols.

Thanks

Alex
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]

RCW 9.41.240
Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.
Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:
    (1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

RCW 9.41.042
Children -- Permissible firearm possession.
RCW 9.41.040(1)(b)(iii) shall not apply to any person under the age of eighteen years who is:
    (1) In attendance at a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course;

(2) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located or any other area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited;

(3) Engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group that uses firearms as a part of the performance;

(4) Hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the person under Title 77 RCW;

(5) In an area where the discharge of a firearm is permitted, is not trespassing, and the person either: (a) Is at least fourteen years of age, has been issued a hunter safety certificate, and is using a lawful firearm other than a pistol; or (b) is under the supervision of a parent, guardian, or other adult approved for the purpose by the parent or guardian;

(6) Traveling with any unloaded firearm in the person's possession to or from any activity described in subsection (1), (2), (3), (4), or (5) of this section;

(7) On real property under the control of his or her parent, other relative, or legal guardian and who has the permission of the parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm;

(8) At his or her residence and who, with the permission of his or her parent or legal guardian, possesses a firearm for the purpose of exercising the rights specified in RCW 9A.16.020(3); or

(9) Is a member of the armed forces of the United States, national guard, or organized reserves, when on duty.

RCW 9.41.050
Carrying firearms.
<snip>
(3) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Link Posted: 4/22/2003 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#2]
You guys are my hero ;)
Specially you JAFO! I knew I could have it in my home or on my property (car)

Have to get my dad to spend my money to buy that HK USP45 now.

Funny thing is:

5) In an area where the discharge of a firearm is permitted, is not trespassing, and the person either: (a) Is at least fourteen years of age, has been issued a hunter safety certificate, and is using a lawful firearm other than a pistol;

means that if I have my AR15, a hunter safety certificate (LOL)...im legal pretty much anywhere out in the woods thats. Am I reading that right?
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You guys are my hero ;)
Specially you JAFO! I knew I could have it in my home or on my property (car)

Have to get my dad to spend my money to buy that HK USP45 now.

Funny thing is:

5) In an area where the discharge of a firearm is permitted, is not trespassing, and the person either: (a) Is at least fourteen years of age, has been issued a hunter safety certificate, and is using a lawful firearm other than a pistol;

means that if I have my AR15, a hunter safety certificate (LOL)...im legal pretty much anywhere out in the woods thats. Am I reading that right?

It certainly looks that way to me, but I must provide the disclaimer: I am not an attorney, judge, police officer, or any other representative of the legal system ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top