Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2005 8:36:21 AM EDT
Saw the usual crowd there - no need to comment on the obvious. AR-15 prices seem to be stabilizing a bit, there were many fair prices on them. Lots of Yugo SKS and some fair prices on WASRs and one SAR.

Here's a good one: look for an AK in the brown plastic East German furniture. Ignore the stupid muzzle brake, it's an FEG receiver. $500.

There's a guy selling lots of AR stuff, Tango Down, MagPul etc. for fair prices. Also saw some H&K AR mags for $47.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I didn't bother going this time.

I lived in another state for a few years ,and I hadn't been to an
Monroeville  Expomart gunshow since before they were forced to
hold it elsewhere.

I moved back and was recently able to go to the last one.

HUGE diappointment.

This gunshow isn't even 1/3rd the size of what it was a few years ago.

The officers in the PGCA are all different ,and people I don't recognize.

I've been told those who have taken over are the antique weapons collector types.

You know ,the guys that don't care if assault weapons get banned ?
Some think of them as " rich gun snobs " .
I think you understand.
They tried to keep away the dealers that sold military style weapons .

I heard that several dealers were at one time asked not to come back by them because
of the type of firearms they sold.

I was told by some dealers that frequented the shows that the attitude of these
people chased away a lot of the old gunshow crowd that I remember.

There were 3 gunshows I used to go to every time.
Monroeville,Harrisburg , and Grange Fair gunshow.

All dissappointed me this year.
Maybe they will improve since the ban is over.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 12:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
How was the supply of ammo?

I am going sunday and wanted to get some 223 and 7.62 x 39.
Maybe some 45 and 9mm.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I went today also and was a bit disapointed. I was hoping that the guy that sells all the AR parts was going to be there but he wasnt. All I needed was a lousy front sling swivel and rivet for my AR. There must have been another show because some of the usual vendors were'nt there. Although there was alot of AR's there today some for fair prices. Still there is a lack of good parts dealers that sell lowers and uppers and LPKs etc. Ammo looked plentiful.  I would say the show was better in some areas and lacking in others. But it is still a gunshow so I will continue to go. Never know what will pop up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone recall if RF distributers was there? They sell DeSantis and Alessi holsters. I'm looking for some holsters for a couple of my kimbers.(4"&5")
Thanks
Cazio
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Was there looking for Sherluck for some parts but they were nowhere to be found. Checking out some ammo when the one dealer AD'd a round into his leg --nothing like a sharp POP! at a gunshow to get eveyones attention. Apparently he pulled a small caliber HG out of a case and failed to clear it before dry firing it into his knee/shin. Later on I  went by that table and his Family/Workers were packing up thier table and what I assume was his wife/GF whatever was putting more HG's away. In  the process she is failing to check them/finger on trigger/muzzle sweeping the entire hall.  These folks are another ND waiting to happen.
Dan Tobin (DansAmmo) Was about 10 feet away at his table at the time lucky for him and the rest of the folks nearby the round lodged and did not exit/ricochet. There were some guys there with some AR stuff but both had on OLY shirts and  were heavy wth OLY product was wondering if OLY had dealers on the gunshoow circuit now ?
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Saw a few things I wanted but cost too much! A few dealers had Colt 6920's in the $1500 range. One guy had DSA Para FAL for $2199 .
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:12:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Cazio,  there was a dealer there that had a ton of holsters etc. I am not sure of his name and I dont recall seeing him there before.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks SHOOTIN,
That's probably him. I trying to motivate myself to go. It's about an hour and fifteen for me to get there.

Cazio
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:20:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Checking out some ammo when the one dealer AD'd a round into his leg --nothing like a sharp POP! at a gunshow to get eveyones attention. Apparently he pulled a small caliber HG out of a case and failed to clear it before dry firing it into his knee/shin. Later on I  went by that table and his Family/Workers were packing up thier table and what I assume was his wife/GF whatever was putting more HG's away. In  the process she is failing to check them/finger on trigger/muzzle sweeping the entire hall.  These folks are another ND waiting to happen.

I guess we can say Goodbye to Gun Shows at the ExpoMart!    
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Thats pretty much the impression I got from all the vendors.    Apparently the owners of the Expomart are anti-gun, and have been waiting for something like this to happen so they can stop having any gun shows there.  

That sucks.  The expo mart gun show was my steady source for cheap 10mm, and wolf 22lr!

Yes, RFholsters was there, btw.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:12:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's an acticle from the Post Gazette:  Link to Story

]Monroeville shooting investigated

Monday, May 16, 2005

Police are still investigating the apparently accidental shooting of a Monroeville man at the Pennsylvania Gun Collectors Association Show at the Pittsburgh ExpoMart in Monroeville Saturday, Cpl. Robert McConnell said yesterday.

Walter Gladkoski, 65, was taken to Mercy Hospital after he was shot in the lower leg.

John Bogesdorfer, 64, of Monroeville, was handling a 9 mm semi-automatic handgun at the booth of Hannah's Gun Shop of Tipton, Blair County, when the gun went off, wounding Gladkoski, who was at another booth.

McConnell said he wanted to talk with other law enforcement people who "have more experience" before closing the investigation.

Hope its not the end of the Monroeville shows but I'm sure the next show will be different in some way if they remain at the Expo Mart.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:21:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Much more detailed arcticle from the Tribune Review

By Karen Zapf
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, May 16, 2005

A mix of shock and terror filled John Bogesdorfer when the gun went off.

"It sounded like a metal chair falling," Bogesdorfer, 64, of Monroeville, said Sunday.

A bullet ricocheted off the floor at the Pittsburgh ExpoMart in Monroeville at 11:30 a.m. Saturday and struck customer Walter Gladkowski, 65, of Monroeville in the shin. Bogesdorfer, another customer at a neighboring booth, had just been handed the weapon at the Pennsylvania Gun Collectors Association show when it discharged.

Gladkowski was treated and released at Mercy Hospital, Pittsburgh. He still was walking with a limp Sunday at his home in Monroeville, where he declined to comment. Monroeville police Lt. David Palermo said he doubts any charges will be filed in the incident.

The weapon was displayed by Hannah's Gun Shop of Tipton, Blair County, police said. Hannah's voluntarily left the show after the shooting, said association President Richard Vensel. Hannah's could not be reached for comment.

Hannah's is licensed to deal firearms, and signed an application taking responsibility for the safe distribution of weapons at the show, Vensel said. A club investigation will determine whether Hannah's will be allowed at future shows, which are held at the ExpoMart every two months, Vensel said.

Federal licenses are required to import, manufacture and sell firearms. Show rules require that guns be unloaded, tied and magazines removed, Vensel said. Basic firearms practices call for anyone handling a weapon to ensure that it's unloaded, Vensel said.

"There was some violation, not only of our rules and regulations, but also state rules," Vensel said.

Pennsylvania law requires buyers at gun shows to undergo background checks, and the state promotes safe firearms handling through brochures, the Internet and a national gun safety program.

David Zimmaro, Bogesdorfer's attorney, said his client was "shaken" by the incident, which happened after Bogesdorfer was handed a gun from a case at Hannah's table in the middle of the showroom.

"He was concerned about the people immediately around him and himself," Zimmaro said.

Bogesdorfer said he did not know the victim.

This is the first accidental discharge of a firearm involving the club in 57 years, Vensel said.

About 3,000 people attended the show on Saturday, Vensel said. Attendance was down slightly Sunday, likely because of the weather, he said.

The gun club is reviewing safety measures for its shows, Vensel said.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Great.  I wonder if they'll start wanding people at the entrance now to make sure you aren't CCW'ing. ;P  Yeah, it's OUR fault, even though the guy who discharged the round was clearly negligent in his handling.  This type of incident CANNOT HAPPEN if people follow BASIC rules of safe handling.

Now THERE'S a good idea.  Make everyone who wants to enter produce evidence of gun safety training. ;)
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#14]
This really pisses me off. Every firearm there could have had a round in the chamber and been cocked with the safety off and this still shouldn't have happened!

This most likey will be the end of gunshows at the Expo Mart. Because of some old fool.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Did anyone price new 30 round USGI magazines or XM193 ammo? Was JT Distributing at the show? Making buying plans for the next show if they still have one. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 5:45:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll be pissed if they shut this show down. It is the only one that I can go to. I dont have the time to travel hours to a gun show.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Did anyone price new 30 round USGI magazines or XM193 ammo? Was JT Distributing at the show? Making buying plans for the next show if they still have one. Thanks.

I did see a bunch of new Bushmaster 30 round mags for less than $20 IIRC (I think they were 14 but I am not sure,  2005 dates on the wrapper though ) from the one guy whose shop is over in Freedom. I dont have his card up here but its like Guyzak's gun shop or something like that had alot of mags for sale AK/AR all types I was surprised the british and tiawaneese steel mags are now somewhat pricey at 20-25 dollars now that american made new production is overtaking demand.  

Too bad about the AD --heard it on the radio this morning -local news on 104.7. KDKA did a blurb on it during last nights newcast too. That dealer (and his entourage ) need 2x4 upside the head and a refresher course in basic safe gunhandling. Pure lazyness and complacency caused this accident and the old man who was hit has already lawyerd up.........!

edited to add
Sorry my mistake that place is in Ambridge --not Freedom--on Duss ave open M-T-W-T, 6-9pm

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top