Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 12:10:12 PM EDT
Here's a third hand story of why not to pull a gun unless you intend to use it.

My gf's friend (I always hate stories that start out like this) and her boyfriend were coming back from shooting his AK out in the desert. On the way home a guy started to tail gate him and became extremely agressive for no apparent reason. The bf tapped his breaks to give him the back off signal. At this point the aggresive driver became hostile and passed him and immediartely slammed on his breaks. The boyfriend got in front of him again and tried to out run him (4 lane road) just to get away and avoid anymore stuff. The car follows him around and won't back off. For some unknown reason the BF drives home and parks. The guy parks behind him and begins to approach him. At this point the BF pulls the unloaded AK out and brandishes the weapon. He did not point it at him. The guy gets in his car and drives off. Situation diffused. Ha.

Half hour later the bf and gf hear "Come out with your hands up and walk backwards towards my voice" The BG had called the cops and told them that he had threatened him and he was scared for his life, and oh yeah his TWO KIDS were in the car with him and saw it happen too. Ages appx 11,12.

The BF is now in jail for assault with a deadly weapon. I don't know if he has a CHL but I would assume not. Kind of crap sandwich of a situation, but a good lesson to all of us why not to brandish.

Side note: Anyone know of a lawyer in Tucson to contact about this kind of thing? I'd really like to help the guy out if possible.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Here's a third hand story of why not to pull a gun unless you intend to use it.

My gf's friend (I always hate stories that start out like this) and her boyfriend were coming back from shooting his AK out in the desert. On the way home a guy started to tail gate him and became extremely agressive for no apparent reason.
Slight whiff of already.

The bf tapped his breaks to give him the back off signal. At this point the aggresive driver became hostile and passed him and immediartely slammed on his breaks. The boyfriend got in front of him again and tried to out run him (4 lane road) just to get away and avoid anymore stuff.
Stupid manuever. Now you have to be looking BEHIND you to see what idiot is doing AND be looking ahead to watch the road at the same time. Rule #1: Keep the idiots IN FRONT OF YOU.

The car follows him around and won't back off. For some unknown reason the BF drives home and parks.
Even STUPIDER. The bf is an ignoramus. He gets what he asked for.

The guy parks behind him and begins to approach him. At this point the BF pulls the unloaded AK out and brandishes the weapon. He did not point it at him. The guy gets in his car and drives off. Situation diffused. Ha.
WRONG! He should call the police immediately. An aggressive stranger follows you to your HOME and approaches you and puts the fear of your life in you to the point you have to draw a weapon on him to get him to leave!???? CALL THE COPS IDIOT! Did he even get a license plate? Stupid.

Half hour later the bf and gf hear "Come out with your hands up and walk backwards towards my voice" The BG had called the cops and told them that he had threatened him and he was scared for his life, and oh yeah his TWO KIDS were in the car with him and saw it happen too. Ages appx 11,12.

The BF is now in jail for assault with a deadly weapon. I don't know if he has a CHL but I would assume not. Kind of crap sandwich of a situation, but a good lesson to all of us why not to brandish.
1. Stupid boyfriend dude probably wasn't being initially harrassed "for no apparent reason"
2. Stupid manuever to let BG follow you home.
3. Major stupid manuever to pull out an "unloaded" AK on an approaching stranger (as if the stranger knows it's unloaded - that could have started a painful one-way shootout if the stranger was packing).
4. Stupid manuever #4 was the boyfriend NOT calling the police immediately after BG leaves. THAT would have given him far more crediblity that HE was the one being threatened.

Just curious - is this stupid boyfriend dude a teenager? It sure sounds like it.

Side note: Anyone know of a lawyer in Tucson to contact about this kind of thing? I'd really like to help the guy out if possible.

IMO.

Oh and as far as advice - tell him to get a lawyer.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Macallan-

Thanks for the Monday Morning Quarterbacking. This guy is not a friend of mine nor have I ever met him, just thought I'd relay the story.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Macallan-

Thanks for the Monday Morning Quarterbacking.

Hey just trying to help.

But seriously though, there's really not much that can be done other than suggest a lawyer for the guy and learn from his mistakes (by pointing out the obvious).

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Macallan-

Thanks for the Monday Morning Quarterbacking. This guy is not a friend of mine nor have I ever met him, just thought I'd relay the story.

Doesnt the thread title say you need advise for a friend?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Macallan-

Thanks for the Monday Morning Quarterbacking.

Hey just trying to help.

You are helping...hopefully Village Idiot #2 will read this thread and learn something
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#7]
The same thing happened to a guy from work on Sunday. Is your GF's friends BF from Indiana?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:26:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Though the poster said it was a third hand story told to him...if it did in fact occur the way he related I would have drawn down on the BG..1)he followed me home and blocked my driveway and 2) he motioned towards me aggressively....I would have then "walked" him back to his car and got his plates then called the fuzz. BUT if I knew he was following me I would not have driven home.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree on the not driving home part as far as the best choice safety-wise.  And I would not choose to drive home either.  However from a legal-aftermath point of view, I would thing that's where driving home would have an advantage.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#10]
The others have posted good info.  

This story also points out a VERY important fact.

He who calls the Police FIRST is usually considered the victim.
If you ever have to pull your gun because you feel threatened, YOU
should be the first one to call the police.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:43:52 PM EDT
[#11]
It is strange that so many people on ARFCOM say defend first, call cops after, but when there actually is something that happens "drawing down" because they felt threatened was the worst possible thing. I receive a lot of mixed messages from this place :(
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I would have called the Po Pos as soon as he started acting agressive in front of me.

Definatley if I had to exced a safe speed to avoid him (chase)

I would inform the 911 that I am armed and that they need to GET HERE before I NEED TO DEFEND MYSELF AND MY WIFE. Sound scared and desparate. I AM BEING CHASED AT 100 MPH DOWN I17!!!!

That would have solved his problem.

SAY NOTHING if the Po Pos seem to be against you except.... I WAS IN FEAR OF MY LIFE and I WANT TO TALK TO MY LAWYER.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Didnt anyone ever tell him to keep one loaded mag when you go shooting?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It is strange that so many people on ARFCOM say defend first, call cops after, but when there actually is something that happens "drawing down" because they felt threatened was the worst possible thing. I receive a lot of mixed messages from this place :(

You have to do your part to avoid it if possible.  Trying to avoid drawing down, but knowing
that you WILL draw down if you have to is not a mixed message.  The only thing
mixed up here is you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Correct. I was confused. That DOES in some ways clear it up for me though. Hooray.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Calling the Fuzz first is tantamount. My black ass needs an edge when it comes to defensive situations. Don't mean  to bring race into it but being a 6ft, 300lb+ negro, I have to be very sure I am in the right otherwise its tent city for me. Honestly, its gotten to a point where I am afraid and downright unsure what to do in a possible defensive scenario.."Will I get arrested if i do this..." Shit! The law has me damn near immobilized.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Calling the Fuzz first is tantamount. My black ass needs an edge when it comes to defensive situations. Don't mean  to bring race into it but being a 6ft, 300lb+ negro, I have to be very sure I am in the right otherwise its tent city for me. Honestly, its gotten to a point where I am afraid and downright unsure what to do in a possible defensive scenario.."Will I get arrested if i do this..." Shit! The law has me damn near immobilized.

I've always read that when it's REALLY time, you'll know.   The law has us all damn near
immobilized, but you do probably have more stacked against you.   Don't let it
keep you from doing what needs to be done.  Hang in there.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Though the poster said it was a third hand story told to him...if it did in fact occur the way he related I would have drawn down on the BG..1)he followed me home and blocked my driveway and 2) he motioned towards me aggressively....I would have then "walked" him back to his car and got his plates then called the fuzz. BUT if I knew he was following me I would not have driven home.

That's right. The guy executed road-rage and then followed the victim home. The BF should have detained the BG, or at the least called 911 immediately. You do have the right to carry a weapon on you're own property. By the way, I would consider this defending one's life since a unknown road-rage dirver followed him to his house.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Lots and lots and lots of things the BF did wrong. But here’s the defense I would go with.
What was the 'victim' doing in the BF's neighborhood? That proves the BF was chased down. The ‘victim’ was in a running car pointed at the BF after having just chased him into his own neighborhood. The BF needs to have the ‘victim’ charged with assault with a deadly weapon right now!!!! As for brandishing, it was right in front of the guys house, the BF was simply taking his gun that he was just out shooting from his vehicle into his house and didn’t have a case for it.

Kevin
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:00:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Brings a quote to mind that I have read many times and so have most of you...

"Better to be judged by 12, then carried by 6."

In the original story things were done wrong, but in the end the guy and his girlfriend survived the encounter.  Who knows if he hadn’t pulled out the AK, the guy might have became more aggressive and attacked them.

Although a lot of trouble ensued, I would still know I was right, and protected my life and my girlfriend.  But once again I would  hope I would have called the police first, not gone home, and not gotten out of the vehicle so all in all it wouldn’t have happened anyway....
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Good news...All Charges Dropped, don't know why though. Lucky to say the least
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#23]
If I were the BF I would still have the 'victim' guy charged with assault. See how he likes the tables turned.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If I were the BF I would still have the 'victim' guy charged with assault. See how he likes the tables turned.

Once charges are dropped can they be brought up again?  If not I would stick it to that piece of shit and show him why it doesn't pay to be a lying asshole.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:53:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Ziess,

Glad to hear everything worked out.  If Arizona has an equivalent to California, it is Pima County (and maybe Bisbee, man, the nutjobs down there . . .)   Anyway, it is good to hear that the right thing got worked out in the end.  

JP out
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Glad it worked out for him.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Good to hear he's in the clear... and I hope a little wiser for his troubles.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Once charges are dropped can they be brought up again?  If not I would stick it to that piece of shit and show him why it doesn't pay to be a lying asshole.

Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Outstanding! Good for him. Though I hope he has learned from this event. Print out this thread and give it to him!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top