Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2004 6:31:38 PM EDT
WE MAY HAVE A MORE SERIOUS PROBLEM THAN WE THOUGHT.

I did some research tonight.  I choked on my soda when I found their annual reports.  READ THIS AND THINK:

2000:  "Citizens of Arizona to Prevent Gun Violence" formed 12/01/2000 as an Arizona non-profit corporation.  Started year with $4,510.00 in the bank.  Ended year with $20,015.00.

2001:  Unknown start figure but ended fiscal year with $31,808.39 in assets.

2002:  Obtained EIN because they grew large enough to get employees-- $33,000.00 in wages and $2,769.00 of benefits are paid in 2002.  Income includes contributions of $54,320.00 and a GOVERNMENT GRANT OF $50,000.00.  I wish I can start with $4 grand and be at $104,320.00 in TWO YEARS OF OPERATION.

2003:  Name changed from "Citizens of Arizona to Prevent Gun Violence" to "Arizonans for Gun Safety."  Those of you who are entrenched on the political front may see a simililarity to "Americans for Gun Safety," a national umbrella group created by monster.com BILLIONAIRE Andrew McKelvey.  He funds - FOR FREE - state groups to help enact state-level gun control.  Google it if you don't believe me.  Income is $18,048.00 including $10,000.00 from the "Alliance for Justice" and $2,087.00 from a fund-raiser "movie event."  Nearly $4,000.00 in individual donations also came in.

2004:  Income of $60,553.31.  Donations include $15,000.00 from the "Legacy Foundation," $2,500.00 from "Pima County Attorney," $21,000.00 from the "Arizona Community Foundation," $10,000.00 from the "Alliance for Justice," nearly $8,000.00 in individual donations, nearly $1,500.00 from their movie night fundraiser showing Runaway Jury, and about $400.00 in donations from the Womens Expo.  Payroll with payroll taxes tops $40,000.00 this year and rent is around $3,500.00.  The only bright area is that even with $72k in income and previous balances throughout the year, they only have $5,132.40 in a Bank of America account as of 04/01/04.

If that isn't enough, on 09/02/1999 "Helping Arizonans Limit Tragedy" was formed.  I think it was meant to be the original organization-- then they formed "Citizens of Arizona to Prevent Gun Violence" which later became "Arizonans for Gun Safety."  This "Helping Arizonans Limit Tragedy" had it's name changed to "Arizonans for Gun Safety" on 10/03/03-- this SCREAMS changing focus to a PAC.

2000:  No assets or liabilities.

2001:  $130.91 in the bank.

2002:  $920.00 in the bank and $130.00 in expenses.

2003:  Income includes an AGS GRANT PAYMENT OF $55,999.92 and $1,572.00 in donations from the womens expo. Expenses include nearly $40,000.00 in payroll and payroll taxes.

2004:  Income of $25.00 in donations and $550.00 from "AzGS."  Payroll drops to $2,502.27.

Want to see it for yourself?  Go to the Arizona Corporation Comission homepage and look for yourself-- it's public record.  LINKS LEFT COLD PURPOSELY.

Arizonans for Gun Safety:  http://starpas.cc.state.az.us/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/WService=wsbroker1/names-detail.p?name-id=08868285&type=CORPORATION

Arizonans for Gun Safety Advocacy Network:  http://starpas.cc.state.az.us/cgi-bin/wspd_cgi.sh/WService=wsbroker1/names-detail.p?name-id=08868296&type=CORPORATION

Arizonans for Gun Safety web homepage:  http://www.azgs.org

Just because we celebrated this week doesn't mean we won't cry next week.  Thoughts..?

Mike
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#1]
... Good research Mike.

… Remember folks, this is how California's anti-gun legislation got its start. First, it’s a seemingly innocuous organization or PAC under the radar and harmless.  Next thing you know they’re propositioning well-worded “sensible gun bills” before the State Legislature backed by cash.

… I certainly hope we’re not too euphoric over the federal AWB sunset to let antis in the back door thinking they can do no harm. That would be a shame, because they would given the chance.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
... Good research Mike.

… Remember folks, this is how California's anti-gun legislation got its start. First, it’s a seemingly innocuous organization or PAC under the radar and harmless.  Next thing you know they’re propositioning well-worded “sensible gun bills” before the State Legislature backed by cash.

… I certainly hope we’re not too euphoric over the federal AWB sunset to let antis in the back door thinking they can do no harm. That would be a shame, because they would given the chance.

Two thoughts--

1.  Get a time machine.  Ask nearly any Californian gun owner in the mid-80's what they thought it'd be like living in 2000 forward.  How many would name a ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds, that any new AR's would have their magazine well welded shut, that .50BMG would be illegal.....  Snakes don't strike until they're ready-- I think we found a snake before it's completely ready.

2.  Their financial records look like it was amateur night at H&R Block.  I'd love to see an audit-- WHO is getting paid, WHAT benefits are given...  WHERE the cash - especially that government grant - is coming from...  IF the Pima County Attorney mentioned is a public official...

More research is needed.  A LOT MORE.  These records raise questions - UGLY questions - that NEED answers.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top