Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2008 8:35:14 AM EDT
I have been looking and the only thing that I can really find it that is can't be within a certain distances (300 yards?) of another house and it cannot be within city limits.  Is there any other laws regarding shooting on your own land in Ohio?

Link Posted: 5/4/2008 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Most municipalities seem to have those pesky no fire ordinances.

If out in the country, check your township/county ordinances.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I think their is a law about 100 yards away from a dwelling.  Its a game law I believe
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Under the game laws there is a minimum distance from a property line and a min. distance from someone else's dwelling without their permission.  The numbers are escaping me at the moment.  

~Dan
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe you also have to be at least 300' from a public road. I'm not sure about that. You might want to look into that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC 300' from an occupied dwelling, 300 ' from a roadway

almost every village/town/city does have a discharging firearms statute, as well as noise ordinances

Townships do not have authority to regulate this type of activity IANAL YMMV I believe the only thing they could get ya on would be zoning related - this also does not mean the neighbors won't complain to the Sheriff - who will then have to investigate a possible complaint...
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#6]
It's been my experience that the cops will come out even if out in the township.  I've only had one bad experience, and even that was little more than irritation.
Link Posted: 5/4/2008 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the responses.
Link Posted: 5/5/2008 8:24:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2008 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you are just shooting, and not hunting distances from buildings/roads dont matter. If you live in a Township you can do all the shooting you want, right off your back porch. If you live in city limits, no shooting at all is legal, no matter how much land you have.

This is totally incorrect. I live in Liberty Township.  If you shoot off your back porch around here and you will be in deep shit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 3:14:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you are just shooting, and not hunting distances from buildings/roads dont matter. If you live in a Township you can do all the shooting you want, right off your back porch. If you live in city limits, no shooting at all is legal, no matter how much land you have.

This is totally incorrect. I live in Liberty Township.  If you shoot off your back porch around here and you will be in deep shit.

please explain why, and quote the section of the ORC that puts you in “deep shit”.  

My friend has this same problem, he lives just outside city limits ( I'm talking 25 yards but outside city limits). In the point of aim we shoot the closest dwelling is 2.5 miles probably more than that. Twice the cops came out, first time no problem, second time we we're threatened with "disorderly conduct" and something else. We weren't even drinking. We can find nothing in the code that prohibits this, Johnson township laws or state laws.  We just moved to where we shoot to 5 miles. I'd seriously like to know what the exact law is.
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I think it is highly subjective.  We had a neighbor in Washington Township who had a 100X150 lot bordering Centerville.  He used to shoot at animals in his garden and another neighbor called the police and they prety mutch stated there was nothing they could do if he kept it in his yard.

One of our friends lives on 10 Acres up the street from us, and somebody called and complained about the noise and they pretty mutch got told if anyone can find one bullet on somebody elses property, they would get charge with reckless endagerment or something like that. Their main problem is the direction they shoot towards borders 200 acres of empty farmland that was recently purchased by someone who is very anti-gun, even though he doesn't recide there, he likes to make a big stink.

I know, I stopped to look at a lot bordering his and I hadn't been there 3 minutes we came tooling up the lane in his truck and gave me a 10 minute disertation about the evil of guns.  I kept looking to see if I was dressed in gun apparel or something, and nope ...nothing.  I guess he just lectures everyone.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/7/2008 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

please explain why, and quote the section of the ORC that puts you in “deep shit”.  

I suppose I'm using common sense. I live in a subdivision that has other subdivisions around it. We are in a Township, not a city. I believe if I were to discharge a firearm in my back yard I could be charged with public endanagerment or some other crime.
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Kinda depends on the neighbors calling. Police have to respond to firearms call's, so I've been told by our County Sheriff's. We have had them show up a few times. The Sherriffs are pretty decent here in the township.

Problem is city people moving to cow patty country here. Most are real dickheads that ride there bicycles and jog around here. You can spot there dumb asses a mile off as real people get enough excersise with work here. Funny thing is quite a few seem to think they can just take walks on farm property next to there houses WRONG
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 4:52:33 PM EDT
[#16]
carbine85, you and I are neighbors.  I too live in Liberty Twp.  While it may not be "illegal per the ORC" it is probably not very smart to fire a gun in the backyard.  I agree with ya on that and I guarantee if you did, you would get a visit from some of Sheriff Jones' deputies.  Same thing goes for West Chester Township.  I don't think there is anyplace in the township where your neighbor isn't within a 25'.  I've lived in the area for 30 years and seen it go from rural farm community to what is is now.  That's progress I guess.

I like you live in a subdivision.  But there are still places in the township(Liberty) that you could get away with shooting in your yard.   If I had 5-10 acres, I'd be tempted to build a berm and have at it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:

I live in Monclova and everybody shoots but me.  Seems if I do anything like start a bonfire or something they call on us.  One Jerk that moved out here callled the sheriff and to get him to come out to our neighbors he said it was automatic gun fire.  Guess what the Sheriff found........ a few 60-70 year olds with black powder rifles. so I always goto a gun club.  I specifically found a noise ordinance that states.........

SECTION 1. Definitions

D. Permitted Hunting or Target Shooting
Hunting or target shooting by an individual, or individuals, on designated public hunting
lands, or having the written permission of a private landowner, with that individual, or
individuals, having also secured the proper license(s) by the Ohio Department of Natural
Resources and while hunting within the permitted season(s) as designated by the Ohio
Department of Natural Resources – Division of Wildlife, unless said individual, or
individuals are hunting on land that they own; or a qualified tenant or manager on land
that they rent and whose annual income is primarily derived from agricultural production
conducted on said land; or are grandchildren, under the age of eighteen (18), hunting on
land owned by their grandparent(s).

-----------------------------------------

No distances are listed.

-------------------------

SECTION 5. Exceptions    (to noise control)

F. Permitted hunting or target shooting.

---------------------------------

http://monclovatwp.org/sub/noise_resolution.pdf

I don't know if that helps but I'm not any good at looking up laws and stuff on the internet.

P.S. I think I accidently hit report on someone in here.  I meant to hit reply. sorry.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I live in Paulding county and have been shooting in the backyard for years. Everything from .22's to AR's  to big bores. No issues thus far. I can see problems in the future though, as more city people move into the area. The day I have to go to an actual shooting range is the day I move out west.
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#20]
in my home town there is a no dishcarge ordanance.  In the neighboring village you can hunt with a firearm, but you cannot target practice. If you fire more than 10 rounds there, the cops are probably going to give you a visit and tell you to stop.
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the responses.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I used to shoot at my uncles house. We were atleast 500 yards from any house and 500+yds off the road and in the middle of his 1000+ acre farm. We would have the sheriff show up every so often. I would tell them to bad im not breaking any laws. He would watch for a few then leave. I shoot groundhogs there now. Its fun....
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have been looking and the only thing that I can really find it that is can't be within a certain distances (300 yards?) of another house and it cannot be within city limits.  Is there any other laws regarding shooting on your own land in Ohio?

in most of europe, suppressors are encouraged, in some areas required, to be a "good neighbor" about shooting on your own property.
If no one hears shooting due to use of suppressors, how are the authorities going to be called?
specifically regarding distance, your city/town/township should have that spelled out in local regulations.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#24]
For an example.

My parents property is 2.5 acres in a rural sub division. Its in a township and I shoot my rifles, pistols, and shotguns on the property. If I were to measure the width of our property it would be about 75 yards and the length is prolly over 200. There is small hill that I shoot into. I have shot here for years and years. I think I may be lucky of good neighbors, but then again, I dont shoot all the time.

Im sure if you live in the country and practice safe shooting you would be OK. If the neighbor calls the local law on you, as long as things are in order and its not quite the best thing to do they will more than likely tell you to not shoot.

Come on, like with my situation, I could tell them how I shoot and where. It is safe and would more than likely be up to them. As long as you are civil why would they give you flack for what you are doing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#25]
My house is about close to 1000' feet from the road.  The one complaint I did have against my shooting I saw the deputy coming up the drive before he saw or heard any gunfire.  Just to screw with him, I hid my pistol and explained that I didn't know what he was talking about.

I got the "who the hell do you think you are fooling look" after he saw my range and empty casings on the ground.  He was pretty pissed. I then identified myself as a fellow LEO and he said as long as he was there he may as well get in some range time if I had any spare ammo.  He now stops by occassionally on duty and brings his own ammo now.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top