Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 2:17:28 AM EDT
For those California people looking for new and better way to pin your AR mag check this thread out at Calguns.  

www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=31090
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a good way to damage your lower just because some are too concerned about looks and what everyone else thinks of them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Looks like a good way to damage your lower just because some are too concerned about looks and what everyone else thinks of them.

How does that damage the lower?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shhhhh.. He's happy being whiney.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shhhhh.. He's happy being whiney.

good one leelaw.  Nah, it's actually a very thoughtful idea, but I've seen what setscrews do when they bite into a steel barrel, I'd hate to see what it does to an aluminum lower.  These aren't exactly the cheapest, easiest to replace items in this state either.  I'd rather have a fugly nut in place of the mag releas than risk damage to the lower.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 good one leelaw.  Nah, it's actually a very thoughtful idea, but I've seen what setscrews do when they bite into a steel barrel, I'd hate to see what it does to an aluminum lower.  These aren't exactly the cheapest, easiest to replace items in this state either.  I'd rather have a fugly nut in place of the mag releas than risk damage to the lower.

Well, couldn't you just attach something to the end of the set screw? Or put something in there to pad your precious? Or round the tip? There's got to be a million ways to prevent damage.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, couldn't you just attach something to the end of the set screw? Or put something in there to pad your precious? Or round the tip? There's got to be a million ways to prevent damage.

It could be possible, I'm not sure and haven't really looked into it.  You must be careful that it isn't something that could fall off or if you pressed the release very hard it could punch through it and drop the mag anyway (like a rubber tip cover that is too thick, etc.)
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
When the assualt weapons laws here get thrown out as un-Constitutional just remove the button and replace it wtih another.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:28:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#11]
This set up is pretty neat. I have considered about this way before. But I have some questions.

1) The set screw in the picture looks very tiny. What is the size? What is the size of Allen wrench? What is the tap size?
2) Is there any harder spacer under the mag release button to prevent the receiver damage from set screw?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:22:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't see why you couldn't place a metal or plastic piece in there to protect the aluminum receiver wall.

You do realize that the receiver wall is about a 1/2" thick where the set screw bears, right?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:55:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You do realize that the receiver wall is about a 1/2" thick where the set screw bears, right?

That's exactly correct! But let the complainers complain...
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:19:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm well aware it shouldn't cause any functional issues, but why would I want to damage my lower simply to look cool when a less-cool looking solution works just as well and doesn't damage the lower?  I guess it's just all about looking cool these days.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, okay.

I see it as a much more elegant and innovative solution that was well thought out and executed.

You see it for its ninjaness.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm well aware it shouldn't cause any functional issues, but why would I want to damage my lower simply to look cool when a less-cool looking solution works just as well and doesn't damage the lower?  I guess it's just all about looking cool these days.

You are the one that said it will damage your lower not me or the manufacturer. But hey, as they say, "if someone wants to be a fool, get out of the way and let them."
What in the world makes you think that you need to torque this down till it damages something? I'll ask the question for you.

Because it will come loose? Bzzz, wrong again. I could get into rotation based on recoil but I think it will fall on deaf ears...

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#17]
my father and i are working on the same exact structure, however,  we made a mag release button out of nylon/plastic. Sure it takes some work and time, but it's better than damaging the aluminum button and buying a new one. I'll post pictures once we perfect it.
HERE'S A SAMPLE OF WHAT WE'VE GOT SO FAR
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/jonpark/AR15/don008.jpg
-Jon
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This set up is pretty neat. I have considered about this way before. But I have some questions.

1) The set screw in the picture looks very tiny. What is the size? What is the size of Allen wrench? What is the tap size?
2) Is there any harder spacer under the mag release button to prevent the receiver damage from set screw?hr

2) you can try and apply some plumber's tape or teflon tape at the tip, rubber, or nylon.
-Jon
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I like.

Drill and tap the rather soft aluminum of the magazine release - run a plunge caliper down there to see how deep the hole it - visit Home Depot for the matching hex screw. A dab of lock-tite and you're fixed.

I'll do this and document the procedures for here.

Any updates?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:11:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like.

Drill and tap the rather soft aluminum of the magazine release - run a plunge caliper down there to see how deep the hole it - visit Home Depot for the matching hex screw. A dab of lock-tite and you're fixed.

I'll do this and document the procedures for here.

Any updates?

The rain washed Home Depot away.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Come on leelaw, pony up and buy one. Don't be cheapskate. You can't do it any better yourself.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Come on leelaw, pony up and buy one. Don't be cheapskate. You can't do it any better yourself.

I'm a fan of the home-build/gunsmithing stuff
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I just finished doing this on my FAL, and that SOB was a mother F'r to tap! Woulda probably been worth 20 bucks to pay someone else to do it. I wonder if the AR one's are that hard
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I just finished doing this on my FAL, and that SOB was a mother F'r to tap! Woulda probably been worth 20 bucks to pay someone else to do it. I wonder if the AR one's are that hard

LOL! AR buttons are way soft. The problem might be in finding set screws small enough at the local hardware store.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#25]
If you can't find small set screws check out your local hobby store.  Most of today's RC cars use various size set screws-might even have a choice between standard and metric.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL! AR buttons are way soft. The problem might be in finding set screws small enough at the local hardware store.

I found small set screws, but then lengths I could find weren't right. Nothing long enough.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeah, you need 3/4" length.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:12:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Gents,

I saw a fellow selling this imaginitve idea at the Ventura Show yeasterday, I ALMOST bought 2 of the kits. What I did not buy was his story, he said he had spoken to Iggy Chin about the Sporting Conversions kit, and that in Chins mind it is not legal. Now we know that at this point in the whole off list lower situation that there are NO DOJ APPROVED ways to pin the mag.
    I know what  CFC 978.20 says about defining what a detachable magazine is and is not. But to sit there and tell me that Iggy Chin thought this new method was clearly ok, BULL****!!!!.
    Darin gets a ++++1 for his idea, and I know the fella was just being a salesman, but do not offend my intelligence.  And $25 for each kit seems a bit high. My .02 cents, let the flaming begin.

T44
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top