Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2017 4:55:13 PM EDT
Where do I start? Been posting here more then Iowa HTF.

Had a near death experience at my work. Sat down with family and had some discussions.

IM OUT OF HERE!!  Not happy anymore. Family is on board. We were just in Daytona a couple weeks ago and now if everything goes well will be there permanently in the next month or two. Have a lot of things to sell and figure out etc but it's time to take the leap for good. I know it is the right decision.

Already have housing figured out just need to figure out some employment.  

Wish me luck Florida I sure as hell miss you and can't wait to help offset the wrong people moving there!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Ha I'm used to it go there 2-3 times a year. Just got sunburnt there a couple weeks ago it was nice!

Not worried about the bars don't do that scene. Worked there over the summer before... yeah that's a different type of torture I will have to get used to. Any one got any use for a good ole midwestern country boy?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, here's an early welcome brother.

*just noticed I don't have the animations (specifically the beer toast)....so Cheers!
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks man. Hope everything goes well. The family needs this to work this time.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow so far it looks like the pay is pretty low down there. That sucks. Not even sure where to start looking for work down there. Short of finding a cattle guy or finding someone on a tractor lol.

I am not sure I want to look for work on craigslist, if its like here most positions advertised on there you don't want or don't want to work for that company and there is usually a reason why they post there.

I have a bad feeling this is going to be tough to find work. It was last time when I tried and couldn't really lock anything decent down so ended up moving back. I'm hoping to not fail this time but I damn sure don't want the majority of jobs I am seeing. Kind of nervous.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Typically the pay down here is lower...supply vs demand.  What do you do now and/or what other jobs have you had?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd say get your ducks in a row work wise before you come down.  Unless you're looking for a low pay service job it can be tough.   I've always thought a professional skilled handyman could make a nice living down here doing work on all the nicer houses around.  People are always looking to do things like re tile, do trim work, etc.  We don't have much of a trade base here and guys who do that type of work won't even call you back most of the time.  Also if you are a skilled machine operator there could be some opportunities.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#8]
enjoy your move

it was one of the best things I did last year

I live in the Shores and love it here

good luck
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Your not giving us much to go on.

The local public school system and the major colleges and universities are going strong.  If you can get a job with the local hospitals or with the educational institutions you can make a living wage with decent benefits.

Like I said, you didn't give us much to work with, but the large institutions hire plumbers, HVAC, Security (get your D and G licences).

Tell us what you were doing back home???

As you probably know, Daytona Beach is a service economy.  If you have a trade or skill you can find work, otherwise you will be working in the service industry.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd say get your ducks in a row work wise before you come down.  Unless you're looking for a low pay service job it can be tough.   I've always thought a professional skilled handyman could make a nice living down here doing work on all the nicer houses around.  People are always looking to do things like re tile, do trim work, etc.  We don't have much of a trade base here and guys who do that type of work won't even call you back most of the time.  Also if you are a skilled machine operator there could be some opportunities.
View Quote
Yeah that's the plan. I have a lot of stuff I have to go through here and will be job hunting the whole time. For the last 7 years I've been in the ag industry working with cattle, row crop, trucking, tractor, etc etc, Before that I helped manage my family's very large wholesale plant and greenhouse operation (which I know there is that industry down there)...I have quite a bit of management experience and experience in the automotive industry. Not much experience in the trades unfortunately, wish I did have more there. Pretty tough down there I'm seeing a lot of entry level jobs where they require years of experience and your own truck and tools and expect you to basically do everything yet only pay 10-13 an hour. Really?? How do ya'll do it down there with such low pay and such high expenses? Crazy!

I have held a Class A CDL with every endorsement for the last 8 years and have pulled pretty much everything up here. I have ran heavy equipment and the like. Have lots of spraying exp and had my license for a while. Have lots of varied experience.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, been super busy and trying to update this post at the same time, I know I didn't include much to go on. I posted a little bit in my previous post. I am open to a lot of things honestly.

I will be in Ormond and Flagler mostly. I'm guessing a lot of the things I will be looking for are further inland and I'm guessing a lot of the things I am used to doing are being done by day labor and immigrants?

About me I am huge 2A and conservative. I have old school mid-western values. I love hunting and fishing and racing. I have 2 little ones that wont be in school for a couple years, raising daughters down there scares the shit out of me by the way. I don't have much of a college education as I learned everything from the school of hard knocks. But I am not against going to school for something?

I am coming from a town of less then 1500 out in the middle of fields, so there has to be a lot more potential down there for growth.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Little further north and west, Hastings, Bunnell, there's serious farming, big farm operations. Also Timber. Not sure how you would go about finding the jobs, but the farms are there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#13]
That is kind of what I was thinking as well. I figure I will probably have to commute. Which is not a problem at all. Ormond/Daytona is temp anyways as we would rather be further inland because its a little more like where we come from and will probably be better for what we are looking for.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:30:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Came to post.
Welcome to Dirtona!

As posted above.

Bunnel..Hastings...Pierson..
There was ferneries hiring out past SR 11 and 40..with signs the other week(crew leader..pickers).ill see if it's still posted on my way into town for work.

Volusia county has shut for pay...
But even starting trade jobs don't pay bad..but anything AG your looking inland.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:32:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm guessing a lot of the things I will be looking for are further inland and I'm guessing a lot of the things I am used to doing are being done by day labor and immigrants?
View Quote
Man it's all done by Mexicans / Central Americans who will work 12 hours a day 7 days a week for $10-$13 an hour.  We basically have a cast system down here.  One place I would look is possibly Lykes Brothers in Glades County or maybe some of the ranching operations around Okeechobee but then you're basically in the same environment you're leaving except lower pay and a hell of of a lot hotter climate.  The automotive industry might be your best shot.  As far as ranching goes, our ranchers are rich guys who run their ranches as a hobby.  Even then we're still the 3rd largest cattle state east of the Mississippi.   I know a few ranch managers who do OK but even then they are usually third generation, connected, etc.  

I don't want to discourage you just keep looking.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#16]
No all good info thanks. Guess I won't be wearing my boots and jeans everyday

Sounds like it's going to be pretty tough to find something interesting. I do not want to work for a giant corp I know that.

Why can't a guy just get paid to hunt and fish. I don't know how those guys get so lucky, that sure would be nice!

ETA I'm used to $36k - $50k per year. That looks almost impossible down there from what I'm seeing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:41:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Daytona Beach (Volusia County) manufacturers are always saying that there are not enough skilled machinists.  The local college (Daytona State) has programs to prepare one for just those jobs.

I have no idea how long the program lasts.

They also have a well recognized welding program.

I have no idea if you can afford to not work or work part time while you go to school.  Just thought I would throw that out there for ya.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Electric/hvax tech...startin pay will put you near that 36+.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Protus I have thought about going to school for that line or work.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Hvac is a year round thing here. Lots of companies.
Depends on if your gonna school or just get your 608 and learn as you go.
Lot of electrical places as well. Bigger ones will send you to apprentice school as well.
I can ask around for opening as family/friends work in both fields.
Then there's service tech work ..thats 12-18 per hour in the dirtona area.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:31:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't know anything about the farm scene here except they are all over. If you are and experienced auto tech that should get you something and a CDL should open a lot of doors.
There are a lot of jobs around and it seems they like midwesterners since they tend to be harder workers.
Anyway, good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Expand your jobs searches to different types of sites.

http://www.agcareers.com/florida-jobs.cfm
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:27:53 PM EDT
[#24]
The apprentice ship program ..has pay rates per each hear you progress through it till completion.
Starting is 12- 14+-iirc. 
I'd you get in a bigger out fit they are supposed to pay you that..along with some that pay your way through the program.
Work during the day..school after.

Your first few years will be...
Shovel..dig..pull.bend..shovel..pull..bend..shovel..haul..pull.bend..with maybe some trim out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#25]
lol ouch... quite a hit from what I'm used to. I'm used to being the boss and making at minmum $17-20. Sounds like I'm going to need to find a sugar mama holy smokes!

That or start my own business when I get there....
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#26]
It's the price you pay to live in paradise.  

Honestly, pay is lower than many places and expenses are up there for food and rent (buying is cheaper though).  Advantage is no state income tax, every weekend is/can be a mini-vacation, and no damn snow.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is the best advice of the thread. If you show up on time, bid a fair price for work, do the work you say you're going to do, you will have NO trouble finding work. I live in the Ponte Vedra Beach area, so maybe it's different elsewhere. Any kind of work on the home is a pain in the ass. The guys around here typically don't return calls. If they do answer, half don't show up when they say they will. Finally, they never show up to do the work. It's terrible. The best people we've worked with are guys that used to do work in another state and are now killing it in Florida. Those guys are always in high demand and have more work than they can possibly do. 

If you're honestly willing to work, you will do fine. 

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Some pretty big tater farms west of St Aug all the way to Palatka. Don't know the pay but there is a lot of Ag in the area. Some other ideas, big paper mill in Palatka, huge new FED EX terminal in Ocala,
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like I need to go to school for HVAC or Construction.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 2:51:46 AM EDT
[#30]
My girlfriend and I make out pretty decent in volusia. We both have been in law enforcement under 5 years and make about 100k combined (no kids). Lived here all my life and yes there's plenty of crappy jobs, even county jobs don't pay a whole lot that require degrees.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top