Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2017 8:39:59 PM EDT
Gander Mountain may be on the brink of bankruptcy precipitating the closure of some, or even all, of its 160 locations.

If anyone uses their gunsmithing services, they might want to think twice about leaving a firearm at one of their stores for work to be done, or bringing one in for work that requires the gun being left there, since in the event of  sudden store closures under an approved bankruptcy agreement, it may or may not be difficult to retrieve the firearm for some time, until after an inventory is conducted of what property belongs to the company and/or its creditors, and what is actually property of customers.

If you already have a gun in the store's possession you might consider retrieving it ASAP.

If you've got a gift card; you might consider using it ASAP to the last penny as well, since under a court approved bankruptcy agreement, even in the event that the stores do remain open for business, the redemption of gift cards might be discontinued.

Who knows what will actually happen; but perhaps it's something to consider.

Just my own opinion; others may disagree.

I enjoy shopping at gander Mountain for items of apparel, fishing lures, and candy and such; I hope they remain in business and folks don't lose their jobs.

http://www.reuters.com/article/gandermountain-bankruptcy-idUSL1N1FV1O2

http://www.thomasdishaw.com/economy/iconic-retailer-gander-mountain-headed-for-bankruptcy-160-stores-closing/
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Sound advice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#2]
With their gun & ammo prices I won't miss 'em.  The majority of their other products are made by Chicoms, not a big plus in my book.  

Of course YMMV if ya like the place, in that case it ain't good news.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Only way I'd buy something firearm related from them is the blow things out when they do go under.

Knowing them, their version of blowing items out will still be higher priced than others day to day prices.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
With their gun & ammo prices
View Quote

Guns yes, ammo was reasonable for retail when I was in these over the summer.  9mm, .40, .45 was around $15-18/box.  .223 was still around $9/box.
Better then any gun store I ever been in.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:21:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been saying for years I don't see how they stay in business.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:15:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I buy tackle there and that's about it, maybe my fishing license, the gun stuff is insanely priced at the local store, maybe if they go into bankruptcy there will be a big sale.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#7]
heard that a handful of their stores have closed in the last couple months.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread should be under the General topics rather than under Just Florida.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Every time I go there I say I'll never go back. But then I do to browse. I rarely buy anything.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Was there today at the PBGardens store.  Holy hell, what a mess. The restaurant,  Tall Tales, officially close yesterday. It suked anyway. Speaking of Inventory, it has been canceled, lol. Who does that? I spoke with some associates and they cut out commissions and gave everyone .25 to 1.00 per hr raise. Lolzzzz

The old mgr Kevin was fired. As was most of thealmgt team . They put Mary, this NY bitch that hates guns and will gladly tell you if u ask, as Firearm Mgr. She was on a rant to a guy getting ammo about how HRC was robbed.

They don't know the difference between a Sig MPX and MCX, the signs all say MPX. When they have stocks on them. A 516 is marked MPX too.

You have to check in on a iPad before a clerk will help u. So people were standing waiting for help and the guy was like,u have to sign in, of course the iPad was broken.

I looked at the sales sheet in the ring. No gun sales for 2 days. I used to sell 8 guns a day on a slow day there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 10:41:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I was also at the Palm Beach Gardens store with my wife earlier this week looking for some tee shirts and fishing lures.

Unfortunately it appeared that their stock was limited and there was a lot of wasted floor space since what they did have was spread out and the aisle widened.

Besides my wife and I perusing the gun counter (which was also sparse), there was one other guy who was getting the "we're the largest seller of firearms in the world " speech from the single gun counterman.

A sales guy walked over to us from the floor and explained that "even though there's nobody here, management still wants customers to sign in over there"......

The restaurant was still open when we were there but it was virtually empty.

Too bad; I used to like that place years ago and enjoyed their game menu.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the store has already been padlocked by now; it was as quiet as a morgue and it didn't appear that management is doing anything meaningful to turn the place around, and the restaurant closing is an ominous sign that store traffic isn't expected to increase.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Was never too impressed with Gander, but still sad to see that they may be closing.  Have spend some money there mostly on stuff that was on clearance.
With new Bass Pro's in Gainesville and Daytona and a new Rural King going up in Ocala Gander here locally is going to struggle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was never too impressed with Gander, but still sad to see that they may be closing.  Have spend some money there mostly on stuff that was on clearance.
With new Bass Pro's in Gainesville and Daytona and a new Rural King going up in Ocala Gander here locally is going to struggle.
View Quote

Where's the Rural King going in??

As for Gander I've only purchased small, and I mean small items from them. I think I paid $29 or so for a Surefire G2 when they were closing out all the incans.  

Funny, I think they gave me 10% off since I applied for my Gander Mtn Mastercard. Put the light on it. Then turned around and asked if I could make a payment on my account and paid it off.

Guess my CC is going to be worthless now?? lol
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 7:02:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess it's official now

Gander Mountain files chapter 11
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Where's the Rural King going in??

As for Gander I've only purchased small, and I mean small items from them. I think I paid $29 or so for a Surefire G2 when they were closing out all the incans.  

Funny, I think they gave me 10% off since I applied for my Gander Mtn Mastercard. Put the light on it. Then turned around and asked if I could make a payment on my account and paid it off.

Guess my CC is going to be worthless now?? lol
View Quote

Rural king is going up on NW Blitchton road.  Over near the Marion County Sheriff's dept.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Rural king is going up on NW Blitchton road.  Over near the Marion County Sheriff's dept.
View Quote
Thanks. Do you know when it will open?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thanks. Do you know when it will open?
View Quote
No but i drive past it almost daily.  Will post when they are open.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No but i drive past it almost daily.  Will post when they are open.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow, had no idea! I was at their Lake Mary location yesterday! But yeah, their gun prices are ridiculous! My wife wanted to took at some of the guns they had after her first day at the range but a gun I can get for around $320 they had for $495
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top