Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 5:02:47 PM EDT
if the BATF issued personal FFL licenses used just for transfers for personal use. I say this after dropping $90 in transfer fees for 2 STRIPPED receivers valued at $198 shipped.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:37:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you need to use a different dealer to me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:56:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd say so....  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh I will... the last time I went there he charged me 15% on a complete receiver.. $40.. .this time he pulled somecrap about the receivers being under $200 each so he charged $45 flat fee each. I will not be going back.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:53:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy crap, he gave it to you straight up, no lube or reach around!!! Where are you in FL?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:42:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Holy crap, he gave it to you straight up, no lube or reach around!!! Where are you in FL?

I'm in Jacksonville
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#6]
$90?

WOW, I'm too cheap!  That's insane...

Who has the balls to charge that much?

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
this time he pulled somecrap about the receivers being under $200 each so he charged $45 flat fee each.

Damn...  that would make your ass bleed.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:43:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Geez... you coulda saved money by driving outta town to another dealer! That asshat is a crook!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#9]
That's about the average price around town. $40 for pistols EACH.. and $40 or 15% for rifles. I went there because I was expecting 15% of $200, about $30-$50, but yeah I got screwed on that one. It took all of 15 minutes to fill out the form and make the phone call. That was the fastest $90 I ever spent. My $15 hair cuts last longer and require more work!

What is someone suppose tod do in that situation? Refuse to accept it? I had already paid for the receivers. I figured I got screwed this time and I'll just pay up and go somewhere else next time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#10]

"Out" the dealer.

We always give advice on who the good ones are (ie. charge $20 per transfer) so I see no problem in publicizing the bad ones.

When I use the good dealers I let them know that I recommend them on here or I heard about them on here.  The guys that charge a reasonable amount on transfers and such will make it up in other purchases and referral business.  As they should.  The ripoff guys should suffer.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:11:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I wondered why I have so many clients come from Jax for a transfer.  Even with the hour and fifteen minute drive it looks like it still pays off.

What I can't get over is the "EACH" part!

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Me neither. Their's no aruing though... and the prices I qoued were the low side. I have a shop about a mile from my house and they want $65 a pistol and $65 a rifle. EACH!

What I really hate are the assholes who charge $40-50 then give you the "Why didn;t you just buy it from us" attitude when your fllling out the forms.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I wondered why I have so many clients come from Jax for a transfer.  Even with the hour and fifteen minute drive it looks like it still pays off.

Where are you an dhow much do you charge?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in Jacksonville

Who did you use [or who used you]?

I'm in JAX too, and want to make sure I never use him.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#15]
It was Jimmy's Jewelry & Pawn II off Lane Ave The next time around is going to be out of town..
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It was Jimmy's Jewelry & Pawn II off Lane Ave The next time around is going to be out of town..

Really?  

Have you bought stuff from him in the past?

I've gotten quite a few guns from him and got pretty good deals.

But $90 does seem a bit steep.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  

yeah I traferred a complete lower from him before, the price was $250 and he charged me $40 (15%) This time around he said that since the lowers were under $200 each, he was going to charge the flat $45 each. I didn't really aruge. I just paid up, and next time I'll go somewhere else. He tried to make it up by giving m deals on accessories but the price is still a bit much. I can't really single him out, ALL of the shops I either called or used in this city was right around that price. If you guys know anyone cheap in the N FL area, let me know!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Thats crazy. The Gun Shop I worked add was MUCH cheaper. We transfered like 6 firarms and only charged 50 bucks for ALL of them
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  

yeah I traferred a complete lower from him before, the price was $250 and he charged me $40 (15%) This time around he said that since the lowers were under $200 each, he was going to charge the flat $45 each. I didn't really aruge. I just paid up, and next time I'll go somewhere else. He tried to make it up by giving m deals on accessories but the price is still a bit much. I can't really single him out, ALL of the shops I either called or used in this city was right around that price. If you guys know anyone cheap in the N FL area, let me know!!

You could always try Green Acres.............
That's a joke.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you guys know anyone cheap in the N FL area, let me know!!

Ever use this?

www.auctionarms.com/help/fflnetwork.cfm
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#21]
And I found this one too.

www.gunbroker.com/user/DealerNetwork.asp
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:03:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Hot, damn! That sounded painful. It almost makes me feel better buying a stripped lower for $150.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#23]
This is a bit off topic but I HAD to post this fee.

SnakeyeGuns/Larry D O'Donnell
SnakeyeGuns

Transfer fee: 1-Case Coors Light Per wpn/order/transfer, plus $5.00 NICS, and 7% sales tax

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Have you tried Gun Gallery

Never used them personally, but know of someone who works there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I called everyone fromt he Auctionarms and Gunbroker listing, thats where I got most of the names. They all charge around $40 each.

Gun Gallery wanted $55 per pistol/rifle. I was there last week. Though they do have some really good prices on AR stuff. I'll buy from them, but I woulnd't try and transfer anything.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I called everyone fromt he Auctionarms and Gunbroker listing, thats where I got most of the names. They all charge around $40 each.

Gun Gallery wanted $55 per pistol/rifle. I was there last week. Though they do have some really good prices on AR stuff. I'll buy from them, but I woulnd't try and transfer anything.

That Snakeeye guy is down in Middleburg, it'd be worth the drive if he's still charging that and if that's true.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Where are you and how much do you charge?

Live Oak, FL about an hour and fifteen minute drive west of you.
I charge $20 + $5 NICS/FDLE.  That's $20 per TRANSFER, not "each".

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Where are you and how much do you charge?

Live Oak, FL about an hour and fifteen minute drive west of you.
I charge $20 + $5 NICS/FDLE.  That's $20 per TRANSFER, not "each".

Big +1 for burney.  I have had him do one transfer for me and order a pistol for me.  And yes I drove from Tallahassee to Live Oak to see him.  Course if you factor in the cost of Coffee in the morning before FDCC, I'm still ahead of the game.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#29]
FDCC is this weekend isn't it? I might go if M4-Tuna and Slug-O go.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#30]
FDCC is next weekend.  The 3 gun charity match is this weekend at Bradford.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top