Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/3/2005 8:28:07 PM EDT
Saturday October 8th, 9:00 AM until ?? Daytona Beach.   Photo linky on page 6

Well it DID go from 9:00 am until late.   MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - even for the guys who didn't recieve their Global Trades receivers, everyone STill got good things done.  
    I have a Spare ROMY kit if someone needs a kit to build.

Food....  Thanks Ar15 Club for the Crousants, Sausages and drinks.  It was very tasty.    

Drill Bits - I have them, but if you want to bring your own here's the sizes  5/32 inch, a 11/64",  and a  5/64 for pilot holes.

Spaces reserved: Who's bringing What...
1.  Terma-nator - S. Florida  MR. Expert, tools and talent.  Rivet Jigs and Essential tools.
2.  Hkinfl -  Ocala area, Ready to learn - Bringing Drill Press.
4.  ................................ this slot still available.
5.  85blazer - Jacksonville, New, bringing 12 Ton Press a la Lanceman.
6.  AR15club  - Orlando, Drill Press & bits, 6 inch Vise.  
7.  Me.  Second rodeo,  Have parking chemicals and molypaint
8.  Rentprop1 -  Brooksville Area, experienced, various tools.

Tropical Storms are cooling things down here.  College FOOTBALL SEASON
NEBRASKA CORNHUSKERS  4-1
 loses in final 17 seconds to Texas Tech 31-34.  TT rates 13.  Good showing for Nebraska
Florida        5-1,   Ranked   11,   Previous weeks:13,5, 5,6, 10th  
Fla. St.   5-0,   Ranked   4,  " :4, 6, 6, 8, 11th  
Miami         4-1,   Ranked   7,   " :9. 9, 12, 13, 14th

Daytona Beach temperatures are comfortable now.    Imagine a boys nite out at a beach cabana bar, cold beers and some tanned tight t-shirted girls... oh wait a minute, this is a build party.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:41:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd be in if we could get someone with tools and knowledge to come!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:45:47 AM EDT
[#2]
And we would be building???
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:06:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Looking to put together a group of folks with various levels of experience.   Lot's of us have some of the tools but not ALL the tools needed.  The big 'needed' is a 12 ton press (it weight about a 100 lbs), a and the rivit jig.  Most of the other tools I'm sure we can put together.... if there's enought interest.   i know that I WILL be going to the next build party in S.FLA.   These 'boys days out' are fun and you meet some fine people, share ideas and talents and just enjoy.

Ok.  Post and let's see if there's enough interest in to have a get together in Central FLA.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I would be interested, depending on what we build.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#5]
i'm guessing he's talking about AK's
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:18:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Count me as 'tentatively' in.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey, Walt...Mark here I will be moving to Hernando CO north of Tampa in comming months, I hosted the first So Fla build party, and yes we are talking AK's here, I have a few of the needed tools, and the knowledge, however no place to host this, I plan to split my time between Brooksville and Ft Laud until our house sells. If you guy do something on one of my travel weekends I will just fill the car with gun stuff rather than moving stuff...keep me posted if you plan something
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd like yo be there...Maybe I can. Any KRINK kits????
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Do you have interest in a build party someone around Orlando?   Lot's of kits being sold the past year.  Who wants to build one - or two?  

if your building aks be warned i built them for the milt sf, if you dont know what your doing and havent done SOME before you can really hurt yourself, you MUST know how to set the brl correctly,  from building kit to re-working the real thing they are ALL different spec's. using the 10ton press, if you dont use the right giggs you WILL destroy your kit, the giggs are custom made and milled.  there are many more things you can f-up so get the know-how first. i did them for a living and hated most of it. a lot of mill , and drill work... not bashing, just be carful. and if you do it good luck, and ask questions......
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I think Asher is planning on hosting  a build party in a few weeks.

Actually, building an ak is real easy. Not much to do wrong if you know what you're doing.

Krink kits are nearly all gone. There are some yugo krinks around.

I'll be at the next build party, but only to help out. And only if it's nearby.....
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you have interest in a build party someone around Orlando?   Lot's of kits being sold the past year.  Who wants to build one - or two?  

if your building aks be warned i built them for the milt sf, if you dont know what your doing and havent done SOME before you can really hurt yourself, you MUST know how to set the brl correctly,  from building kit to re-working the real thing they are ALL different spec's. using the 10ton press, if you dont use the right giggs you WILL destroy your kit, the giggs are custom made and milled.  there are many more things you can f-up so get the know-how first. i did them for a living and hated most of it. a lot of mill , and drill work... not bashing, just be carful. and if you do it good luck, and ask questions......

I must have got lucky or had some great coaches at the last party.  The various guns and builders turned out pretty darn good.  I wish I had not lost my build on a recent fishing trip because it ran Smooth as a Singer sewing machine, one shot at a time!    If you're interested in coming let us know.   Your experience will be welcomed.  Regards.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I wish I had not lost my build on a recent fishing trip because it ran SWEET like a Singer sewing machine!  :)  
.  Regards.  

What were you "fishing" for?

What kind of fish requires an AK?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I had not lost my build on a recent fishing trip because it ran SWEET like a Singer sewing machine!  :)  
.  Regards.  

Grouper fishing.  The AK was just for protection - just in case of pirates or a " Son of JAWS" attack.  I got this big bite on the line and son of gun,  I got excited.  I knocked that gun overboard.  Soooo... gotta build another  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:06:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The AK was just for protection - just in case of pirates or a " Son of JAWS" attack.  I got this big bite on the line and son of gun,  I got excited.  I knocked that gun overboard.  Soooo... gotta build another  

Check this gun out..........

The one on the right is the one that I built at that build party....

Now that's what you need for pirates!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:20:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

.  Regards.  

Grouper fishing.  The AK was just for protection - just in case of pirates or a " Son of JAWS" attack.  I got this big bite on the line and son of gun,  I got excited.  I knocked that gun overboard.  Soooo... gotta build another  

How far off do you go fishing that you might ecounter pirates?
Plus, why would you kill a shark if you are in the boat, they are harmless if you are IN the boat as far as i know!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

.  Regards.  

How far off do you go fishing that you might ecounter pirates?
Plus, why would you kill a shark if you are in the boat, they are harmless if you are IN the boat as far as i know!

What!??  You didn't see "Jaws" back in 1974?  That sucker can punch a hole in the side of a boat faster than you can say 'tuna' and gobble up everyone inside.   As for pirates, heck they're everywhere, even on land.  Just go to a Dolphins or Tampa Bucs game - prices of tickets and parking IS piracy.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:15:13 PM EDT
[#17]

What!?? You didn't see "Jaws" back in 1974? That sucker can punch a hole in the side of a boat faster than you can say 'tuna' and gobble up everyone inside. As for pirates, heck they're everywhere, even on land. Just go to a Dolphins or Tampa Bucs game - prices of tickets and parking IS piracy.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I never thought of using that as an excuse for the ATF I went fishing and it FELL overboard...
I think Asher had to back out of the next party, he is a little busy right now..I might be wrong.

Marc Krebs from Krebs Custom builds some of the finest made-acurate AK on the market, they come with a heavy price tag, He will be teaching a 45 ACP 1911 class at the gunsmith shool I attended back in June, the guys that ran the school were going to ask him about teaching a AK class ...We can only hope, it would not be anywhere near Florida though
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, for dates in general I'm good for end of Sept, early Oct.  That should give us time to find out who's who and get a good group together plus accumulate the needed parts, receivers, etc.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#20]
i cant really build anything, but I would love to come watch.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok, guys, this is the propective tentative sign up sheet .   October 8th or the 15th.
hkinfl
Osprey21 (tentatively)
Regnar33
dsg2003gt - observer.

Wanted Rentprop1
           Terma-nator
          where's 1BMF???
Also, I'm in contact with a licenced gun builder (he does some beautiful ak's)  in the orlando area and he said he'll be happy to come.  

Talk to me guys.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:45:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Would we be doing flats or finished receivers? Need to find out so I can get ordering!! I should be good with either one of those dates. I'd be willing to get flats 5 at a time from midwestarmory if people want to get some.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:53:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Ok, guys, this is the propective tentative sign up sheet .   October 8th or the 15th.
hkinfl
Osprey21 (tentatively)
Regnar33
dsg2003gt - observer.

Wanted Rentprop1
           Terma-nator
          where's 1BMF???
Also, I'm in contact with a licenced gun builder (he does some beautiful ak's)  in the orlando area and he said he'll be happy to come.  

Talk to me guys.

Why is the date so far in the future? These things shouldn't be planned more than 2 weeks in advance.

But It doesn't matter too much to me. I'm done (pretty much) with building.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Would we be doing flats or finished receivers? Need to find out so I can get ordering!! I should be good with either one of those dates. I'd be willing to get flats 5 at a time from midwestarmory if people want to get some.

I've ordered in a couple of ready to use Global Trades Receivers for myself.  Gives a BIG headstart and they made a huge difference in getting the gun built & running.  

There's nothing wrong with Flats IF you know what you're doing.   If you have plenty of experience go ahead and bring your bending equipment and flats.    Everyone else - FFL commercially made receivers only.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd be down for built recievers too, as long as we can get someone that knows how to press out barrels, do drilling and rivits, and has the tools. Who are you talking to in Orlando? Does he have this stuff and the knowledge to use.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:00:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok time to talk shop a little, kit arrived. Also now have the US Made G2 Fire control groupp.  Receiver ordered and have rivets.   Also sourced a couple of US made muzzel brakes..    I almost ready with all the parts to do a couple of builds.   Now it's just a matter of getting the right people and tools together.  And the right people I think is the easy part.

People, who's got their kits?  How's the second Saturday of October sound?   Any preference for Daytona beach (my house) or maybe south near Fort Lauderdale?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I'll  show up. I've got  a few tools that I could bring. I'm not sure about going a long distance though. I need some motivation. I'm only going to help you guys out. I'm not gonna be building anything.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Alright Terminater D!   Come on down (errr up).

You, Asher, Rent-a-prop and Pirate have first  invitation.  Others (a few) are welcome also. Check your calendar.   Best weekends are the 2nd Saturday of October but the date can be moved forward or back a week.    

Come on up stay over.  I think I can get a free hotel room at the Hampton inn or another decent place.   I travel alot and have a few 'frequent stayer' points.   Would you like to come up to daytona beach on saturday, work on builds, then in the evening hit the beach/and people watch at some of the bars on A1A. or head over to New Symrna Race track (close to my home) and watch some pretty good stock car racing.    Sunday the local shooting range is open if happen to have a couple ready for testing.  

Now we are talking weekend fun - guns, race cars, girl watching and all the good things that go with such endeavors.  How's that for taking a bite out of the apple?

Regards, check your calendars.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:29:43 AM EDT
[#29]
You've got my interest.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#30]
ProGV,,where  in D-beach Im me if ya want,, im over  1 mile south of 92 on  the river...
would love to do an Ak  if i had the kit,, any one wanna give me  a clue in case i see some cheap parts kits out in the orlando show..
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Progun, how are we looking on the tool front. Rivit mashers and a barrel press machine seem to be some important items that we would need. Please disreguard my incorrect tool naming.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Are there any places that still have wet t-shirt contests?
Seriously, we need a place to get ready before we start building guns!!!!!

WHo's gonna be driving me and my tools up there?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 2:43:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

www.lavela.com/images/contests_wettshirt.jpg
www.euronet.nl/users/hansdejong/blueEyezz/zapbox/121100wetf.jpg

LOL..yeah if our crazy mayor would allow it,,,, we do have a few seedy strip joints tho
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

www.lavela.com/images/contests_wettshirt.jpg
www.euronet.nl/users/hansdejong/blueEyezz/zapbox/121100wetf.jpg

Ok, for the t-shirt contests actually the Cabbage patch does have them - pretty rustic authentic old florida open air bar.  This aint the intercoastal baby - bikers and wanna  be bikers.  One big happy family.  

Term - maybe one or two of the guys from the last build could ride up - a boys road trip - not that far but still, away from home with a some fake business cards and no home phone number.   I'm beginning to feel a Paawwtee.     I'll get the gas bottle filled on the grill guys.   One day of building, one nite of site seeing.  Searching for mount everest's twin pikes.

As for tools - I have all the basics - 4" VERY GOOD quality vice, drills, files, dremme, BFH etc.   Don't have the important stuff though - 12 ton press, the riveting die etc.    As for parkerizing, I am ready willing and able to buy the stainless steel pans and the kits.  However, if Pirate comes, I'll be glad to pitch in and pay for the chemicals if he wants to bring his set up.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#35]
hey is this protus from the gunboards ??????

what the hell is rent-a-prop.......am I an airplane now or something >>> short for rental properties
If I am in Brooksville at that time I am in definately, just picked up another AMD kit

Question is there any place to park a 32 foot RV at your place, that could be my accomedation
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
what the hell is rent-a-prop.......am I an airplane now or something >>> short for rental properties
If I am in Brooksville at that time I am in definately, just picked up another AMD kit

Question is there any place to park a 32 foot RV at your place, that could be my accomedation

Measured the Driveway - 40 feet.   This is starting to get interesting.  Oh man - "what going on at your house", oh, nothing gang, just a few buddies over to watch some college football games.  Here, have a beer and  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Measured the Driveway - 40 feet.   This is starting to get interesting.   Neighbor - "what going on at your house Wally"?   Me, "oh,  just a few buddies over for Saturday college football and some hobbie stuff  - want a hotdog?".  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:47:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Progun, you talked before about the pro ak builder that might be coming to the party, whats the status on this? And knowledge on barrel pressing and the tools for this?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:15:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Better get your receivers ordered becasue we DO have experienced people coming.  If this is anyones first build, do yourself a BIG favor - buy a global trades receiver.  Working from flats is not the way to go on your First effort.  I'll post the tools list this weekend, what we have and what we need etc.    
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I would really like to attend this build party for my first build. I have a polish AKMS underfolder kit and plan on getting a global trades receiver . As stated I'm a noobie but I have basic tools, tell me which drill bits to buy and I could probly borrow a 12 ton press if it would help.

Does anyone want to carpool from Jacksonville ? I could buy another Global reciver for what it would cost to drive the Blazer  to Datona and back.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:22:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I have a polish AKMS underfolder kit and plan on getting a global trades receiver . As stated I'm a noobie but I have basic tools, tell me which drill bits to buy and I could probly borrow a 12 ton press if it would help..

You have an Instant Message.  For that Polish underfolder be sure and tell the Receiver manufacturer you need a receiver designed for an underfolder - That will save you tons of time and help you avoid some costly mistakes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#42]
can i have spot #6 ?

i got AMD-65 + US Parts + Tapco Flat.

>>>Progunvoter
check your IM

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
hey is this protus from the gunboards ??????

yes same protus

didnt make ittothe show to pick up  the cheap romy kits and flats/recivers i saw in deland last month,,wife had some issues with the preg,,if you guys do it over this way,,i may just bring the beer and hang out lol
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:23:09 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
can i have spot #6 ?

i got AMD-65 + US Parts + Tapco Flat.  get a Global Trades receiver, trust us.

AR15club - Good news, bad news, Good news.

Good news - you can be on the list, first come, first serve.  But...
Bad news - No flats allowed for Newbies.   It dramatically slows down the build process for everyone.  IF any of the experienced guys want to do flats - Fine - new builders can watch & learn.  
Good news - get yourself a built receiver (just like most of us) and you will actually be able to COMPLETE a kit in one day.  Plus you will now have a unit that can be more easily sold if you ever get tried of it.    
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:09:00 PM EDT
[#45]

I've ordered in a couple Global Trades Receivers for myself.  Gives a BIG headstart and they made a huge difference in getting the gun built & running. There's nothing wrong with Flats either.  If we can locate a flat bending jig why not?    

i guess i missunderstud. i was under impression that flats are ok for the party, but no problem. still i would like that spot #6
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#46]
i got  6 th spot

HANKS
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:05:34 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Bad news - No flats allowed for Newbies.   It dramatically slows down the build process for everyone.  IF any of the experienced guys want to do flats - Fine - new builders can watch & learn.

Good call. The last build party had everyone bending their flats, and parkerizing. I kept wondering to myself if anyone really wanted to build their rifles today.

There is only one right order to build these guns.

If you start out with a good receiver (One where everything fits without much aggravation) then the whole process of building will only take a few hours. After that, you can do what you want to finish the gun.

Hey Walt, I can bring my airbrush if anyone wants to paint their guns. Let me know. Of course, people should buy the paint themselves. There is still some time left for people to buy the molyresin, or whatever they want to use.

Molyresin is about $50.00 for a quart (enough to do 6-8 guns.)
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:12:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Alright guys, full house.  Time to get things going.  Here's a checklist for the newer guys.  
1.  Order in your ffl receiver if you haven't already.   I should be getting a commission from Global Trade considering how often I send people their way.    
2.  Got Rivets?   various sources for those too, global trades has the RIGHT ones, Tapco and DPHARMS has some too but as the experienced guys (Asher & Terma-nator) taught me, those long rivets from DPH & Tapco for the Rear tang (also incorrectly called a 'rear trunnion') aren't so good.
3.  Fire up your dremmel if you have one, use some cutting wheels to remove any of the old cut receiver from your tang and trunnion.   After the receiver is cut away, you get the fun part of removing, cutting, drilling and punching out the old revits -  New guys, on the Front Trunnion, you can only remove the most rearward revit at the end of the trunnion  - theres one on each side of the Trunnion.    We will remove the barrel at the party and then you can fun with the forward rivets removal.

Ideally we will have at least two (maybe three) 12 ton presses at the party so that we can set up work stations and not have to be constantly reconfiguring the press for various steps of construction.    If you have a press, please let me know if you can bring it.    

Drill Presses - who's got em and bringing?   If needed, I will go out and buy one.  I hope that's not necessary, but for sure we will have one there by hook or crook.

Parkerizing - who's got the set up and willing to bring?   Instant mail me.   Again, if no one volunteers I will go out and order some stainless steel used pans on Ebay and also order in the chemicals.  One way or the other, we'll have parking set up - If someone has the set up and brings it to the party  I suggest we all pitch in a few bucks for the chemicals.    

Ok, that's all for now, I'll have the garage set up for Production.   Regards.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:31:10 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
There is only one right order to build these guns.

If you start out with a good receiver (One where everything fits without much aggravation) then the whole process of building will only take a few hours. After that, you can do what you want to finish the gun.

Hey Walt, I can bring my airbrush if anyone wants to paint their guns. Let me know. Of course, people should buy the paint themselves. There is still some time left for people to buy the molyresin, or whatever they want to use.

Molyresin is about $50.00 for a quart (enough to do 6-8 guns.)

Sounds Good, Bring it on.  

As for the moly resin $50/quart wow.  Is it worth it or is there another GOOD option?   I'm flexible but for sure we will want to do some parking and coating.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:46:54 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
As for the moly resin $50/quart wow.  Is it worth it or is there another GOOD option?   I'm flexible but for sure we will want to do some parking and coating.

It depends on if you want your gun to look good or not?

Some people use Bar-b-q paint in a spray can from home depot. They say that it looks good. Until they try to use a gun cleaner. Then they're back to bare metal.

I use it for all my guns. It is very hard after heated in an oven for an hour. Nothing takes it off. It can be scratched though, but we are talking about an ak here........

www.molyresin.com

It takes about a week to get here.......I use flat black.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top