Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2010 10:20:16 AM EDT
Anybody know anything about these?
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct862.aspx

Seams like a good price for a MP5K.  Probably too goo to be true, though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 10:27:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine runs great. I have about 500 rounds down the pipe with out a single hiccup. I wish it was a little easier to put a three lug on though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I love mine!  I just sent in the paperwork for the Form 1 SBR.  It runs 100% with no problems yet.  Quality is great, but the only negative is the welds and finish are not as nice as the SP89, but they aren't bad either.  I had a CA89K and it ran like shit even after $250 worth of Hk parts.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's not too good to be true. It just isn't what some of us want. There is a FA carrier block so it's neutered for life.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I love mine!  I just sent in the paperwork for the Form 1 SBR.  It runs 100% with no problems yet.  Quality is great, but the only negative is the welds and finish are not as nice as the SP89, but they aren't bad either.  I had a CA89K and it ran like shit even after $250 worth of Hk parts.

Well there's no reason to get all nasty just because you didn't take the time to get your Coharie running adequately. Mine runs great.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well there's no reason to get all nasty just because you didn't take the time to get your Coharie running adequately. Mine runs great.

I wasn't nasty about it.  I know some run and some don't.  I just wanted something that didn't require the next step to make it run ($200 bolt face) so I wanted something that would run out of the box.  I'm just very happy with my MKE and the CA I had wasn't anything that I'll ever recommend over the MKE.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah, you're kinda right, but not entirely either. They are reported to be pretty good guns. But they aren't a full clone of the SP89. They take the same mags and most parts. So that's cool. You can also add a front hand guard, but not a vertical grip without registration as an SBR or AOW.

If you are looking for a great quality semi-auto then it's the bee's knees.

If you are looking for a SBR, then you'll have to change out some parts to US made because of 922R.

If you are ever considering going full auto, then there isn't a way to get that yet.

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Anybody have a side by side comparasion as to why my registered trigger pac W/bolt carrier won't fit & work?
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anybody have a side by side comparasion as to why my registered trigger pac W/bolt carrier won't fit & work?

There are posted pictures of the bolt block that is welded into the rear of the receiver. That keeps you from inserting the FA carrier. It sticks up from the bottom and interferes with that extra part on the carrier that would engage the trip lever.

Some of the guys on HKPro have made remarks about trying to make a two part carrier that could be re-assembled inside the receiver, or a modified trip lever that would engage a semi-auto carrier... but nothing has been announced yet.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:12:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine's been 100% so far, accurate too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:25:34 PM EDT
[#10]
...or a modified trip lever that would engage a semi-auto carrier...

Got a link, Retro?
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Couldn't you modify the receiver?  Or is that manufacturing a MG?
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...or a modified trip lever that would engage a semi-auto carrier...

Got a link, Retro?

Earlier discussions over on HKPro. Not sure what the current status is.

Quoted:
Couldn't you modify the receiver?  Or is that manufacturing a MG?

Yes. And it would put you into a catch 22 situation. If you modify it like that, you just created an SP89. And those are banned from importation. You can't agrue that it's not an SP89 because it's built in an HK licensed factory on HK tooling.

If you were an SOT, you could do it but then it's just a rental at that point, as you'll eventually have to get rid of it.

For now, for all intents and purposes, everyone just needs to consider that the MKE guns are great little "semi-auto only guns, period.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not worried.  It basically will just be a range gun and possibly a PDW after the SBR stamp.  If I ever do go full auto, it's much more cost effective to just buy a MAC.  How many US parts do I need to be compliant?
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, you're kinda right, but not entirely either. They are reported to be pretty good guns. But they aren't a full clone of the SP89. They take the same mags and most parts. So that's cool. You can also add a front hand guard, but not a vertical grip without registration as an SBR or AOW.

If you are looking for a SBR, then you'll have to change out some parts to US made because of 922R.

If you are ever considering going full auto, then there isn't a way to get that yet.

922r applies to SBR's???????

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 5:21:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:32:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm not worried.  It basically will just be a range gun and possibly a PDW after the SBR stamp.  If I ever do go full auto, it's much more cost effective to just buy a MAC.  How many US parts do I need to be compliant?

I wasn't trying to worry you, just keep you from doing anything stupid or illegal.

Not sure on the parts needed for 922R because I haven't had to do mine, as they are domestic (Coharie and SW)
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

i've seen printed letters from the ATF that disagrees with you. While i understand the safe way to go is 922r and if the letter is not yours it means nothing, It is somewhat of a grey area
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:46:39 AM EDT
[#18]
(r) It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925 (d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to —

(1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
(2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.

(Emphasis added)

Says nothing about the length of the barrel. Letters from the ATF are the opinions of field agents and as such are not  law.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only HK parts they won't take are the F/A carriers and bolts.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn it, ok....... I'll add that to the memory bank.

So it applies to FA too? ....
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 5:58:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Will they accept the standard HK94/MP5 30 round mags?
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Will they accept the standard HK94/MP5 30 round mags?

The pistols do. The rifles do not.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Damn it, ok....... I'll add that to the memory bank.
So it applies to FA too? ....

No, machine guns are not rifles. No matter what configuration they are in. A machine gun is a machine gun. Once you put a preban sear into a gun, it becomes a preban machine gun.

"So, retrodog, can I put my sear into a MKE and make it a machine gun even though I can't add a FA carrier?"

Well, sorta. but a FA trigger pack wont work without a FA carrier, at all. Not even in SA. If the trip lever isn't engaged, it won't fire. You'd have to fasten the trip lever down to keep the sear catch disengaged from the hammer. You could do it, but it's a lot of trouble to keep from putting domestic parts into the gun.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Had one for a month now.  Several things about the pistol.

1.  The finish on the pistol is not too good (flakes off too easily).
2.  Push pins are a pain to use (have to use a rubber hammer and a brass punch).
3.  The cocking tube on mine is slightly crooked slightly to the upper left to the point of touching the sight base (do not notice this when I tested the pistol and after filing the SBR paperwork).

Overall I'm satisfied with the pistol other than minor little things.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

2.  Push pins are a pain to use (have to use a rubber hammer and a brass punch).
3.  The cocking tube on mine is slightly crooked slightly to the upper left to the point of touching the sight base (do not notice this when I tested the pistol and after filing the SBR paperwork).

Wow, sounds like you got a bad one!  I have on of each and they are great!  Finish is a bit glossy, but mine has been robust.  Have 1k rounds on both guns.  Push pins can be trued with lapping compound per a HKpro members...
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Did they all come come without the forearm?...WTF is that about???
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#27]
The pistol versions came without forearms.  It was a condition of allowing them to be imported.  The rifle version that takes only 10 round mags came with forearm installed.  Once they're stateside and sold the owner can install one.   I picked up a used SP89 forearm to go on my AT-94K.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#28]
I had a CA89K one from a buddy.  I ended up using it and shot lead through my gun, well the left over lead wouldn't come off of the plastic up front so I modded my front grip.  I actually like it a lot now.  Here is what my MKE AT94K looks like.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had a CA89K one from a buddy.  I ended up using it and shot lead through my gun, well the left over lead wouldn't come off of the plastic up front so I modded my front grip.  I actually like it a lot now.  Here is what my MKE AT94K looks like.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa310/captshiess/MKE.jpg

You find that sling at all practical?  I was messing with mine and ended up ditching it for a Gear Sector single point as I couldn't get it adjusted to a large enough size.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#30]
That looks really nice!! any performance issues?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#31]
SBR trumps 922.
922 only applies to assault weapons and an SBR is not considered and assault weapon. I looked into this myself when I SBR'd my SW5 and I kept the letter with my stamp. Wish I still had the stamp and letter but got rid of it when I converted the gun back to TII and sold it. Now all I have is the letter stating the serial was removed from the registry.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:08:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That looks really nice!! any performance issues?

Yes, it will only fire once with a single pull of the trigger.

Quoted:
SBR trumps 922.
922 only applies to assault weapons and an SBR is not considered and assault weapon. I looked into this myself when I SBR'd my SW5 and I kept the letter with my stamp. Wish I still had the stamp and letter but got rid of it when I converted the gun back to TII and sold it. Now all I have is the letter stating the serial was removed from the registry.

Says you. And who the hell are you???

j/k

But on a more serious note, I"m pretty sure your opinion is based on one or two mistaken/outdated letters, which have been overturned. The latest information out of the tech branch of the ATF is that SBRs are indeed included under the 922R restrictions. Advising someone to go against this direction is at best, reckless.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa310/captshiess/MKE.jpg

You find that sling at all practical?  I was messing with mine and ended up ditching it for a Gear Sector single point as I couldn't get it adjusted to a large enough size.

I do like it.  I pull it tight when I fire it as a pistol with a 2 handed grip and it works great.  It is only there until the paperwork comes back and it came with the gun so I figured I'd use it.  As far as performance goes, mine works 100%!  I love it!
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:48:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wow, that sounds on par with some of the lesser clones!
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:40:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this hasn't been my experience with these guns.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
SBR trumps 922.
The BATFE appears to have recently changed its mind on this, they are now saying that 922r does apply to SBRs––there is a new letter reflecting the revised BATFE position (someone posted it on HKPro).

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not even close.  My new CA89K was a piece of crap!  My MKE has run 100%!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top