Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2006 7:36:01 AM EDT
I have gotten my hands on an 80% Century Arms Receiver.
Looking at the piece there is a fair amount of work to still be done.
I was just wondering if any of you guys had built one of these up?
Does anyone know where I can get specs?
It also looks like I am going to have to have special side cutting bits to cut the cocking handle slot and dust cover slot.
Any insight on this project would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BigHunt
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#1]
That's because they are only 40%.
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yeah, thats what I heard over on the fal files.  It looks doable, but I was wondering if anybody had actually done one of them.  
Any idea why Century Arms let these go without being finished but whith their name stamped on the side?
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, thats what I heard over on the fal files.  It looks doable, but I was wondering if anybody had actually done one of them.  
Any idea why Century Arms let these go without being finished but whith their name stamped on the side?

Because they have no shame?
Link Posted: 1/20/2007 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because they have no shame?

Anyone else have suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/20/2007 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, heat treat is and strength is the major issue with the FAL
Link Posted: 1/20/2007 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one of those castings. Their name is on them because it is part of the mold. They were released because they are slightly warped and more trouble than they are worth for a manufacturer to deal with. For a hobbyist, they are fine.

The casting are already tempered. You will need carbide end mills, and cutters to machine them. The "special" cutters that you refered to are called woodruff cutters. They are common and not hard to find in most larger cities with machine tool supply companies.

There is a member of FALFILES that did machine one of those castings and did an outstanding job. It has been a very long time since he started a thread and posted pics of his progress. I don't remember his name or even if he is a current poster there. Ask around over there. I am sure that somebody remembers who it was.
Link Posted: 1/21/2007 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#7]
That would be me. I've finished two, one on an 18" carbine and one on a heavy barrel 358 win.

Finishing the receiver casting is not a problem if you have a milling machine and some experience. If you're not an experienced machinist you might have trouble with it.

I've posted a lot of info on how I did mine at the FALFILES if you want to read what's involved.

Good luck, Rip
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top