Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2004 8:58:22 PM EDT
I finally have some cash lying around to purchase a kit for a build.  Who has the best for the price?  I saw FAC has Imbel kits for $185.  Gunthings.com has some South African and a few Imbel kits for a little less.  I haven't found them anywhere else.

What are the common parts for replacement for 922 compliance?  Better to buy them single or buy a kit from Tapco of someone?  

If I use a mag floor plate as one of the US parts, technically do I have to have one on every magazine I use?
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:13:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally have had excellent results building on Imbel kits... I also did a build on one of the R1 kits currently being offered by the Ammunition Store for $150 - it turned out OK, but the kit overall wasn't quite as nice as the Imbels I had already done... Gunthings is a decent outfit to buy from, too - I think either option will work out OK for you...

"What are the common parts for replacement for 922 compliance?"

I typically go H,T,S(DSA), receiver(DCI), PG(Wolfsburg Bob's or SAW), muzzle device(FSE), AND floorplate(heddonpal) - for furniture, I prefer the Imbel fiberglass handguards, and STG-58 buttstocks - YMMV... Many people replace the gas piston, or buttstocks - as an option, too..

"Better to buy them single or buy a kit from Tapco of someone?"

Depends on what you want, and what is the rattiest in your kit that can be replaced to make compliance...

"If I use a mag floor plate as one of the US parts, technically do I have to have one on every magazine I use?"

Well, if you don't, then you *could* run into a problem if the "wrong" mag is in your rifle at the "wrong" time... US floorplates can be had for under $1 apiece, so I just replaced them on all of my mags - they look good, and are easy to replace... I take that opportunity to clean out a "new" mag thoroughly, and slap in a new US made floorplate - it's not a bad route to go, IMO...

- georgestrings

Link Posted: 12/30/2004 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Listen to georgestrings on the Imbel kits.  I have not built these up myself but MetalMan has and had great results.

From another post, but my $.02:

Try here?

STG 58 kit

I built an excellent Imbel receiver up with one of these kits (with the correct number of U.S. parts).

My barrel looked so new I did the break-in on it. My finish is literally excellent, and because I am trying to build a RR AR and eyeing a Semi m11 I have not had it parked yet. It has a clean dark blue type finish that is in like new condition.

NOW, I MAY HAVE BEEN VERY LUCKY! It was ordered by a buddy who is a dealer, so he may have had hand-picked it or something.

A good friend and I built up two of these. Mine was a DSA stg58 and my friend’s was an IMBEL kit in good shape. His looked worn and very used, but the barrel looked pretty good. He put a free float hand guard, DSA scope cover, an ATN sight and put a “bake-on” finish on his rifle and mags in his kiln. It looks awesome! He paid around $160 and I paid around $300 for my kit.

DSA kits are worth a look, but pricey.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Are the South African kits inferior or Imbel's just preferred?
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

A lot of the Imbel kits have less wear and tear.  Imbel is still producing FALs as we speak (well, maybe they are on holiday today or have gone home for the evening).  The R1 kits have seen more use.

I've done a lot of business with gunthings.com  Those guys rock.  I just got a very nice discreet package in the mail from them yesterday.

Heck, I usually start with a kit and when I finish, very few of the parts from the kit are really in use and have migrated to the "Big Box O FAL" which, when full, tells me it's time to build another FAL!  I already have a plan to do something along the lines of a 50:64 Para.

gunplumber has a list of the preferred parts.  FWIW, Tapco's gas pistons are fine.  Harold Shinn at FSE hasn't been producing HTS sets for some reason I'm unaware of.  Everyone is out of stock.  DS Arms has HTS sets - they're more expensive, but very nice.  I like DS Arms' lightweight lower.  That counts as a compliance part (trigger housing).  Dan Coonan's FAFAL receiver sold by FAC is a fine receiver and I've spoken with Dan and he's a good guy.  DS Arms or Penguin furniture is quite nice.  I think Brad and Paul at gunthings have some Penguin in stock, nice stuff.

I usually go with Tapco's aluminum cocking handle, too.  According to ATF Tech Branch, that counts as an "operating rod."  I know, but that's what they say and it's in a memo.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#5]
If you want a cheap kit with some life still in it take a look here.

www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=f7ad3da19d8c62172ae10f3adb3e25b4&threadid=128816

The guy running that group buy is top notch! Any problems and he will fix it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 10:32:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I personally have had excellent results building on Imbel kits... I also did a build on one of the R1 kits currently being offered by the Ammunition Store for $150 - it turned out OK, but the kit overall wasn't quite as nice as the Imbels I had already done... Gunthings is a decent outfit to buy from, too - I think either option will work out OK for you...

"What are the common parts for replacement for 922 compliance?"

I typically go H,T,S(DSA), receiver(DCI), PG(Wolfsburg Bob's or SAW), muzzle device(FSE), AND floorplate(heddonpal) - for furniture, I prefer the Imbel fiberglass handguards, and STG-58 buttstocks - YMMV... Many people replace the gas piston, or buttstocks - as an option, too..

"Better to buy them single or buy a kit from Tapco of someone?"

Depends on what you want, and what is the rattiest in your kit that can be replaced to make compliance...

"If I use a mag floor plate as one of the US parts, technically do I have to have one on every magazine I use?"

Well, if you don't, then you *could* run into a problem if the "wrong" mag is in your rifle at the "wrong" time... US floorplates can be had for under $1 apiece, so I just replaced them on all of my mags - they look good, and are easy to replace... I take that opportunity to clean out a "new" mag thoroughly, and slap in a new US made floorplate - it's not a bad route to go, IMO...

- georgestrings

Georgestrings, unlike us, he lives in a free state and can use either the flash hider with the kit (as long as he has enough US parts to comply with 922r) or a new US made flash hider from Gunplumber.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of the Imbel kits have less wear and tear.  Imbel is still producing FALs as we speak (well, maybe they are on holiday today or have gone home for the evening).  The R1 kits have seen more use.

I've done a lot of business with gunthings.com  Those guys rock.  I just got a very nice discreet package in the mail from them yesterday.

Heck, I usually start with a kit and when I finish, very few of the parts from the kit are really in use and have migrated to the "Big Box O FAL" which, when full, tells me it's time to build another FAL!  I already have a plan to do something along the lines of a 50:64 Para.

gunplumber has a list of the preferred parts.  FWIW, Tapco's gas pistons are fine.  Harold Shinn at FSE hasn't been producing HTS sets for some reason I'm unaware of.  Everyone is out of stock.  DS Arms has HTS sets - they're more expensive, but very nice.  I like DS Arms' lightweight lower.  That counts as a compliance part (trigger housing).  Dan Coonan's FAFAL receiver sold by FAC is a fine receiver and I've spoken with Dan and he's a good guy.  DS Arms or Penguin furniture is quite nice.  I think Brad and Paul at gunthings have some Penguin in stock, nice stuff.

I usually go with Tapco's aluminum cocking handle, too.  According to ATF Tech Branch, that counts as an "operating rod."  I know, but that's what they say and it's in a memo.

Good luck!

Harold Shinn at FSE has taken a hiatus for family reasons.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Currently available:
StG58 kit ( gold standard for F A Ls)
IMBEL kit
South African kit

Other than the F A L/S L R sorta kinda rifles made in India, all of the F A L makers built good quality weapons.  The real difference between kits is not the quality of materials or craftsmanship, but  the amount of wear on them.  The StG58 kits will have the least and the SA will have the most.
If you can afford it, get an StG58 kit from DSA. You will not be disappointed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top