Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2011 6:02:10 AM EDT
Going to the range in a few days and I'd like to collect the brass without digging them out of the snow banks.

I've searched and found mixed opinions. Some say this would damage the op rod, or other parts.

If I'm thinking correctly it shouldn't damage anything. The gas pressure doesn't cycle the bolt until the bullet passes the gas hole anyway. There shouldn't be anymore stress on the bolt than if it's running like normal.

I've read some people stating that their bolt wouldn't unlock after, and they had to stomp on the charging handle with their boot to open it.
I don't believe that should happen.

Anyone have solid knowledge and facts?

Btw I'm using 93' surplus 762 NATO British ammo.

Link Posted: 2/9/2011 6:33:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Doesn't hurt anything..just makes the semi-auto rifle a straight-pull rifle like a Swiss K31..or Austrian Steyr....No stress at all on the op-rod.

The gas-valve feature is on the rifles for the purpose of firing blanks..and using blanks to launch grenades.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#2]
No problem at all. I have done this frequently when I didn't want to chase my brass. Also, it doesn't beat up the brass with semi-auto extraction. Just for curiosity, I shot over a chrono with gas on and gas off to see if there was any difference in velocity due to bleeding off gas. No detectable difference either way.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I do it a lot when I don't feel like chasing and sorting brass in the cold, rain or snow. It's easier on the brass too and you get more reloads out of your brass. It doesn't hurt the rifle a bit. If your chamber is a little rough, it might be hard to extract the brass since it will fireform to your chamber.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 9:20:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Im bringing a canvas tarp. I don't feel like digging in the snow either.

FWIW, my M1A's gas valve is pinned in place IIRC. it's an older NM model though... so that might be why.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Does it effect the POI.
It seems that getting a new haircut can effect it, so I would guess that is a major difference.
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does it effect the POI.
It seems that getting a new haircut can effect it, so I would guess that is a major difference.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. My best groups have been with it shut off. (3/4 MOA)
Link Posted: 2/9/2011 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does it effect the POI.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. My best groups have been with it shut off. (3/4 MOA)

Very outstanding. Would you share how you did it? (Because I'm truly impressed!).

And Thanks, while I download your Lube guide.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it effect the POI.

My best groups were with the gas plug loose.  Go figure.

ETA:

Shutting the valve doesn't eliminate the fact that there's an oprod shaking around under the barrel and the rifle fires.
OP; just to reiterate; the gas valve won't turn on many of the match rifles.

Link Posted: 2/10/2011 3:37:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Good stuff Ty...

I have yet to achieve a grouping that small but I'm always trying...

I suppose we'll leave dwell time for another discussion.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Good stuff Ty...

I have yet to achieve a grouping that small but I'm always trying...

I suppose we'll leave dwell time for another discussion.

My last post should have come across with more of a "you're mileage may vary."  My groups were definitely a pair of coincidences.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top