Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2009 11:15:14 PM EDT
I am new to this section of the board so if this has been discussed before ........sorry.

I have a line on a Enterprise Arms M14A2 that needs a bit of TLC as it has "Some Surface Rust" so I'm told. I have reason to believe that this is a pretty accurate description, but won't know until I have it in hand. Since I'm new to this world (M1 / M14) I'd like some history and experience on this company and what I might be getting into for a project. From what I have read and herd these can be billet machined to not properly heat treated hunks of metal. The Hunk of metal was more directed to a comment about their FAL receivers  I don't know wha era this is from, but I was also told it had a USGI bolt.

I'd like some info and see what the hive mind has to say. I'm much more of an AR guy, but have always wanted a M14.

Link Posted: 3/14/2009 6:18:34 AM EDT
[#1]
There was a post on the old CSP forum by Gus Fisher that he checked one and it turned out to be a POS. Another one he checked was excellent.
Warbird has seen a few too I think and says most were OK after a bit of fitting. Seems that some were very good while a few were a real POS. It could be hit or miss. Consider this, that all commercial receivers being made today could have problems no matter who makes them. Maybe you can get a money back agreement from the seller when you make the deal if it turns out to be a bad one ?
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I do not have any experiance with them. Like the other fella said, no matter who makes it, sometimes there are issues fitting parts. They no longer make m14 reseivers.

Most likely, if there is a problem, it probably wouldnt be anything that money couldnt fix.
Speaking of money. If you plan on building your first m14 you can plan on spending a good bit of the stuff. Not only on parts, but also on labor. Also take into account that it will take time for the work to get done. If your limited on cash, this may work for you, as you can buy parts as you get money.

The price would have to be pretty good for me to buy it. I have seen some Armscorp reseivers with differant parts listed on gunbroker.com over the last few months that sold for fair prices.  I would not hessitate to buy a Armscorp reseiver.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I have heard both good and bad about these receivers. I will be inspecting it tomorrow prior to possibly purchasing it. I'll give you guys an update.

Oh... and I found out that the rust was/is most likely from it sitting in an unheated warehouse in Oregon for years.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
There was a post on the old CSP forum by Gus Fisher that he checked one and it turned out to be a POS. Another one he checked was excellent.
Warbird has seen a few too I think and says most were OK after a bit of fitting. Seems that some were very good while a few were a real POS. It could be hit or miss. Consider this, that all commercial receivers being made today could have problems no matter who makes them. Maybe you can get a money back agreement from the seller when you make the deal if it turns out to be a bad one ?

Since this isn't my realm and don't know....... what kind of reputation does Warbird have?

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Warbird has an excellent reputation as he does excellent work.
Link Posted: 3/21/2009 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
My two main purchases from the gun gun show.

There are many rifles like it, but this one is MINE!

M14A2

It's a M14A2 built with an Enterprise Billet receiver and USGI parts. The only part that isn't USGI is the gas block.

The chrome lined barrel and bolt are HR.
The trigger Group is Winchester.
The hammer is a Springfield Arms Garand Hammer.
The gas Block is ? but  was told that it wasn't USGI as it has a bit of rust and doesn't look like it's stainless.

Over all the rifle is in good condition with just a touch of rust. It looks like the head space might be a touch tight so might be swapping out bolts and barrels with some friends'. It also came with a Winchester mag.

This one is marked OM, but were any Winchester mags marked with a "W"?

Rossi 44 Special

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#7]
OM Olin Mathison.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#8]
BTW: The selector IS a FAKE and just sits between the stock and receiver. It was never attached in any way. I will loose it once I refinish the gun.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool Deal! Is that the price you paid? 450 bucks??
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#10]
$450 for the M-14/M1A and $150 for the Pistol +$10 for the background check.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:11:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Worth more in parts...

Did you have a way to gage the barrel?

And I think you should be on the look out for the cops... you stole that thing!

You will need to give a range report...

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I think you should be on the look out for the cops... you stole that thing!

Kinda funny as I bought it from one who got it in a police auction.

As far as gauging, just had a 308 not a 7.62.

Link Posted: 4/1/2009 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#13]
This one is marked OM, but were any Winchester mags marked with a "W"?

Noxspector,

W = Westinghouse Elec.

But, there was a difference of opinion..........

http://www.rawles.to/M14%20Magazine_FAQ.html

Then there is Different's Books...........

http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/

Enterprise Arms
Beginning in 1996, Enterprise Arms (Irwindale, CA) began offering M14 type receivers. Their
standard receiver is readily available. Rear and double lugged receivers are special order
items. The receivers are CNC machined from twelve-pound billets of AISI 8620 alloy steel.
They are heat treated to a surface hardness of 52 to 56 HRC and a core hardness of 34 to 38
HRC. They are given a black oxide finish. Receivers are sold with an unconditional lifetime
guarantee according to their web site. Their receivers have the stamping ABNI. It is the
markings of a subcontractor that did some manufacturing for them previously according to
Enterprise Arms customer service. Earlier Enterprise Arms receivers have the serial number
stamped on the left side near the rear sight. Latter receivers have a wider than USGI
specification operating rod rail than earlier receivers and the serial number is on the receiver
heel. Enterprise Arms also provides M14 gunsmithing services such as rifle assembly, barrel
installation, Parkerizing, NM trigger modification, and clean and lube.

HTH.

Aloha, Mark

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top