Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 9:06:45 PM EDT
Anyone try these out, and how close are they to USGI (read lip tension,heat treating and function)?

P.S if they are  trash, got a cheap source for USGI mags instead?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I've purchased 10 of them and all of them have been fine. I have a couple USGI and my untrained eye can't tell the difference. I will buy more at some point.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:48:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 20.  They work fine.

Max
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:27:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is a link to the archive server.  I'll see if I can dig up the photos that I posted and repost them.

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=6&t=175509

Here they are in the wrapper.

Taiwan M14 mag

Taiwan and USGI mag

Taiwan and USGI followers

Taiwan and USGI Mag lever catch

Although the picture is a little out of focus, you can see that the spring has the
right angle corners just like the USGI mags.

Damn!  That was a lot of work.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought 20 of these also from ammoman. After a like clean up they all work perfectly. As of some 1300 odd rounds I have had no mag failures.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess that I got 5 bad ones then. All of mine had to be tweaked to get them to function in my M1As.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I guess that I got 5 bad ones then. All of mine had to be tweaked to get them to function in my M1As.

Were they assembled witht he spring backwards?  I heard that was the most ocmmon problem with them, and just fixing the spring made them stop nosediving rounds...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Dawg,

Why don't you share with the group some more about the springs and which way is "correct" to make sure everyones M-1A keeps on popping!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were they assembled witht he spring backwards?  I heard that was the most ocmmon problem with them, and just fixing the spring made them stop nosediving rounds...

The problem with mine were the feed lips. They protruded upward too much and were keeping the bolt from closing. They also would hang up when feeding a round from the left side. The springs in all of them were installed the same way as the springs in my USGI mags.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:26:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I purchased 30 of the Taiwanese mags from Ammoman. Haven't tested all of them yet, but the half dozen I have used were OK.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:32:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got 10 and they all worked fine once lubed up.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:36:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Eh? I had the understanding that lubing mags was counterproductive.

Are you talking about a light coating of a spray lube...or grease?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:18:05 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eh? I had the understanding that lubing mags was counterproductive.

Are you talking about a light coating of a spray lube...or grease?

I like to give the outsides a nice wipe with CLP and then clean out and treat the insides of the mags, and the followers with Teflon spray.

I've got probably 40 of the Ammoman mags - and I got 20 for my dad - and aside from about one-in-five having slight rust around the mag catch that needed touchup (I got a fiberglass pen from the auto parts store and got it off that way, and treated the exposed metal), they're 99.875% of the construction quality that USGI are IMHO. Yes I have USGI mags to compare to.  

The Taiwan mags are the best value out there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I purchased 5 of the Ammoman mags and all of mine had very heavy rust on them.  All around the mag catch and all over the mag bodies.  I am not that impressed witht he five that I got.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I got 5 this week. They have a little rust on the bodies and the follower doesn't move very smoothly. I disassembled them, cleaned them out a little bit, and put them back together. They're alittle smoother now. I'll try'em out this weekend and post my results.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top