Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 3:28:27 AM EDT
Tapco has them for $.69 each. Are Tapco's any good, or are there better sources out there? I am waiting on my first CMP Garand to come, along with a case of M2 ball.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:33:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Find Gilbrass and buy some the way it is suppose to come - is a can on clips

There is nothing like pulling the lid open on a can that has been sealed up for some 36 years.

YMMV

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:37:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Bought 500 USGI more than a decade ago for $0.30 ea through a dealer outta the ad section on Shotgun News, suggest ya get yourself a copy and peruse the ad section.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:41:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Make sure to buy original USGI and not later production ones.  I have had some spotty results with those.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#4]
A lot of places are selling surplus ammo in the clips already.  That is probably the best way to go.  I bought 300 from JG Surplus in order to get the price break on them @ $39 per hundred.  I can sell you 100 at that price plus shipping if you're interested.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:17:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought mine from an advertiser on Shotgun News also .
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Lou at LRB Arms has a 55 gallon drum of them, he give me a pretty good price when I bought 300 of them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Lou at LRB Arms has a 55 gallon drum of them, he give me a pretty good price when I bought 300 of them.

Thanks for the tip! He's local to me, so I'm going to stop by and get a bunch.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Sheldon, email inbound. Thanks for all of the input guys.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Back in 1972 when I was stationed at Fort Ord we were assigned to clean up various ranges that were going to be closed due to their location and the amount of traffic out on the Pacific Coast Highway.  As we were cleaning out this old shed on the rifle range I came across 2 old 50 cal ammo cans that were full of Garand clips.  The M14 had replaced the Garand in 1957 or 1958, and then had been replaced by the M16.  Why the clips were around I have no idea.  My dad had a surplus Garand that he had bought mail-order in the early 60's (from Hunters?).  Anyway I sent them home to him and after he passed away in 1986 I found them while cleaning out his garage.  He still had a can and a half of them.  I have his old Garand and a Fulton Arms M1 Garand NM and am still using the clips.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I  have an M1 clips story too. In 1984 me and a buddy were canablizing parts in the scrap yard at MCAS Iwakuni Japan. Along the fence sat a row of six large dumpsters. The kind of dumpsters that are carried on trucks. They were all overflowing with M1 clips. These weren't rusted pieces of junk either. They were in good condition and looked as if they had either recently been used or had been kept in storage. There had to be tens if not hundreds of thousands of them. They were going to be sold to the Japanese for scrap.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought some KA korean ammo and used the clips from it. When I get my .30-06 dies, I'll use the ammo and reload the brass. For now, I'm just using the clips.  384 rounds of decent (corrosive)ammo and 48 clips for less then $80 shipped.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#12]
CMP now has the Greek (non-corrosive) ammo on clips for sale on their site as well.  I think it's a better deal than the KA Korean stuff as the Greek stuff is supposed to be non-corrosive but comes in two spam cans instead of the reuseable ammo cans.
estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=product&ID=415C&item=&sfv=&cat=AMC&desc=&udc=&mct=&vndr=&ba=&pmin=&pmax=¬e1=¬e2=¬e3=¬e4=¬e5=&max=
Item ID: 415C
Description:  Greek .30-06 Ammo HXP(Pyrkal) manuf/boxer primed 480 rds/cs
M2 Ball, 30-06 Caliber - Packaged in 8 round enbloc clips,  
6 clips per bandoleer, 5 bandoleers per spam can, 2 cans per
wooden crate (480 rounds per case).  Manufactured by Pyrkal
(Greece).  Boxer primed, non-corrosive.  Headstamp varies  
HXP62 - HXP80.  Sold in case lot only.  Price $110.00, S&H  
$19.00 per case. weight 45 lbs.      

I bought a can of the KA stamped Korean stuff and am still shooting it off right now.  I also am saving the brass and have my dies and components all ready to start reloading.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I just wanted to thank Sheldon for the clips! I think he still wants to sell a few.

BTW: don't be supprised if you recieve a little something extra with your order. Now if only my M2 ball will show up I can put my new garand threw the paces.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#14]
AIM sells PS non corrosive Korean ammo also in the clip and bandoleer. This is 80s stuff and nice and clean. Shoots pretty decently and have had no problems with it. They will give you the lot# if you ask.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:06:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Back in 1972 when I was stationed at Fort Ord we were assigned to clean up various ranges that were going to be closed due to their location and the amount of traffic out on the Pacific Coast Highway.  As we were cleaning out this old shed on the rifle range I came across 2 old 50 cal ammo cans that were full of Garand clips. The M14 had replaced the Garand in 1957 or 1958, and then had been replaced by the M16.  Why the clips were around I have no idea. My dad had a surplus Garand that he had bought mail-order in the early 60's (from Hunters?).  Anyway I sent them home to him and after he passed away in 1986 I found them while cleaning out his garage.  He still had a can and a half of them.  I have his old Garand and a Fulton Arms M1 Garand NM and am still using the clips.  

I went through basic training at Ft Ord in 1962 and we were issued M1s.  I don't know when they stopped using M1s in basic but it couldn't have been too much longer than that.  The cans you found were most likely just forgotten.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top