Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2005 6:42:41 AM EDT
I want a Springfeild and am wondering what kind of shape these guys are in. Bore, wood, metal finish. Any pitting on the receiver around the stock?
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 7:02:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I got a 03 and an 03A3 from the CMP about a year and a half ago.  The bores are great.
The metal all looks good with no pitting.  With a ton of cosmoline, the rifles are well preserved.  The wood is in good shape with a few dings though.

From what I have read, these are Greek returns.  From the shape they are in, I can't imagine that the Greeks used them alot.  The Greeks did stamp the last four digits of the serial number into the stock.

The CMP forum has a ton of info about these rifles.
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I got a 1903 through the CMP a couple of years ago. The rifle was mint, and apparently had been rebarreled with a new barrel. Word is there were a lot of headspace issues with these so I had mine checked. Better safe than sorry on
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 4:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]
go with the A3's as they are in a lot better shape than the 03's
Link Posted: 6/15/2005 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I got a 03 and an 03A3 from the CMP about a year and a half ago.  The bores are great.
The metal all looks good with no pitting.  With a ton of cosmoline, the rifles are well preserved.  The wood is in good shape with a few dings though.

From what I have read, these are Greek returns.  From the shape they are in, I can't imagine that the Greeks used them alot.  The Greeks did stamp the last four digits of the serial number into the stock.

The CMP forum has a ton of info about these rifles.

I am almost certain that the M1's are the Greek returns, not the Springfields.  But being that in either case they won't have import marks and you'll geta fully functional piece of history, it really is splitting hairs, isn't it?
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 3:32:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm glad to hear that. Our club is trying to become CMP affiliated and as soon as they do I'm going to get one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 4:10:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am almost certain that the M1's are the Greek returns, not the Springfields.  But being that in either case they won't have import marks and you'll geta fully functional piece of history, it really is splitting hairs, isn't it?

The Springfields are Greek returns as well.  They are redily identifiable as Greek rifles by the magwell base mod they have all had.  This will hurt their collector's value. Other than this mod, they are good rifles, in excellent shape for the most part.

The M1 Garands are identical to USGI with no mods whatsoever (except the crummy blueing some have suffered).
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 6:49:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I got an A3 a couple of weeks ago.  A remington with a '42 serial number.  The barrel is dated '43, however and shows little signs of wear.  The parkerizing is in very good condition.  The stock had a number of dings and dents in it.  I have beed bleeding grease out of it for a while now in prepairation of refinishing.
I have not checked headspace yet.
All in all, not bad for $400.
Link Posted: 6/16/2005 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I forgot about the magwell mod.
When I was disassembling the 03 for cleaning I kept trying to open the trap door of the magwell and never could.  Later I read about how the Greeks modified it.  OOOPS!!!  
I love these rifles.  I am amazed at being able to get Springfields for only $400.  They are a great piece of history.  I am not concerned that they were in Greece for a while or their collector value.
The only problem is that now I want more!
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#9]
We shot my buddy's today, and it is impressive.  He's got a straight-stock ('S' stock?) 03A3, and it's become his favorite rifle in a very short time.  His was rebarreled in 42.  I'm not sure what it gauged, but the bore looks excellent.  Very surprised at the accuracy.  I think it got more use than the M1's did today!
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 10:02:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I got a Rem 03A3 last year and it was in fantastic shape. It had a BRAND NEW barrel on it and the park. finish is 99%. The wood was in good shape without any major dings, but it was soaked in grease.

It has turned out to be a fantastic shooter, and I really like its sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top