BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/4/2004 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/4/2004 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#2]

If you like the feel of a fine lady...you will like the FAL ....
Link Posted: 12/21/2004 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Those M14s with scopes are not sniper rifles; they are Designated Marksman rifles, for engaging targets from 300-500meters.  Snipers like to operate beyond 500 meters.

Link Posted: 12/21/2004 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Did I say M14 once already?

Link Posted: 12/21/2004 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#5]
"Chapperjoe Special" Rails on Rails...     Oh yeah....did I mention he likes rails?

Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The M1A's scope options are pretty slim, Smith makes the best one. DSA makes great mounts for the FAL. Niether one was made for a scope.

Until now....   href=members.cox.net/bigsale/8-12-04%20057.jpg

members.cox.net/bigsale/8-12-04%20061.jpg

Hey Rocket, I just came over from m-14forum.com and warrifles.com. I see Different and Timanator are here...hello from SR420! anyway, great pictures of the SAGE!

I like the toy's left sitting in the box on the first pic and the one being handled looks like the Gray Navy Seal Chop Mod SAGE. Very nice. Where is this shop located?, I'd like to visit.

Here is a picture of my Scout in a standard black SAGE EBR stock.
http://www.athenswater.com/images/M1AscoutEBR-C.JPG
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Pic is perfect!

MT
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:20:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice pic H2O_MAN.

How is that Sage? I been thinking hard about one. Just the weight and the sheer mass(Looks huge towards the front)
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 3:38:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Timanator, it is a little boxy up front and you will notice a little extra weight. Not problematic for me. I like it.
The stock is a very flexible platform for all sorts of rail mount goodies so the user can configure it loaded, stripped or anything in between.

The Specter (SOP) sling pictured in my post above has been enhanced with an OD shoulder pad from the Specter  M-249 (SAW)(SOP) sling.  

http://www.athenswater.com/images/smithEBRitems1K.JPG

The "Black" standard EBR stock pictured has been replaced with a NEW, weight reduced, one of only 25 made, full length Navy "Gray" EBR stock.
The 3 Smith Enterprise EBR items have been installed and they are perfect.

I will put it on a scale when I get it back.
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 5:42:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Good picture H2O_MAN

What is that Wire coming from the rear of the trigger guard going to the top of the receiver?

And no stock?

Link Posted: 12/23/2004 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#11]
That's no wire, that's a steel plate that mates the pistol grip section to the stock. It is also the rear sling mount
I took the stock off  just for the picture. It reminds me of my old Daewoo K1A1...
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That's no wire, that's a steel plate that mates the pistol grip section to the stock. It is also the rear sling mount
I took the stock off  just for the picture. It reminds me of my old Daewoo K1A1...

Must be the angel of the shot. Looks very intimidating. Whats the weight on it with the attachments?
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Nothing official yet but, the empty gray stock is noticeably lighter - maybe a full pound lighter than the empty black stock.
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're planning to go with an M14 type, I would definitely shop around and buy or build up an LRB instead of a Springfield... unless you find an older Springfield that uses all USGI parts and barrel.

LRB's receivers are forged and truly "to spec" where SA and Armscorp are cast and not neccesarily to spec.

Newer SA's use a lot of non USGI cast parts and, as you have seen in several previous posts, there have been quality control issues.  Newer SA's are just not worth the money, as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not an "expert", but have owned several SA's plus one LRB.  One SA serial numbered in the early 1980's range was a pretty nice rig, but the other's just flat sucked in comparison - op rods were soft (one would jump out of the track once in a while), and even high-dollar scope mounts didn't fit right.  The "rack grade" LRB I built with a (Wilson chrome-lined) barreled action with headspaced USGI bolt I bought from LRB was a bit pricey after I finally scrounged up all the other USGI parts, but by far the best.

The only real advantage the M14 has over the FAL is that the sights are "rifleman's" sights on an M14, whereas the sights on an FAL seem to be almost an afterthought.  In my opinion, an FAL carries better and is probably more rugged - less prone to needing to be tweaked to keep it running.  But an FAL that weighs under 10 lbs with sling and 20rd mag and will shoot much under 3 MOA is rare, from what I've seen and heard from others.  ALL of the m14/m1a's I've ever owned would do under 2 MOA with any decent factory or NATO surplus ammo I tried using iron sights.  

But then again I doubt anybody could really outshoot a 2.5-3MOA FAL with mil-spec iron sights without a machine rest anyway.  Which brings me to optics - my experience with optics on an FAL just flat sucks - tried the ARMS mount and the DSA, both of which were nowhere near 100% reliable... though I would cough up the cash for a DSA mount again, simply because there's no better option.

Putting optics on an M14 type is not a problem, as long as you stick with the "expensive" scope mounts like Smith, Sadlak, or the old style ARMS #58 (new #58's restrict your access to the ejection port too much in my opnion, and have been known to cause ejection problems due to brass hitting the underside of the mount).

There's LOTS of info/experience to be learned from over at www.m-14forums.com.  Several builders that specialize in m14 builds that are not unreasonable in their prices if you're afraid to try to build it yourself - Warbird is one that I'd use.  After it's barreled & headspaced it's actually very simple and easy to assemble - doesn't require any special tools etc.   Also, older m1a's and LRB's can be found for sale.

When I built my LRB, they were selling "package deals" with barreled/headspaced receivers with GI bolts and GI trigger groups.  You might check 'em out - www.lrbarms.com

Good luck!

Link Posted: 12/24/2004 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.athenswater.com/images/Gray1.JPG
I picked up my Navy Gray EBR Chassis Stock Christmas Eve -
http://www.athenswater.com/images/Gray21.JPG
- The mag and magpul pictured were recently purchased from AShooter. Thanks.
More Pictures
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#16]
H2O_MAN, may I post the photo above on my web site www.imageseek.com/m1a ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey Different, it's me SR420 and sure you can put it on your web site.
You can replace the old picture with it if you want.
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 8:24:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hey Different, it's me SR420 and sure you can put it on your web site.
You can replace the old picture with it if you want.

Thanks!  Your photo is posted on the web site.  I made a comment that this particular version will not be available in the commercial market so that Sage doesn't get a zillion phone calls.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 7:36:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Different, I updated the verbage on my web site. You may find it helpful.
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#20]

What more reason do you need........
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:06:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 5:00:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top