Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/22/2004 9:18:49 PM EDT
That seems pretty self explanatory.  I recently aquired a FAL carbine, and got the .308 bug.  Now I want a full length barrel for the sake of longer range shooting.  

I understand that the recoil of the M1A is a bit more stout than a FAL, but the triggers tend to be better.  The FAL series seems to fit me well, and the weight/length are similar.

So here's your chance to convince me?  The prices of either a "springfield loaded" walnut stock or a FAL SA58 standard, seem to be "close enough."    
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with the Springfield Standard before I would the Loaded. My standard has a chrome-lined USGI TRW barrel.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Judging from the adverse feedback here in theARFCOM forums Springfield Armory's seems to be haveing QC issues, it could be iffy. Since you're spending so much money, I personally would go with a DSA SA58. Mags are easier and cheaper to find also.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:38:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:31:17 AM EDT
[#4]
The M1A has more of a reputation than actual worth. In this day and age, and after the absolute miserable time I have had with my own new production M1A, all I can say is stay far far away. Mine has never worked in the year I have owned it and it just made it's second trip in a year to SA. DSA Fal rifles are a million times the rifle that the current SA M1A's are. I own both, the M1A is no more accurate and well, mine has never been able to get 5 rounds through it without destroying cartridges and binding up. Believe the earth is still flat if you want, but the DSA rifles are a cut way above Springfield Armory.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 4:33:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Learn to work with the FAL trigger. People make beautiful statues out of big logs with chainsaws. The FAL rilfe can and will absolutely amaze you with it's accuracy potential if you can shoot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:25:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I have examples of both.  I like the ergonomics of the FAL, however, it has one major flaw and that is it's optics mounting platform.  If you intend to do target work with high end optics I would lean toward the M1A.  If instead you are just using iron sights the FAL is a great choice.  Remember, there is a reason why the FAL is not seen by many as a serious sniper rifle.  It's my understanding the M1A platform still serves in this capacity.  

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:30:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have examples of both.  I like the ergonomics of the FAL, however, it has one major flaw and that is it's optics mounting platform.  If you intend to do target work with high end optics I would lean toward the M1A.  If instead you are just using iron sights the FAL is a great choice.  Remember, there is a reason why the FAL is not seen by many as a serious sniper rifle.  It's my understanding the M1A platform still serves in this capacity.  

Regards,
Gary

The M1A's scope options are pretty slim, Smith makes the best one. DSA makes great mounts for the FAL. Niether one was made for a scope.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:58:10 AM EDT
[#8]
AR10
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#9]
find a good used early m1a, one with usgi parts and you can't go wrong
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

The M1A's scope options are pretty slim, Smith makes the best one. DSA makes great mounts for the FAL. Niether one was made for a scope.

Until now....  

Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#11]
All I can speak of is personal experience.  I've had no issues with my 1998 M1A, whilst my friend has had nothing but trouble (extraction issues) with his FAL.  DSA does have a better reputation though, and I was in fact considering a DSA FAL before I got my M1A, but the buttstock didn't feel very good in my shoulder.  Either road you take, you can't go wrong, and if you should decide that you don't like your choice, both rifles hold a high resale value.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#12]
even better than FAL or M1A,is a LRB M14 use USGI parts you'll have the best battlerifle available today!

Longhunter
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]
someone tell me what that is?
is that the sage stock? I keep hearing about
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
someone tell me what that is?
is that the sage stock? I keep hearing about

Yeah, it's the Sage ERB with an Fulton Armory receiver.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Sage stock $600
FA receiver $600
Parts Kit built $800

Salesman that's gonna jump the counter and whup your ass.. Priceless.

BTW, has anyone seen just the upper rail for sale anywhere?
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:30:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Regards,
Gary

I consider both the M14 and FAL battle rifles. Too much has to be done to an M14 to make it a "sniper" rifle. Silly choice in the world of Remington 700's and Winchester Model 70's IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 4:38:31 AM EDT
[#17]
The AR10 is superior to both the MIA and the FAL, if one is looking for a semiauto .308 for an optics platform.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
even better than FAL or M1A,is a LRB M14 use USGI parts you'll have the best battlerifle available today!

Longhunter

What is an LRB M14?  Did I miss something?  

I've never thought of a BYS M14/M1A.  Where do I look for more info?  I think I'll probably go ahead and order the DSA, but there's nothing that says I can start gathering parts for my next gun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Longhunter

What is an LRB M14?  Did I miss something?  

I've never thought of a BYS M14/M1A.  Where do I look for more info?  I think I'll probably go ahead and order the DSA, but there's nothing that says I can start gathering parts for my next gun.

Wise man, do things in advance. You will find deals, and you will have to jump them ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#20]
So where do I start?  If you were gonna do a BYO M14/M1A and really didn't know what you were doing.  Where would you look to learn?  How much more complicated than putting together and an AR or FAL is it?  A CMP garand might not be a bad idea, I qualify, but I'd rather have a .308, and detachable magazine.  

What do I need?  Are there Parts kits out there?  Where should I look?  

Thanks
Wolffie
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So where do I start?  If you were gonna do a BYO M14/M1A and really didn't know what you were doing.  Where would you look to learn?  How much more complicated than putting together and an AR or FAL is it?  A CMP garand might not be a bad idea, I qualify, but I'd rather have a .308, and detachable magazine.  

What do I need?  Are there Parts kits out there?  Where should I look?  

Thanks
Wolffie

The best 3 places to hang out and learn are:
www.m-14forum.com/index.php
www.warrifles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1
www.ambackforum.com/viewforum.php?f=108
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 1:37:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The AR10 is superior to both the MIA and the FAL, if one is looking for a semiauto .308 for an optics platform.

With the Sage stock you have plenty of room for optics.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Get the SA58...

Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Get the SA58. They are damned fine rifles and 10 milsurp mags for the price of 1 USGI M14 mag.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#25]
i built my own M14,  it all started with my brother giving me a TRW barrel  after that i went to gun shows and found like new GI parts and a stock, gun shows are great because you can deal on the prices, i then ordered a SA reciever, installed the barrel, hand lapped the bolt lugs to get the headspace right and i was done, shoots great and looks like a new gun, no metal finishing  needed.  check out the project on the top of the page .Ekie did a great job .
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Regards,
Gary

I consider both the M14 and FAL battle rifles. Too much has to be done to an M14 to make it a "sniper" rifle. Silly choice in the world of Remington 700's and Winchester Model 70's IMHO.

Of course, go to the sandbox and see how many winchesters and remingtons are being used. Why, hardly any M14s are around anymore, just ask the journalists if there are any pics of one. I'll bet it takes lumpy196 weeks to find pics of even one. Right.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Of course, go to the sandbox and see how many winchesters and remingtons are being used. Why, hardly any M14s are around anymore, just ask the journalists if there are any pics of one. I'll bet it takes lumpy196 weeks to find pics of even one. Right.

careful what you wish for
www.imageseek.com/m1a/gallery/service
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought a commercial SA NM about a year ago.

All I can say is that it shot sub-moa out of the box with aussie surplus ammo. Never had a jam or any other malfunction in over 2000 rounds fired.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Get the SA58...

Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The M1A has more of a reputation than actual worth. In this day and age, and after the absolute miserable time I have had with my own new production M1A, all I can say is stay far far away. Mine has never worked in the year I have owned it and it just made it's second trip in a year to SA. DSA Fal rifles are a million times the rifle that the current SA M1A's are. I own both, the M1A is no more accurate and well, mine has never been able to get 5 rounds through it without destroying cartridges and binding up. Believe the earth is still flat if you want, but the DSA rifles are a cut way above Springfield Armory.

Just because you had trouble with yours doesn't mean the whole lot of them are crap.

I have an M1A Scout, and have never had a single problem with it to date. It has had only one fialure to eject, and I chalk that up to maintenence since the rifle had digested 3k rounds of ammo between cleanings. I cleared the jam, and kept shooting for the rest of the afternoon (another 200+ rounds) without a hitch. Sorry you had problems with yours, but mine is a jem.

http://www.metrophotohost.com/gallery_0011/gallery_albums/album37/m1a.jpg
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Regards,
Gary

Why are you attacking me? There are plenty of M14's in Iraq, but just as I said, they are being used as battle rifles. I think you may be getting confused by seeing a scope mounted on them. If it has a scope, it must be a sniper rifle right? If you were hard enough to make it through sniper school, you'd know, after school was done, and you went to work, you wouldn't be toting an M14. An M14 in it's most refined state cannot and will not ever be as accurate and consistant as a Rem 700 setup. Go ahead and insert those animated lauging smiling faces if you like. The M14 was never intended to be a "sniper" rifle. Although it has been deplyed as such, it is a battle rifle. Ask any Marine who went to Vietnam.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#32]
And for the record, I understand that just because I had the unreasonable problems with my M1A, that doesn't mean everyone has. Understand I consider the M14 as a parallel to the M16 as the finest small weapons of war mankind has ever inspired. This is why I am so absolutely disappointed with my experience. I had an M14 built circa 1980 that was literally indesturctable. Again, another reason to be disappointed. Most guys have no problems with their rifles, but too many have. Where there is smoke, there is fire. I still hold to my statement that the DSA SA58 is ten times the rifle the current SA M1A is.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#33]
For what it's worth...I just ordered my mount from Smith Enterprises and they told me they are back ordered due to sending over a 1000 overseas to our troops this year alone.  I guess someone is serious about using the M14 platform for sniper work?  Or...perhaps the fellow from Smith was pulling my leg?  Naaaaa....

Regards,

Gary
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
For what it's worth...I just ordered my mount from Smith Enterprises and they told me they are back ordered due to sending over a 1000 overseas to our troops this year alone.  I guess someone is serious about using the M14 platform for sniper work?  Or...perhaps the fellow from Smith was pulling my leg?  Naaaaa....

Regards,

Gary

I dunno about snipers, but it sure seems no one can shoot iron sights anymore.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:02:34 PM EDT
[#35]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=287669

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=208091

Seems to be one thing in common in these threads.......FAL.

The FAL is a sleek, strong and reliable battle rifle. It is available in more favors than a Baskin Robins IceCream Cone.

MT
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Regards,

Gary

Thats what I'm talking about.
Anyone whou thinks that this is an outdated platform, or sniper rifle neeed only to look at the desire to have one of these in Iraq!
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Regards,

Gary

Thats what I'm talking about.
Anyone whou thinks that this is an outdated platform, or sniper rifle neeed only to look at the desire to have one of these in Iraq!

Ah, let them keep thinking it...more for us!
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Regards,

Gary

No Kidding, I think someone HAS to be serious as it would only make sense to us the M14 because the military already has them and does not need to spend $$ to buy new rifles.

Now if they had all the $$ they wanted to spend do you think they would be using the M14?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:54:25 AM EDT
[#39]
I had an M1A that was unreliable.  Got rid of it and had Fulton Armory build me an M14 on a Springfield reciever.  It's my favorite rifle.  I've even shot moose and deer with it.  I like FAL's, too, but the ergonomics don't suit me quite as well, and I'd feel un-PC hunting with one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 12:13:45 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Regards,

Gary

No Kidding, I think someone HAS to be serious as it would only make sense to us the M14 because the military already has them and does not need to spend $$ to buy new rifles.

Now if they had all the $$ they wanted to spend do you think they would be using the M14?

They still would. Even with an unlimited budget,weapons are only as good as the people who use, train, and repair them. There's volumes of books detailing the M14's strengths and weaknesses, both technical and practical. Some of the troops have had experience with the SA semiauto copy or with the M1 garand, its direct ancestor.Training doctrine for the base rifle and its latest iteration of sniper rifle hasn't changed since the seventies, nor does it really need to. Repair parts and the gunsmiths familiar with the design are in the system. Not a lot of parts, but enough for now.

A completely new, totally reliable rifle system that could be put in soldier's hands now would have to have been introduced back in 01. M4s were in Mogadishu, but not in sufficient numbers, nor were they the be-all, end-all of combat rifles. Produce a rifle with the m14's exact capabilities, the total spare parts needs for repair, ammo and training doctrine and then we'll talk. The Armalite AR10 is not a solution.    
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#41]
You have to shoot both before you can make an informed decision. I bought a FAL first (peer pressure), and did not care for it all. My M1A is my 'go gun'. By far my favorite rifle. Sure, costs a bit more, but so does a BMW...
Link Posted: 11/2/2004 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#42]
The DSA has already been ordered.  I already have a FAL carbine, and I like the fal design a lot.  I did go out and handle an M1A while I was making up my mind, though I didn't get to shoot it, I'll probably get the chance eventually.  To be honest, I didn't like the feel of it as well.  IMHO it was too fat in places I expected it to be thin.  I do like traditional style stocks, and for that I have a couple of bolt guns.  But they are very slim, graceful custom sporters.  (at least one of us can be slim )    Not that the M1A is a bad rifle, by any stretch of the imagination, but it didn't feel right to me.  The FAL feels very good in my hands.  I would like the DSA to be my "go to" rifle for any imaginable situation when I could need a rifle.  Like my Bushy A2 Target, but bigger.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#43]
You haven't met the M14SE Crazy Horse yet.  Stand by.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Wolffie:

When next you handle an M1A, try to find one with a military profile stock. I think that you will find it "fits" better than the national match/oversized/nonsense stocks.

BTW, Congrats on a great purchase.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#45]
M14 SE crazywhores?  Who are they?  

seriously, what is an M14 SE Crazyhorse?

Thanks MadDogKiller, It'll be a while for it to get here from DSA.  I ordered it from MT_Pockets before the election fearing a rush in purchases of evil black rifles.  In case things didn't go well, I kinda wanted to be on the top of the list.  

And for that same reason, I figured that since M1A's are considered less "evil" than those pistol gripped rifles, I'd have a better shot at getting one further down the road.    
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
M14 SE crazywhores?  Who are they?  

seriously, what is an M14 SE Crazyhorse?

Thanks MadDogKiller, It'll be a while for it to get here from DSA.  I ordered it from MT_Pockets before the election fearing a rush in purchases of evil black rifles.  In case things didn't go well, I kinda wanted to be on the top of the list.  

And for that same reason, I figured that since M1A's are considered less "evil" than those pistol gripped rifles, I'd have a better shot at getting one further down the road.    

Short answer:  The M14SE Crazy Horse is the M14 perfected.  No BS.  Stand by.
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

careful what you wish for
www.imageseek.com/m1a/gallery/service

I pointed Different to quite a few Iraq M14 photos....

One of my favorites:

www.imageseek.com/m1a/gallery/albums/service/11cnd_najaf_1_650.jpg

Lumpy196, thank you for the assist.  The M14 is under going a renaissance in the War on Terrorism.  Smell the coffee.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2004 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#49]
The photo below was taken October 15, 2004 in Iraq.  Note what the U. S. Army soldier on the left is carrying.  There's many more cool photos at www.imageseek.com/m1a  No registration, no fee, no BS.  Come and soak in the M14 rifle.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2004 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Amen. A picture is definitely worth 1000 words.

Different is providing a valuable service.

BTW where's the FAL in Iraqi Action pics?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top