Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 2:18:56 PM EDT
I'm thinking about posting my Bulgarian SA-93 for trade on the Trader board and I'm looking for an M1 Garand.  The going rate on my Bulgarian is around $550-$575 at this time and I'm wondering what to look for in a Garand valued around that same price.  

As you can probably tell from my post, I'm new to Garands and need all the help I can get.  I know I'm not going to get a match grade Garand for that value, but I'm just looking for a shooter grade in VG condition.  I've seen some for sale for less than that.  In fact, my friend bought one at a local shop for $450.  What can I look for between the $450 Garands and the $550.  I don't want to try to get more than my AK is worth out of it, but I don't want to get taken either.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out www.ocmp.com They sell M1 Garands that they get from the U.S. army as well as M1's that have been returned from other countrys. They have several grades of M1's for sale. A service grade would fill the bill for you. They cost $500 plus $20 shipping shipped to your door. There are a few requirements to meet. Basically Belong to a CMP approved club or join the Garand Collector assn, ($25 a year)Shoot a approved match, if you're a vet this is waived,the match requirement can also be qualifying for CCW, provide proof of citzenship, (birth cert works). Others here I'm sure will chime in, But check'em out, I've bought 2 M1's from them and Both are great,and both perform flawlessly,neither one has ever jammed. The last one I bought was really nice, stock was ok,(few dings, and a nice gouge) rest of rifle was like brand new inside and out, including the bore which, is the orginial one it left the Armory with in '45 I've since restocked it. It now looks like it left the armory yesterday. none of these will be "New"(although some will have been rebuilt and put away,and not reissued) almost all will at some time have been rebuilt,or been through a rebuild program  during it's life. The CMP does check headspace,and test fire before shipping. Stocks on most will range from pristine to well beat. Still the best bargin out there,These are real pieces of U.S. history, also check out www.jouster.com lots of M1 info there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
A CMP S.A. service grade would be in the high end of your price range. You are more likely to get a CMP Danish service grade in trade for your AK.
With the price of Romanian AK's being what they are, you've got to really want that Bulgarian to pay that kind of money for it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info on the CMP program.  I even have someone who buys them regularly and offered to sell me one at cost.  I was hoping to post the Bulgarian for trade, but I don't know what kind of luck I'll have with that.  

I know the Romanians are priced cheap, but there's absolutely no comparison between the two.  I had an SAR-2 before, and for a shooter it was fine.  If you want real quality, the Bulgarian is the only way to go.  The others I've seen for sale reflect my price range I'm planning to sell/trade for.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.  I'll definately look into the CMP.  It will give me an excuse to get out there and shoot a match this spring.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking your rifle. I'm not implying it's over priced. I'm simply saying that most AK owners buy an AK for what it was meant to be, a utilitarian, reliable, sheet metal rifle in the 4-5 MOA range. You have to be a real AK enthusiast to want more than the basic.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't take offense at your post at all.  I was just saying that after owning and shooting Bulgarians, I would't go back to the stamped reciever AK's.  My friends that own the stamped ones shoot mine and feel the same way.  They say it feels like a real rifle, not a "toy".  Anyway, I might have a trade pending locally, but we'll see what happens there.

I'm still looking into the CMP, though.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Go thru the CMP.  Trust me!  It's relatively easy and you will probably get another, again trust me.

Join this club and it fills the club affiliation requirement.  Allow them to forward your membership to the CMP also.www.garandcollector.org  

Then log on to the CMP website www.odcmp.com and get your Garand rifle.  I recommend a Springfield Armory service grade or the same in HRA.  I even went so far as to put a note in the packet requesting a high serial # SA and got a new from arsenal rebuild 5.9 million rifle.  New barrel, stock, inards, everything!  Apparently the late SA'a and the HRA's are regarded as the best of the best in Garands as they were the most finely machined and being built during peace time they were held to better QC.  Mine are tack drivers.  Go to this site.  These guys are the Garand Gurus  and they know their shit, inside and out.  World known experts regularly post here.  www.jouster.com.  Sorry for rambling on but I love these rifles!

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The M1 can get under your skin, I've bought 2, and since then That's about all I shoot. I haven't shot either of my ARs since Garanditius set in.....23 other rifles to choose from in the safe, and what do I pick 99% of the time? the M1.I've even thought of selling some of my other rifles to get more M1's. I'd kinda like one in .308. Hmmm, might be time for a sale.........    
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:25:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I might have to wait a while before going through the CMP.  I can't shoot a match right now.  I'm heading in for neck and back surgery soon and can't do any rifle or shotgun shooting until I'm all healed up.  Too bad I didn't start this last month since there is a waiver for LE, I had to resign due to my injuries a month ago!  But, when I am healed up, I'm going to do the match and get my Garand.

Thanks again, you talked me into it!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#9]
You can shoot a pistol match.  the requirement is that you fire 50 rounds in a marksmanship activity.  It can be a CCW training class, anything, any gun.  22lr.  Just shoot 50 rounds, get RO or club sponser to sihn the score card, etc. and you are good to go.  In your situation I would email the CMP boss, Orest Micheals, and explain you are prior LEO and explain your situation.  I would bet you are good to go.  They are a good group to do business with and customer service there is excellent!  Try it, bet you'll be on your way real fast!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 3:28:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Have participated in a marksmanship activity where
at least 50 rounds of range firing were completed.
You must provide a copy of a results bulletin from a
competition or clinic completed with-in the last five
years or other proof you fired at least 50 rounds or participated
in other CMP approved marksmanship activities.
Providing proof of military or law enforcement service
or proof of Distinguished, Instructor or Coach status
will satisfy this requirement.
This requirement is waived if
your proof of age shows you to be at least 60 years of
age. Proof of marksmanship not required for purchase of
drill rifles.

Your military DD214 or current ID card is all you need, other than affilliated club membership.  Garand "matches" run every couple of weeks here on the North Coast.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll have to look into that.  I can get all my qualification records from the PD, and I'm techinically still a "Special" on the PD due to my Animal Control job I hold part time.  I like it, I get to hunt all hear long.

By keeping me on as a Special, my Chief is using that status to send me to the next Firearms Instructor class that comes around after I heal up.  Things are looking up for me there, too.

Anyway, I will definately look into that now.  Geez, you guys are making it easier and easier to spend my money.

Thanks again and again and yet again!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top