Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2013 9:20:37 PM EDT
Here's the situation. Barrel dimpling jigs are $$ and I would rather spend the time than the money.

I don't have a mill or a decent drill press, but I do have a little bench top lathe.

Could this be as simple as getting some 1" stock and mounting it in the chuck sideways and cross drilling it and tapping it first, then mounting it lengthwise and boring it out to fit the barrel?

I'd then be able to tap one side of the hole to take a pointed setscrew to index it on the gas port, which would allow me to dimple the barrel 180 degrees opposite and centered on the gas port, correct?
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 1:07:30 AM EDT
[#1]
That would be fine as long as you can hit dead center when you cross drill.
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 5:52:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would be fine as long as you can hit dead center when you cross drill.
View Quote

This ^^^

Nothing wrong with doing it on the lathe, you just have to be sure you get it indicated in properly. That is a classic case of using "the wrong tool for the job". Sometimes using the wrong tool will still work, but most of the time it is a lot more difficult and challenging. If you're up for it I see no problem with trying...
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Would using a dead center in the tailstock to pinch a ruler against the work piece in the chuck work for finding center? Or do I need to use indicators?
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish I had a decent drill press. I have a tiny little ryobi that has plenty of wobble. I use it for all kinds of things, but nothing that needs to be precise. And by the time I bought decent V blocks I could just buy the dimpling jig itself from brownells.
Link Posted: 11/22/2013 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Would using a dead center in the tailstock to pinch a ruler against the work piece in the chuck work for finding center? Or do I need to use indicators?
View Quote

That depends how precise you want your holes located for the dimpling jig. Your holes will only be located as precisely as all of your errors combined. If you have a sloppy old lathe you will have a .005-.020 error (depending on technique and how bad your lathe is) just on getting a drill-bit started in the work-piece. If you add on another .050" by using only a ruler to locate your work-piece into the 4-jaw you could end up with a total tolerance stackup of .140" (over 1/8"). Are you ok with that? How close and how repeatable can you get a workpiece into your 4-jaw using a ruler?
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 4:49:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 8:41:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Use a piece of square stock to make the set up simple.

A tailstock vise is an option, but you'd have to fabricate that.  Southbend is the only lathe I've seen that supplied one in the accessories.

A Palmgren milling vise for the cross slide is another option.

View Quote

From my understanding he has the stock already to size, he just needs to drill the 2 dimpling holes into it in a precise manner.

Your post does bring up a good point though. You can "clamp" the stock to your cross-slide and use the cross-slide to get the holes precisely spaced. Use shim-stock under the work-piece to get it to the right height, drill first hole, crank cross-slide the right distance and drill second hole (with drill bit in the head-stock).
Link Posted: 11/24/2013 6:45:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top