Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2011 12:11:03 PM EDT
I don't want to use acetone, and I don't necessarily want to apply too much heat near polymer parts.

What other options, if any, are there for unscrewing blue Loctite?
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Try heating it with a hair dryer.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 12:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Try heating it with a hair dryer.

I bought my wife a new hair dryer and put the old one on my bench.........MANY uses for it there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2011 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I don't want to use acetone, and I don't necessarily want to apply too much heat near polymer parts.

What other options, if any, are there for unscrewing blue Loctite?

You shouldn't need any heat or anything with blue.

Link Posted: 1/3/2011 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Better than a hair dryer:

A soldering iron-you apply heat directly to the screwhead. I pull front sights from Glocks that have had the red LocTite used with no problem. Unless you "Dum-Dum" it you have no chance of damaging anything.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 7:13:04 AM EDT
[#5]
What size screws, and was actual LocTite brand used? Screws under about 8-32 will need a little heat...I like the soldering iron idea. Green Loctite is better for the really small screws.

The only reason I ask about the brand is that different brands have different color codes. I bought some off brand stuff that uses the color red for medium strength....equivalent to blue in Loctite brand.
Link Posted: 1/4/2011 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I just use the correct screwdriver.  I've never had an issue with blue loctite, even on 6-48 screws.
Red loctite is a whole nother cat...
Link Posted: 1/5/2011 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Better than a hair dryer:

A soldering iron-you apply heat directly to the screwhead. I pull front sights from Glocks that have had the red LocTite used with no problem. Unless you "Dum-Dum" it you have no chance of damaging anything.

THIS is why I read all these threads, somebody smarter than me always has a better idea than I would have....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top