Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2010 6:10:05 PM EDT
i prefer the term "battle rifle" over "assult rifle" but same difference. Been debating between a kel tek sub 2000 and a AK 47. there is only a $200 dollar price difference between the two. I really like the AK for its durability, potency, and extended range of the ammuniton. On the other hand the sub 2000 would complement my glock 22 well, as well as not requiring me to buy extra ammo and magazines to have on hand.

As of now i am leaning heavily towrds the AK, i feel that the rage and durability potency of the sub 2000 are too limiting. i live in more of a suburb and work in urban and bug out is to very rural. max range shooting would be 200yds.

why would 40cal carbine be better than an AK here
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#1]
In my experience with the sub 2000, it is no joy to use as a regular rifle.  The only attraction for me is it takes Glock 9mm magazines and it folds in half.  Otherwise, I wouldn't touch it and never take it out to plink with because of the uncomfortable and hard to see sights.  However, in the suburban / urban environment for bug out purposes, you can't get any better for discreet carry in a computer bag or something like that, as compared to the instantly recognizable profile of an AK.

The Beretta Storm is a hell of a lot nicer pistol caliber carbine and very small, but of your options (and if this is your only long gun), I think I'd have to vote for the AK.

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 8:06:16 PM EDT
[#2]
i will have a shotgun as well.... but rate of fire is a lot slower and with a lot less range
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I really, really like my Uzi but it's the last thing I would pick if I needed a weapon and a rifle was available.

Rifles have power and ballistics that pistol calibers just can't touch.

BSW

Link Posted: 8/8/2010 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Take the AK over the Kel-Tec any day of the week.

Cheap practice ammo and WAY more effective HD ammo (SP, TSX, V-Max).
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go with the AK for sure if I was you. I mean yes pistol caliber carbines are nice so you have the same ammo to share between pistol and carbine and can be more compact. But a rifle will be more powerful and makes for a better primary weapon. That and I just don't know how good a Kel-tec Sub 2000 will work. But AK's just plain work.
Link Posted: 8/8/2010 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#6]
sounds good! really helpful! was kind of hoping to get talked out of the AK but all in all it sounds a lot better of a choice and i feel a lot better about the decision.
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 4:17:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I would lean with the AK as well.

The Sub 2000 is not a bad carbine, but it is very limited.  With an AK you get longer ranges and penetration if you need it.  Sure it is not accurate to win a rifle comp, but you can still hit man size targets past 200 yards if your rifle is sighted in.

Max
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Sub 2000 = Toy
AK-47 = Most widely used rifle in the world
I choose AK............................
Link Posted: 8/9/2010 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a big fan of pistol caliber carbines, but for your need go with the AK.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 11:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]
AK it is
Link Posted: 8/13/2010 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#11]
The one place where the PCC shines is the ability to effectively use a suppressor without decreasing the performance of the ammo.
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm seriously considering selling my AMD 65 to buy a Sterling carbine. I held one at a gun show today and they feel nice. I've always been a pistol caliber carbine fan and prefer them over "assault" rifles.
Link Posted: 8/16/2010 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/17/2010 7:09:51 AM EDT
[#14]
The folding carbine is a great idea...but that is a niche gun to me.  If you don't already own an AK...get that first...get the carbine a year or two from now.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:00:35 AM EDT
[#15]
About 6 months ago I finally decided that the GSG-5 was a hopeless airsoft conversion (no matter how tacticool it looked) and went to trade it in with the idea of picking up a sub 2k.  When I got to the fun shop they were out of sub 2k's and seemed back ordered, so I shopped around and ended up picking up a WASR-10 for 375.  While the AK purists out there knock the WASR line, a lot of people think it is hated by them because they spent close to a grand on their AK.  It is not concealable like the sub 2k, but talk about range and stopping power.  Plus, if you like to tinker, you can always put an underfolder or similar style stock on it to make it about 10 inches shorter.  If you can afford it, get both.  If you need to drop something over 100 yards use the AK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top