Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2011 10:55:39 PM EDT
Anyone handle one yet?  Top Gun Supply has them for $1400 so they are available to the public.  So what do you SIG aficionados think about this new rifle finally available to the US market?
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 6:23:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one.

After about 15-20 mag changes the mag release lever doesn't latch the mags in on its own.  I have to physically pull the lever back to lock the mag in.  I'm out of state for work right now, so I won't be able to send it off to sig to fix until I get back.

Other than that, I liked it.  The swiss stock is so much better than the chincy sig collapsible one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone handle one yet?  Top Gun Supply has them for $1400 so they are available to the public.  So what do you SIG aficionados think about this new rifle finally available to the US market?

haha yes - love the misleading advertising from Sig - implies it's a real 551 which it definitely is not.
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
i just got mine. i had to pry it out of my buddies hands tonight....
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 9/13/2011 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha yes - love the misleading advertising from Sig - implies it's a real 551 which it definitely is not.

Yes I do know how old the original SIG 551 is, but it is NEW to the US market.  Good luck trying to find an original 551.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 1:46:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Is the bbl threaded or is the F/S machined into the bbl? If it is threaded, what's the thread pitch/diameter?

Any range reports?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Same as an AR15.  Its the same barrel in the standard 556 model.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I do know how old the original SIG 551 is, but it is NEW to the US market.  Good luck trying to find an original 551.

My post has nothing to do with how easily a 551 is found (or how old?) - obviously a real 551 is rare.

The 551-a1 is a SIG 556 with a new aluminum lower receiver that takes 551 mags and a Swiss stock and a different flash hider. It's really not even a new rifle.

I'm just a little disgusted by SIG's deceptive ad for it - i.e. "rifle finally available to the US". sort of designed to trick the average Joe into thinking that it is Swiss. Typical SIG-USA asshattery.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#9]
So what is going to make people happy?  When the 556 first came out, people moaned and groaned...they didn't like this or this...So SIG changed it a little to suit customer needs.  People continued to cry, SIG changed the rifle more to suit what people were asking for....still the crying continues...

Now this new/old what ever comes to the shelves, and still people aren't happy.

Question, what will make people happy?  A rifle that you actually have to fly to Switzerland to pick up?  I think SIG is bending over backwards trying to make their customer base happy, and trying to listen to what the firearms community wants....   I say Good Job SIG!  When I have the cash I would like to purchase this rifle....
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#10]
what the fuck are you talking about?

I merely stated that I don't find Sig's ad to be completely forthright. Next thing you know someone is accusing me of whining about or bashing the rifle. Is it poor reading comprehension or just looking for arguments???  

I actually think the 556 is a decent rifle, which is all this 551-a1 is: a 556 with a few changes - even with the cheesy chinese potmetal sights. Just don't kid yourself and be aware  that a 556-a1 is in no way as high quality (made to the same spec's) as a real 551.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:24:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one and a friend with a real 551. The new 551 A1 is reallu a great rifle and I really like the the swiss mags. Mine is very tight and shoots and functions fantasticly.  It looks good and runs smooth as silk. Accuracy is right up there with the AR and machine work is top of the line. Like my 556's amd 516's but the 551 is my fav. Do I care if its not a reals made in Swiss Land 551. No. People always want the original version of a gun even if the newer version may be better. It s just not so all the time.

I know first hand. I am one of the few people here in the US that owns a real Stoner 63. and have since 1977.  Its a great gun and I love having it but a friend has a Ribinson M96 (Copy) and it shoots and handles fine (A wee bit slower than mine and only 30 rounds at a time)  If we could get a real 551 how many people would pay the $5,000 price just to have a real Swiss gun instead of one thats close.

I you want to know I paid $5500 for the Stoner in 77 and bought a new Toyota the same year. Both cost the same.  Ask my Ex Wife.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 5:38:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So what is going to make people happy?  When the 556 first came out, people moaned and groaned...they didn't like this or this...So SIG changed it a little to suit customer needs.  People continued to cry, SIG changed the rifle more to suit what people were asking for....still the crying continues...

Question, what will make people happy?  A rifle that you actually have to fly to Switzerland to pick up?  I think SIG is bending over backwards trying to make their customer base happy, and trying to listen to what the firearms community wants....   I say Good Job SIG!  When I have the cash I would like to purchase this rifle....

this rifle was made to resemble exterior-only what is a fantastic rifle.

the 556 is a good gun, I've had two great ones, and never seen one that failed personally.

but you can't compare either the 556 or this one to a real swiss gun.

Like all AR's, it's not so much the parts. It comes down to QC.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:45:55 PM EDT
[#13]
chapperjoe

Your wrong.  I have a freind (Class III Dealer) that has a real 550 Dealer Sample and a real 551. He is also a Sig certified armorer and does work for several government agencies and police departmentsHe and I took my 551 apart and looked at both internals and the Sig 551 A1 had better machining on the bolt carrier than the 550 and the same as the 551. All other parts (except for the select fire parts) were the same. The only diff we could tell is the actual lower housing which is stanped steel alloy. He commented that he new 551A was well made and even tighter than his real 551. The 550 was another story. The parts inside were not machined as smooth as the newer 551A1 or the real 550. The quality of the new 551 A1 is just as good as the real Swiss guns and so is the newer 556. Sig seems to have fixed teh QC problems that had in teh past as every Sig I've seen in the past year was great.

Why did I buy a 551 A1?  I got to fire his Swiss 550 and 551 several times and he would not hire me as a sales person so that I could get a real select fire SIg 550 (as a sales tool of course).  I've got 3 Sig 556 guns anbd the 551 A1 and if you've never handeled one the Swiss mags and the mag release lever are really cool.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:08:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Not doubting you, but pics do speak a thousand words...
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:21:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Double...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:35:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I have no dog in this fight but I do have a question for someone who has handled both: What is the appeal of the 551-A1 over the 556? Functionally, am I gaining anything with one versus the other?

The reason I ask is because one of the features that drew me in to the 556 originally was magazine commonality with ARs. I own a virtual mountain of AR mags, so the ability to standardize was very appealing to me.

Put another way, if I am happy with the mag style of the 556 and I have already upgraded the furniture of my 556s, is there a reason for me to own a 551-A1? Please understand that I'm not knocking the 551-A1, I am instead attempting to become educated on the subject matter. Thank you in advance for your insight

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:38:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
chapperjoe

Your wrong.  I have a freind (Class III Dealer) that has a real 550 Dealer Sample and a real 551. He is also a Sig certified armorer and does work for several government agencies and police departmentsHe and I took my 551 apart and looked at both internals and the Sig 551 A1 had better machining on the bolt carrier than the 550 and the same as the 551. All other parts (except for the select fire parts) were the same. The only diff we could tell is the actual lower housing which is stanped steel alloy. He commented that he new 551A was well made and even tighter than his real 551. The 550 was another story. The parts inside were not machined as smooth as the newer 551A1 or the real 550. The quality of the new 551 A1 is just as good as the real Swiss guns and so is the newer 556. Sig seems to have fixed teh QC problems that had in teh past as every Sig I've seen in the past year was great.

Why did I buy a 551 A1?  I got to fire his Swiss 550 and 551 several times and he would not hire me as a sales person so that I could get a real select fire SIg 550 (as a sales tool of course).  I've got 3 Sig 556 guns anbd the 551 A1 and if you've never handeled one the Swiss mags and the mag release lever are really cool.

none of the parts that have experienced QC problems (mind you I have never seen a lemon, but they ARE documented) have changed in any way.

this was a cosmetic leap forward (looks like the real deal), a functional step backward (50's era AK mag release), and a very smart move by the marketing geniuses at Sig USA, they sell more rifels, and more expensive mags to boot.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Yea Joe,

But I like the mags a lot and the mag release is much more efficient that the button. Like you, I think it is ultra reliable because of the gas system and the piston. The 516 is great as well. I like my 516 better than most of my AR's.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 1:29:49 PM EDT
[#19]
the mag release has already failed in an arfkommers 551.

I'm not knocking the platform, more the company and the management.

And again, I've had two 556's and both ran like raped apes.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

the 551's not so much

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Going to respectfully disagree. Sig Sauer Exeter fails in the quality control department when compared to SIG Switzerland. I've owned multiple generations of the 556 and also own multiple Swiss 55x rifles and there is no direct comparison. It is like comparing a Colt or Knights Armament AR15 to a DPMS or a Rolex to a faux made-in-Asia Rolex copy.

As with many things, the death is in the details. SIG Switzerland pays attention to those details, while Sig Sauer Exeter overlooks them.

The 551-A1 is a step in the right direction, but it is still not a Swiss equivalent rifle.

And on another note PLEASE tell me you purchased a whole bunch of transferable MGs at 1977 prices.  Very cool on the Stoner!

Quoted:
chapperjoe

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah Baby!!

I purchased several Thompsons, 1928, 1921 AND M1A FOR AROUND $800 each.  A MAC 10 45ACP $100 NIB, M16 A1 Carbine from Colt NIB $850 and many more. Sold many of the Thompsons and others when the price got to much to turn down. Now just a few left including  Swedish K, 1921 Colt Thompson, Smith Wesson 76, M60 (Maramount) and the Stoner. Besides the Stoner the Swed K is my Fav.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah Baby!!

I purchased several Thompsons, 1928, 1921 AND M1A FOR AROUND $800 each.  A MAC 10 45ACP $100 NIB, M16 A1 Carbine from Colt NIB $850 and many more. Sold many of the Thompsons and others when the price got to much to turn down. Now just a few left including  Swedish K, 1921 Colt Thompson, Smith Wesson 76, M60 (Maramount) and the Stoner. Besides the Stoner the Swed K is my Fav.

Outstanding! A Colt 21 and/or 28 are on my short list. Painful what transferable MGs cost now, but still worth it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Class III was a lot of fun when you could buy them a cost of between 800 - 1500 for the real deal. Now days prices just take thye fun out of it. I have been purchasing some suppressors as they are fun and don't break the bank. I saw a MAC 10 the other day in a gun shop for $3500 well used.  In 1977 I paid $100 for an original Powder Springs GA gin NIB.

Maybee some day they will over turn the restrictions and allow new manufacture of guns and bring the prices down to normal.

My Class III dealer friend would trade his real Sig 551 for my Colt 1921. If he would through in a new Toyta we might have a deal!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Class III was a lot of fun when you could buy them a cost of between 800 - 1500 for the real deal. Now days prices just take thye fun out of it. I have been purchasing some suppressors as they are fun and don't break the bank. I saw a MAC 10 the other day in a gun shop for $3500 well used.  In 1977 I paid $100 for an original Powder Springs GA gin NIB.

Maybee some day they will over turn the restrictions and allow new manufacture of guns and bring the prices down to normal.

My Class III dealer friend would trade his real Sig 551 for my Colt 1921. If he would through in a new Toyta we might have a deal!!

I would love to pay MSRP on new MGs. Too bad we are restricted to a limited pool of transferables. I still consider it worth buying transferables, though the prices are painful.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have no dog in this fight but I do have a question for someone who has handled both: What is the appeal of the 551-A1 over the 556? Functionally, am I gaining anything with one versus the other?

The reason I ask is because one of the features that drew me in to the 556 originally was magazine commonality with ARs. I own a virtual mountain of AR mags, so the ability to standardize was very appealing to me.

Put another way, if I am happy with the mag style of the 556 and I have already upgraded the furniture of my 556s, is there a reason for me to own a 551-A1? Please understand that I'm not knocking the 551-A1, I am instead attempting to become educated on the subject matter. Thank you in advance for your insight

I did it for the looks. Not going to lie. The sig 552 is just damn sexy, and I remember seeing them in movies, and I always thought it would be cool to have one. So I bought one. Just waiting on the paper work to cut the barrel shroud off. I will say the 552 I have is a damn fine weapon, the fit and finish on it is outstanding. I would not compare it to the new sig USA offerings that I have seen. And I've seen quite a few. Not that sig doesn't make a decent weapon, but they have had issues in the past. The swiss gun, I don't see any of those issues.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#26]
The Sig 556 is a great gun. I bought the 551 A1 because I liked teh way it looks and I wanted another one. By the time I paid for the high cost of upgrading the Swiss stock, handguards and other parts it would have cost more than just buying the 551.  I think the 556 and the Ar mag compatability are really great I like the Swiss style mag release lever better than the button. Everyone is hyped up on AR mags and all the guns that take the AR standard mags for all kinds of reasons. I have never had an AR mag get worn out or break and that goes for almost all the types of mag I have. I've got 44 like new FAl mags and two guns that us ethem. None have ever worn out. Same for the HK mag, AUg mags and most others.  The Swiss mags I like a lot and the cost is coming down each week. Both the 556 and 551 are great guns. I'm even hooked on the 516 now. The 551 just looks cool and recently many of the new shows on TV now are using the Sig 550 and 551 now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 12:09:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No shit. SIG even bent over backwards railing the he'll out of a few of their 556 models.
And, we still have Swat Team Wannabe's, and Paint Ball Commandoes that aren't satisfied.

Isn't there a member here now wishing that the 551 would take AR Mags?  

God Bless you SIG!
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 4:21:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I just saw and handled a new 556 yesterday and it has the Swiss folder and Swiss handguards. Its like the 551 but takes Ar mags. Sig is busting out all over with these new 556's  The fit was tight and no woble or slopyness.  Its next on my list.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit. SIG even bent over backwards railing the he'll out of a few of their 556 models.
And, we still have Swat Team Wannabe's, and Paint Ball Commandoes that aren't satisfied.

Isn't there a member here now wishing that the 551 would take AR Mags?  

God Bless you SIG!

Good grief -  the Sig koolaid slurping fanboys have arrived!  God bless you Sig - we love you! Now everybody pull out your rainbow finish diamond plate pistols and bow towards Exeter! We are not worthy!

Link Posted: 10/14/2011 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Pics of 551A1 with new swiss green furniture.  The lighting was pretty poor for these:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top