Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2017 11:06:34 PM EDT
My Kel Tec RDB has had its first issue. The A2 flash hider came loose and is now loose on the barrel IE able to rotate freely. The jam nut rotates but only unscrews about 1/32 before it gets gritty and then stops unthreading.  AND here we go i'll call Monday.
                                                                                                            ]

Well see.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a wrench and fix it yourself.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:38:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Well there's the thing when I noticed it was looses I was thinking oh well I'll put a brake or something else on instead of the A2.

BUT The jam nut won't come off. I am worried they used thread locker and some is still in there and will damage the threads when I do take it off.  

OR worse yet the threads are damaged and will be damaged even more when I do take it off and then they tell me its my problem. Hence I will be calling Kel Tec Monday well see what they say.

It had better be good.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#3]
They may have used rock set...soak it in water and then try backing it off but easy fix yourself, I would not send it in over a $3 crush washer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:08:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, if there is a white crystalline substance on the threads, that is Rocksett.  Try warm water and a bristle brush.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#5]
If it's gritty like you say, I'd probably hit it with pb blaster and work it back and forth until it comes off.

Alternatively you could also cut the jamb nut and use a chisel to split the cut, making the nut fall off...
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
...and while you are at it...get on Amazon and order a bottle of Rocksett.  Seriously good stuff. 

A little goes a long ways AND you don't need to crank down on your muzzle device.  I run my .308 brakes at less than 20 lb/ft of torque and they stay put!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:09:38 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW, my RFB had thread locker on it - heat that sucker up with a torch and clean it all up.

Also FYI the check nut flats were even thinner than my AUG check nut flats, so I ended up with YET ANOTHER thin wrench to do the RFB:
Amazon Product
  • Thin, but strong design, to reach confined working areas where traditional wrenches cant reach.
  • Drop forged, heat treated, chrome plated steel.
  • Sizes: 8 x 9, 10 x 11, 12 x 13, 14 x 15, 16x17, 18 x 19, 20 x 21, 24 x 27, 30 x 32.

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Isnt the RDB barrel longer than 17 inches anyway?

I would crank it off myself, in the ublikely event you damage the threads, there is length to play with.  ADCO can even fix them without reducing the length.

Think of it this way, you know it got threaded on tbere....

Have a beer, and then take a wrench to it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Well
I asked about the A2 hide unthreading and what did we need to do. Also said that the Jam nut was loose and would turn but would stop after a few millimeters of travel.

They said just tighten it back up it will be ok. Should have a crush washer between the two.

Ok then i'll give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:52:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Why are you concerned about wrenching it?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well
I asked about the A2 hide unthreading and what did we need to do. Also said that the Jam nut was loose and would turn but would stop after a few millimeters of travel.

They said just tighten it back up it will be ok. Should have a crush washer between the two.

View Quote
Did it HAVE the crush washer?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:00:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well

View Quote
There is no crush washer. I don't understand, if the A2 bird cage is off put a wrench on the jam nut along with a little oil and work it with a wrench rock set or not it will turn right off. Removed my A2 for a the Epsilon Vg6, the project took less time then it took to post this. 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:07:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:41:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Well its back on now.

Now to see if it holds. IF!!!  

Guy told me its not coming off now.    OK.   Well See!!!!!

Bad thing is it will be weeks before I can get to the range again. I have to work 12's for the next 3 weeks maybe 4 weeks straight.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Well its back on now.

Now to see if it holds. IF!!!  

Guy told me its not coming off now.    OK.   Well See!!!!!

Bad thing is it will be weeks before I can get to the range again. I have to work 12's for the next 3 weeks maybe 4 weeks straight.
View Quote
man...I do NOT miss that crap.  I am in the automotive industry and have done lots and lots of 12s.  Straights are killer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Your thread is a little miss leading aint...your front fell off...it was just your A2 flash hider. Come on.

Hope it is fixed now.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I got time today to go shoot.  Its on there and not coming off.

He put it on there real good. He said it had oil on it when he took it off. First guy didn't degrease it. So he had to degrease the threads on the barrel, the jam nut and the A2. Then ran the jam nut all the way down and then ran the A2 all the way down after applying Rockset liberally. Then indexed the A2 and tightened the jam nut.

I ran 120 rounds through one 20 rd magazine. Shoot 20 decent pace, then reload, then shoot 20 rds then reload. Pretty warm then waited 2 hours for it to cool and then shot another 60 rounds. Its not loose or rotated or can even be budged.

Tomorrow I am going to do some drills a friend came up with that used to use bullpups exclusively.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top