Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2013 3:59:03 AM EDT

I rescently ordered and received the Bullpup Unlimited 870 kit.  The general layout of the 870 bullpup as shown is probably going to be the final configuration steup once I work out the final details of the tube capacity of the shotgun.

What I like about it so far:

It is a bullpup!  It makes a great addition to my AUGCQC.
It is fun.  It is shorter than my Mossberg 500 setup.
MHO on the design-it seems that this is an updated Mossberg 500 bullpup shell design.  There are some similarities between the two designs but I think this a better refinement of the concept of the bullpup stock.
It can be used with either shoulder without any problems.
There are rails!  More real estate options for the coffee maker!
Adding the VFG(the TD shorty), it seems to me that I am cycling the action a bit faster and more under controlled.

What I hate about the kit so far:
I can't put extra ammo on it.  I know there are rail holders of extra shot shells but not sure if that will alter the ability to load the shot gun fast.
I wished that they had a rear end QD socket for the sling.  The design has plastic slip in sling adaptors but I'm bit learly on the durability of the adpators.  I am probably going to use a RSA and figure out a rear sling attachment for this kit.
I wish that they offer different colours stocks.  I am thinking just sending it out for Multi cam.  But I must remember that you can any other colour along it is black.
I can't put the Mossberg breacher barrel on it.  Judging by the design specs of the Mossberg breacher barrel.  The stand off device is too big to be fitted on the stock.  I am looking at the Remington 870 20" breacher barrel on Midway to giving it that EBS look.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 4:12:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagscribed
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 4:24:48 AM EDT
[#2]
So your saying I need to be on the lookout for a cheap 870?
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 4:36:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, I got from my boss his 870 for 200 bucks.  It was the older 870 without the stupid dimple on the tube but has the flex tab on it.  Plus, when I removed the wooden stock, there was a mark id from a sheriff department.  Where, I have the faintest idea which department had it.  The mark was small and I did not see until I saw numbers in marker ink on the stock.

There is a guy here used the Chinese knock off of the 870.  The nighthawk shot gun I think was the brand.  He did not posted it that long ago.  It should be in the back pages of the current forum.  I think the price of the shotgun is 200+ NIB.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:18:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, I got from my boss his 870 for 200 bucks.  It was the older 870 without the stupid dimple on the tube but has the flex tab on it.  Plus, when I removed the wooden stock, there was a mark id from a sheriff department.  Where, I have the faintest idea which department had it.  The mark was small and I did not see until I saw numbers in marker ink on the stock.

There is a guy here used the Chinese knock off of the 870.  The nighthawk shot gun I think was the brand.  He did not posted it that long ago.  It should be in the back pages of the current forum.  I think the price of the shotgun is 200+ NIB.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the Hawk Model 982
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:41:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's the Hawk Model 982
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the Hawk Model 982

I was close. That's the Chinese copy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 4:45:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe this is a sling mounting option?

Or something like this.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually, that's what I was looking at or something similar.  I did a field design that work for its intended purpose.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the Hawk Model 982

QUESTION: Some chinese guns, like the NEF Pardner have an odd length mag tube and the new reminton has an odd length tube, does the length of the mag tube make any diff in this stock?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]
It should not make any difference. The lenght of the feeding tube would be either covered by the stock or just sticks out.

Barrels lenght and or muzzle attachments would be the one I would be concern of.

The barrel in the pic is the 18 1/2 " barrel. I do believe my shotgun is the old riot gun that remington had marketed back in the happy days.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#11]
First time I have seen this. I like it. Where and how much?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 3:48:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Go to bullpup unlimited and the cost is about $370ish including s&h. Just remember it only work with the 870 type shotgun.

I forgot to state that the tube extension is a tac star 3 shot tube in the pic.

I finally settle for a 2 shot extension so it cam be remained hidden.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I forgot to add that the Hawk shotgun may need a bit of help in getting the trigger bar to hit the trigger group.  I forgot who did the Hawk bullpup here on the Hive.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if this will work with a Super Magnum Express?
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I do believe if the chamber is 3" and do believe that is the max chambering for the design.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I just built one with a Hawk 981R from Bud's for $185 + the kit.  LOVE IT!  VFG w/ light built in is a great addition for home defense use.  Haven't really sorted out a sling, etc yet.  

It is a very smooth gun to fire.  The recoil seems mild for a pump.  Probably because of a good recoil pad and the thing being closer to CG (center of gravity) so it is easier to control not all stretched out.

There is NO WAY I would pay the going price for a KFG with this option available.  This from a man who just bought an RFB and loves it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:07:25 PM EDT
[#17]
please show pictures, this seems like it would be a cheap and fun mod to do!
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 4:24:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

No pictures handy, but it looks very much like the one at the top of the page, except a different looking VFG.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is easy to drop in and put together.  You can do it in 45 mins.

I gotten down to 20 mins take down and reinstall.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Here is mine.

Shooting videos below.  (if someone could embed them for them I'd appreciate it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnldR5yShV4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GZSPSzKsKI

Link Posted: 9/17/2013 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#21]
nice set up, not a shottie person myself, but looks good.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/19/2013 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#23]
What is the trigger linkage like, and how does the trigger feel?
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 6:46:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Here is mine.

https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1157435_584298151628753_815834052_n.jpg

Shooting videos below.  (if someone could embed them for them I'd appreciate it.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnldR5yShV4

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/3/2013 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What is the trigger linkage like, and how does the trigger feel?
View Quote

It’s actually surprisingly good.  Feels smooth and it’s not to long.

My wife likes it as well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#26]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GZSPSzKsKI

One more video from the weapons POV.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 12:48:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Videos:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnldR5yShV4 [/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GZSPSzKsKI[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GZSPSzKsKI[/youtube]

Nice, video embed fail.
ETA - Ahh, I see, have to pays $$ to be able to share videos.  
If someone wants to copy/paste the 3 vids for the OP, just grab, copy/paste from above..

Link Posted: 10/3/2013 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Feels smooth and it’s not to long. My wife likes it as well.
View Quote

Nominated for post of the day in the taken-out-of-context category
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#29]
How much thickness does it add? Does it feel bulky? Could you show a good top and bottom shot by chance?
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#30]
IM sent FiveO.

The thickness is not that bad.  Because of the nylon construction it looks on the chunky side.  It has more of a persception feel of being heavy.
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#31]
How easy are reloads? How easy to clear malfunctions?
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How easy are reloads? How easy to clear malfunctions?
View Quote

The reloads are not that bad. Just practice and I got couple smooth ways of loading. Either I have the shotgun flipped over and have the loading gate up for a strong side reload.  Or I do with my left hand slight upward tilt of he shotgun to load from the underside.

Malfunctions.  The only mafunction I did was a jammed up the action by having another dummy round on the loading gate.  I screwed up and tried to do the motar clearance drill.  The problem was that I did I used the VFG and the off axis stress caused one of the handguard screw point break.

The owner of Bullpup Unlimited ask how I managed to break this part when I ask for help in replacing this part.  I told him what happened and I could had done it better if I just pumped the shotgun normally without the VFG in place.  It would had cleared the jam without breaking that part.

The cool thing about the phone call.  I exchange some ideas and feedback with him on stock and asked if the design was based on the Mossberg 500 bullpup. He answered it is based off that stock with improvements.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:57:07 PM EDT
[#33]
New guy here!

I was wondering if there were any mods that need to be made to the Bullpup case if using the  Hawk 981R, or vice-versa.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#34]
There may be some minor fitting issuse.  Try look on page one for the guy managed to put one in the bullpup stock.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 1:00:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, I read that, which lead me to my post. He really didn't go into detail about so I was hoping for more info. I would have sent him a PM, but he hasn't been on since Sept  ;)
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#36]
I wanted my first post on here to be a new thread, but this exists.

I also have this kit, and quite enjoy it. Even with an 18" barrel, using a red dot to shoot skeet is almost cheating.
Only down sides are no built in sights, hard to mount a sling on, and nearly impossible to get ammo on the gun.
But an ammo belt fixes one problem, cheap but effective red dots fix another. Have yet to fix the sling problem.

IMHO It's a great setup. One of the best improvements for the 870, and at nearly half the cost of a KSG. It's tactical and useful.

I still have yet to have any of the FTE that I saw so prevalent online. I believe there was some propaganda in that video...
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 9:37:55 PM EDT
[#37]
I picked up an 870 just to use this kit.  Did you get yours from Bullpup Unlimited or another vendor?  Buds has one for about $50 less but then I remembered reading that BU made some improvements to the fit and a newer more resilient polymer.  Did you have any issues with the trigger linkage?
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:50:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
New guy here!

I was wondering if there were any mods that need to be made to the Bullpup case if using the  Hawk 981R, or vice-versa.

Thanks!
View Quote

None. My brother did one with a interstate 870 clone, no problems at all.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Only down sides are no built in sights, hard to mount a sling on, and nearly impossible to get ammo on the gun.
View Quote

Why not screw one of the available multi shell holders to the side of the stock?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:36:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Why not screw one of the available multi shell holders to the side of the stock?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw a 20" 870 with a mag extension that came out past the chassis. I think you could install a sling mount on the end of mag and barrel and get a fwd mounting point there.
I have also seen shell carriers mounted on the top rail.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 12:37:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Guys,

I'm glad this thread is here.

Due to some nasty new laws here in NY, I've had to expand my horizons and gather up a deeper selection of firearms. Just bought an Interstate Arms 870 clone.

My nephew showed me a video of this kit and I was pretty interested.

Here's the thing:

Have any of you had any trouble with failures to eject/extract?

There's a Youtube vid of this kit being tested...and they experience a crazy amount of ejection problems. They then returned the 870 to its stock configuration, and there were no problems.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Guys,

Due to some nasty new laws here in NY, I've had to expand my horizons and gather up a deeper selection of firearms. Just bought an Interstate Arms 870 clone.

Here's the thing:

There's a Youtube vid of this kit being tested...and they experience a crazy amount of ejection problems. They then returned the 870 to its stock configuration, and there were no problems.

Thoughts?
View Quote

It's prone to short stroking, but it seems like a lot of bullpup shotguns are. Getting used to it and getting it broken in I am sure will help to fix this.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's prone to short stroking, but it seems like a lot of bullpup shotguns are. Getting used to it and getting it broken in I am sure will help to fix this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys,

Here's the thing:

Thoughts?

I'm new to shotguns.....

Is short stroking due to the firearm or operator error?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm new to shotguns.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys,

Here's the thing:

Thoughts?

I'm new to shotguns.....

Operator. It means they aren't working the pump hard enough. Sorta like a semi auto that isnt getting enough gas except the operator is the gas .
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Operator. It means they aren't working the pump hard enough. Sorta like a semi auto that isnt getting enough gas except the operator is the gas .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys,

Here's the thing:

Thoughts?

I'm new to shotguns.....

Yep. Operator error. However a gun can be harder or easier to pump based on the smoothness of the action.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Does anyone know if you can install a different forend like a Surefire on one of these conversion kits?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:47:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Does anyone know if you can install a different forend like a Surefire on one of these conversion kits?
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:01:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I picked up an 870 just to use this kit.  Did you get yours from Bullpup Unlimited or another vendor?  Buds has one for about $50 less but then I remembered reading that BU made some improvements to the fit and a newer more resilient polymer.  Did you have any issues with the trigger linkage?
View Quote

I went ahead and ordered from BU direct.  I figured that whatever they send me would be the latest generation, plus thus way I'll have access to tech support and a warranty without a middleman.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Got mine the other day.  Now what sling adapter will work with this thing?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Got mine the other day.  Now what sling adapter will work with this thing?
View Quote

It is hard to say which sling adapter that will work with the system.  I would ask which sling that will work with the shotgun.

The main problem is the rear mass.  For me, I am used to using 3 point slings systems.  I have not done my rear sling adaptor project for my bullpup yet.  It is not a hard thing. Just a lot of nylon and buckles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top