Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/20/2010 10:56:10 AM EDT
Bob contacted me during the summer and asked for my opinion on some aspects of his project.  He had me sign a NDA (non-disclosure agreement) before showing me anything, so I had to keep my mouth shut this whole time.  

He just mentioned from SHOT that he has shown the universe his rail.  Here's a few pics from his 3D modeling program that he sent me back in Aug09.  I'm sure we'll find out shortly if the end product is similar, and other details.

New Pics 25APR10:

Link Posted: 1/20/2010 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool.  Could this be used to mount a front sight?
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 11:10:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Cool.  Could this be used to mount a front sight?

Details to follow.
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#3]
E4 rail or STG rail height?

Any 3D images on the barrel or gun?

Any kind of ball park price figure or ETA?
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
E4 rail or STG rail height?

Any 3D images on the barrel or gun?

Any kind of ball park price figure or ETA?

My OP is about all the details I have.  We'll just have to wait for Bob.
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 12:12:09 PM EDT
[#5]
very cool now we can be just like all the ar guys....bolting tons of shit on our toys.
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 12:42:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I take it bythe pics that it will be mounted only to the barrel on the lower gas block. It's pretty nice! I think that would be nice for a long range scope and flip ups.

Interested in the weight of this tri rail.

I still love my 2020 lower rail though. It's nice and lite and doesn't really add unnessary bulk or weight.

I bet it was hard not to say anything about this critter!
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Please, please, please make sure it is short enough to allow for suppressors on 16" barrels.
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#8]
So is this the guy that was going to team up with TPD or is there a second design out there somewhere?
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I like Solidworks...
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 1/20/2010 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like Solidworks...

Me too

Nice work Bob
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I must have 2 of these for our E4! This would make the plans I have for the rifles even easier to accomplish.

Lord willing Magpul (aka the inescapable black hole of tactical stuff) will not make him an offer (ala the tri-rail for the FS2000) to sell the idea to them so that they can bury it in a time capsule for 1000 years.  

Not that I am bitter or anything...
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm curious to know the exact weight on these.
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I must have 2 of these for our E4! This would make the plans I have for the rifles even easier to accomplish.

Lord willing Magpul (aka the inescapable black hole of tactical stuff) will not make him an offer (ala the tri-rail for the FS2000) to sell the idea to them so that they can bury it in a time capsule for 1000 years.  

Not that I am bitter or anything...

That would be Bushmaster who takes fantastic ideas and shitcoats them...if they're ever released.  I'm still waiting on the Cobb with the long action magazine well...
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks Sgtlmj,

I'm at SHOT right now. MSAR and Ratworx are together and showing it in the booth with what I think is the Versapod. Dave, Allen from Ratworx and Tony Jr. have been highly complementary of the rail. Ratworx is selling the rail (very nice people), so call them while the SHOW is going on, as it may give them a better picture of demand for their first order. Customers are coming to the booth and wanting the rail right now. I will place an order tomorrow for the next run. Dave was going to post pictures last night. That didn't happen but he probably will tonight.

Answers for questions so far.

1. The drawings shown by Sgtlmj are very close to the actual product.
2. Weight is slightly less than 8 oz
3. Top rail height is lower than STG original rail and the new low E4 rail. This is on purpose.
4. Iron sights. Allen (RW) and Dave immediately went next door to Yankee Hill’s booth and together we mounted their high front and low rear folding sights and it is next to perfect in sight alignment. So, that means there will be plenty of workable iron sight combinations.
5. Suppressor. Allen with thinks it will be no problem to mount suppressors. The front of the rail is symmetrical around the barrel and ends behind the dimples on the FH at the next raised ring.    
6. Retail price is $235.
7. Kent (TPD) and I have visited a lot over the last year. We both knew what each other were doing. We never saw each other’s drawings.
8. Mounting. The rail is naturally tight around the gas block before using a set screw. There are two set screws to further tighten the rail to the gas block. There is a built in tang that one set screw is used to tighten the tang against the gas block (mid-lower side). The second set screw is vertical to the grip mount holes and extends upwards beyond those holes and places pressure to the interior of the web onto the smaller post inside the web side plates.  The threads for the set screws are of the SPIRALOCK type, reducing loosening from vibration by 10X (I’m guessing). The Spirolock thread design is perfect for this application.
9. Heat. The rail being tightly attached to the gasblock serves as a heat sink and there is a lot of heat dissipated into the rail.

And yes, the barrel comes off normally.

That’s all for now. I’ll be glad to answer any and all questions. Thanks so much for the interest.

Link Posted: 1/20/2010 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for an interesting new product. Please post some pics with the unit mounted on an E4 when you can.

Regards
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Will this fit an Aug A3?  Thanks,
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I guess the folding vert goes away huh?

I still like it so I may still wait for the E4 12" bi-level rail.
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#20]
BOB,

I know the barrel does have a very very slight amount of play as mine does. Will the tri-rail somehow tighten up to the top rail on the weapon thus keeping any type of side to side play out when using iron sights? I know it is a small amount of play but it would maybe affect front sights mounted on your tri-rail and the rear sight on the weapon.

I think your design is a very nice add on for the gaget guys!
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 10:25:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
BOB,

I know the barrel does have a very very slight amount of play as mine does. Will the tri-rail somehow tighten up to the top rail on the weapon thus keeping any type of side to side play out when using iron sights? I know it is a small amount of play but it would maybe affect front sights mounted on your tri-rail and the rear sight on the weapon.

When you say play, are you referring to the slight movement in the barrel associated with the mount of the assembly to the receiver? My unit mounts to the barrel assemly and does not touch the top rail. Has side play of the barrel assembly been an issue in the with iron sights in the firing of the rifle? I hope I'm understanding you question, if not please expand.
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not at this time, with the forward extension of the top rail almost to the end of the gasblock.

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 1:23:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BOB,

When you say play, are you referring to the slight movement in the barrel associated with the mount of the assembly to the receiver? My unit mounts to the barrel assemly and does not touch the top rail. Has side play of the barrel assembly been an issue in the with iron sights in the firing of the rifle? I hope I'm understanding you question, if not please expand.

Yes, the movement of the barrel inside of the receiver. It's just a something that goes along with the barrel being a quick change.

That is why I thought if someone mounts a flip up iron sight to the tri-rail it would be moving with the barrel. Now if you can somehow connect the tri-rail to the top rail of the STG that would take all play out of the barrel.

Now, back to my coffee....
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 3:59:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes, the movement of the barrel inside of the receiver. It's just a something that goes along with the barrel being a quick change.

That is why I thought if someone mounts a flip up iron sight to the tri-rail it would be moving with the barrel. Now if you can somehow connect the tri-rail to the top rail of the STG that would take all play out of the barrel.

Now, back to my coffee....

There isn't going to be enough play to throw things off that much.  Unless you are hooking up some NM sights and trying to shoot CMP matches with the thing, that is.  

Hooking the tri-rail up to the receiver rail would defeat the QD bbl feature.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 4:00:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at this time, with the forward extension of the top rail almost to the end of the gasblock.

Did you still need my A3 dimensions?  I've been swamped and haven't had time to sic my calipers on my rifle in a while.  That and the fact that Steyr/Sabre had my receiver for a month...
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 5:33:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure I get why it won't fit.  How about on the AXR with the short top rail pictured below?

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 5:42:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not sure I get why it won't fit.  How about on the AXR with the short top rail pictured below?

I think he said in the SHOT Show thread that it would fit the AXR.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 5:44:27 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just read that.  I was coming to edit my post.

It's hard to keep up with all of the SHOT goodness.  Thanks for the hard work on this guys I am looking forward to it.  I love my AXR but have never been quite comfortable with the forward grip.  Maybe this will give me more options.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 5:54:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just read that.  I was coming to edit my post.

It's hard to keep up with all of the SHOT goodness.  Thanks for the hard work on this guys I am looking forward to it.  I love my AXR but have never been quite comfortable with the forward grip.  Maybe this will give me more options.

I've got one of 2020's rails on my A3 right now, and the flexibility it adds on the front end is amazing.  I was fine with the factory grip until I had a little extra real estate out front for a light, etc.  I'll post pics of my setup once I get my tac light sorted out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Looks very interesting.  I look forward to pics of it mounted and some feedback.  I may have to pick of couple of these up....

Good work..
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 8:24:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Yes, to check against the ones I have. I've measured it on two different guns and I'm not 100% comfortable yet.

What I need is this:  

Rail dimensions forward from back plate  and then comparative dimensions in relationship to gasblock.

We'll compare numbers. I need to get my two sets of measurements put together when I get back home.

Also on abnother note, as of last night Steyr hadn't shown up at the show.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 8:44:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yes, to check against the ones I have. I've measured it on two different guns and I'm not 100% comfortable yet.

What I need is this:  

Rail dimensions forward from back plate  and then comparative dimensions in relationship to gasblock.

We'll compare numbers. I need to get my two sets of measurements put together when I get back home.

Also on abnother note, as of last night Steyr hadn't shown up at the show.

Roger Wilco!  

I've seen a couple pics of Steyr's stuff.  They had a ACU camo AUG, and a .338 Lapua bolt gun.  There's no one there to man the booth, or are those guns hanging out in someone else's area?
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 9:14:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The top rail for the A3 extends forward beyond the mounting plate and slightly beyond the end of the gasblock. Our rail extends rearward (toprail) to the mounting plate. That's why this version won't fit the A3.This first version is for the STG, E4, AXR and those at the booth think it will also fit the MCS.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#34]

I've seen a couple pics of Steyr's stuff.  They had a ACU camo AUG, and a .338 Lapua bolt gun.  There's no one there to man the booth, or are those guns hanging out in someone else's area?

Where else might they be? Steyr's booth number is 16558. I found the exact booth location. It is empty. The guy at the next booth, who had obviously had people asking, said that that is where they were supposed to be and that no one had shown up even acting like it was to be set up. I then went to show registration and it showed that it was their booth space and that was so. If they had changed to another location, that would have shown up on the computer. Also same story with (KBI, Dailey, Tavor, Kastner). Their booth space was now a seating area for a concession stand.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Where else might they be? Steyr's booth number is 16558. I found the exact booth location. It is empty. The guy at the next booth, who had obviously had people asking, said that that is where they were supposed to be and that no one had shown up even acting like it was to be set up. I then went to show registration and it showed that it was their booth space and that was so. If they had changed to another location, that would have shown up on the computer. Also same story with (KBI, Dailey, Tavor, Kastner). Their booth space was now a seating area for a concession stand.

Dunno.  I have the pic of the AUG posted in my SHOT thread, and there are pics and video of Steyr at the range during media day with their SSG08 and a couple AUGs for people to shoot.  Maybe they piggybacked with someone else, or have ducked out already.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#36]
That is really weird.

They do appear to have been at Media day.

Why would they pay for space and not show up?

Is it possible it was Sabre Defense who brought the AUG A3 to media day?

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
That is really weird.

Maybe, but why would they be messing around with the SSG08?  Are they working on those too?

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk47/jagdkommando/IMG_0112.jpg

Here it is, I will post more pics (and some better ones) when I have a few more minutes.  This rail is awesome.  You want one.

It looks good. It's just too much for my taste. It may have to grow on me some more. If the top rail ran a bit more flush with the top rail on the weapon I would like it more so.

Don't get me wrong I am not knocking it at all. I am VERY happy to see folks here take a leap and try new things for the AUG platform!
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Can't wait to get it on my STG.

So many different set-ups running through my head.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 1:38:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Can you still adjust the gas with that rail on???
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 2:55:44 PM EDT
[#42]
That looks pretty good, not quite as streamlined as the prototype AUG A3, but it looks like it would do the trick.

Just out of curiosity, can someone explain to me how the Steyr version attaches to the rifle?

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That looks pretty good, not quite as streamlined as the prototype AUG A3, but it looks like it would do the trick.

Just out of curiosity, can someone explain to me how the Steyr version attaches to the rifle?

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u304/artagnanjosh/mysteyr.jpg

I suspect that few if anyone here in the U.S. can tell you that since the rail never has been sold here and has only been displayed on a few prototype rifles years ago.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is really weird.

Maybe, but why would they be messing around with the SSG08?  Are they working on those too?

I just looked at some pics and they "look" like the Steyr display from last year.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Not quite as streamlined, but Bob01's rail looks like you might be able to still quick detach the barrel.  Hopefully Bob will speak up and confirm that.

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not quite as streamlined, but Bob01's rail looks like you might be able to still quick detach the barrel.  Hopefully Bob will speak up and confirm that.

Yes, Bob has already stated that you can quick detach the barrel still. That's one of things I know Bob wanted to do is give you a rail without taking away your quick change barrel capability.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 4:09:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, Bob has already stated that you can quick detach the barrel still. That's one of things I know Bob wanted to do is give you a rail without taking away your quick change barrel capability.

Badass.  He will sell quite a few of those I suspect!

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'd buy that quad-rail in a heartbeat. It's a shame that Steyr never saw it to fruition.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#49]
If Steyr offered a rail like that they'd charge $750 for it. Just like 2020's grip rail that he sells for $135; Steyr is probably releasing theirs soon for around $250.

Bobs rail allows for gas adjustment. Look at the 3D drawing.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 5:53:59 PM EDT
[#50]
never mind
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top