Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2009 3:06:32 PM EDT
Well, I had moment of weakness this afternoon after seeing a post over at KTOG.  A member stated that there was an auction ending over at Auction Arms for an RFB and it was at $1799.  I ended up winning the auction for $1906.  More than I really wanted to pay but who knows when I would get the call saying mine had arrived.  Will post pics, etc. when I receive it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2009 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Outstanding.

Link Posted: 10/14/2009 4:22:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I paid 1974.00. Prices are starting to settle down. I  understand dealer cost is just above 1100.00. They should settle in under 1400.00 I would hope.
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 4:30:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Dealer price is almost 1300 not 1100

R and R dealer price on RFB
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#4]
COST is just over 1100.00 according to my local shop but they are not in most pipe lines yet. PRICE is what ever anyone wants to charge. KELTEC MSRP is over 1800.00.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I posted this over at KTOG also..

Well I received the call that my rifle had arrived on Friday so I went and picked it up the following day with great anticipation.  It is a well crafted weapon as others have said and has a very solid feel to it.  I was busy all weekend so I didn't get to do much with it until yesterday when I finally got around to breaking it down for it's maiden clean/lube.  It was definately a new adventure as I followed the manual and dismembered it.  It is a well thought out design and I love the trigger!  Re-assembly was fairly easy until it came to inserting the rear retaining pins.  I had a similar problem as another member aligning the pieces so the pins could be re-inserted.  I could get the front pin in but the pin furthest back was a PITA.  Every time I tried to slip the grip assembly over the top cover and chamber (after aligning the holes in the two) it would move them just enough to make sliding the pin in difficult.  After several tries I sanded a piece of pencil down enough to fit in the aligned holes of the top cover and chamber.  I then slipped the grip assembly over the two, pushed the pin in and forced the pencil out.  Not ideal but it worked.  I then put the rifle up for the day as I was watching my children and they required attention more than the rifle  .  Today I wanted to try a little non live fire function testing to make sure there would be no issues when I get around to test firing it (hopefully this weekend).  I loaded up the mag which came with it to 20 rounds and attempted to load the mag with the bolt closed (just to see if it would seat properly).  As others have said it would not do so, 19 rounds yes... 20 no.  Next I locked back the bolt, inserted a full mag, and hit the bolt stop release......   , it only rode home about an inch and hung up (I think bushjockey had experienced this over at KTOG).  I gave it a firm push and it continued on it's way.  I removed the mag, racked the slide to eject the round, and did the process all over again.  Same results.  I did this once more with no improvement.  I then tried to just release the charging handle instead of using the bolt stop release and the bolt slammed home like it should.  I tried this a few times both ways and got the same results each time.  I did manage to get the bolt stop release to work once where it actually chambered a round but that was it.  I also tried two other mags to see if it was just the mag but they made no difference.  I will be calling Kel-Tec in the morning but right now I'm a little disappointed..
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:33:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Go shoot it a bit, that will probably go away. My ar did the same thing when it was brand new.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Congrats.  Looking forward to the range report...

+1
I finger banged the one my local dealer has listed on gunbroker today.
It seems like a solid rifle and I plan to get one when the price comes down.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I spoke to someone at Keltec this morning and he told me to fire it some to see if it straightens out and if not to call them back.  After getting off the phone with him I tried a different magazine and went through the drill again of locking back the bolt back, slapping in a full mag, and hitting the bolt release.  No problems, went through all 20 rounds in the mag (dropped the mag, racked the slide to clear the round, re-inserted the mag with the bolt locked back, etc. for each round) and not a hiccup.  Hopefully all is well.  I will try to squeeze off a few rounds tomorrow.  I've got a variety of ammo to try when I get the time, 147gr. Prvi, 150gr. Prvi, 165gr. Federal, 180gr. Remington, 150gr. Wolf, and a couple others.  Time will tell but I love the feel and appearance of the rifle.  I've got an Eotech on it right now that I stole off from the STG but will be getting either an Acog, Aimpoint, or the Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T in the near future (haven't made up my mind yet).
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#10]
As a word of warning, in my experience the Prvi .308 *MAY* have insufficient case neck tension, causing issues when fired in a semi-auto.  I'm a bit leery of the stuff after what I've seen, so be cautious and keep an eye out for bullet setback.
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I bought mine retail from my dealer, and I paid $1250.  I seriously doubt he was taking a loss.  

EDIT to add:  Looking at the link, that configuration isn't currently available.  Right now they're only making the carbine.  The longer barrel rifle may sell for more when they start making them.
Link Posted: 11/6/2009 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Double.  What's with this forum?
Link Posted: 11/8/2009 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Just got back from a really quick range (lawn) trip.  In one word "wow" .  What a great and fun to shoot rifle.  I have no optic on it at this point (did go to a dealer yesterday and tried the Leupold Mark 4 cq/t on it and really liked it, should have enough $ for it on Monday).  I basically wanted to dial in the gas setting and function test it.  I shot 40 rounds of 180gr. Remington Core Lokt through it with no malfunctions.  Mostly a few spurts of rapid fire.  The muzzle rise and recoil were very acceptable and sending the rounds downrange put a huge grin on my face.  I love this rifle!
Link Posted: 11/8/2009 6:20:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Wes,

Check your PM at KTOG

-John
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 5:25:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Chevy,

Could you please measure and post the overall length?
Kel-Tec says it's 26 inches and the magazine article I just read says it's 27.5 inches.
I'm getting one either way, but not before the new year and I am curious.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 6:46:02 AM EDT
[#16]
The RFB carbine is slightly over 26" with the flashhider removed so that it doesn't get into SBR territory. Add the FH & you get 27.5"...
Link Posted: 11/10/2009 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank You. Still shorter than My Para FAL with it's stock folded.
Link Posted: 11/13/2009 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Well it looks like I won't be shooting the RFB again for awhile (or deer hunt).  I got in a fairly bad accident and messed my back up (head took a beating too).  My Leupold CQ/T should arrive today so I'll try to get that mounted.  I'll try to post some pics this weekend since I'll just be lounging around on the couch.  Happy shooting all and throw a few extra rounds downrange for me .
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 6:03:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought mine retail from my dealer, and I paid $1250.  I seriously doubt he was taking a loss.  

EDIT to add:  Looking at the link, that configuration isn't currently available.  Right now they're only making the carbine.  The longer barrel rifle may sell for more when they start making them.

Where did you find a dealer willing to get it to you for 1250?  Ill give him an extra 200 if he wants to sell me one tolo!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well it looks like I won't be shooting the RFB again for awhile (or deer hunt).  I got in a fairly bad accident and messed my back up (head took a beating too).  My Leupold CQ/T should arrive today so I'll try to get that mounted.  I'll try to post some pics this weekend since I'll just be lounging around on the couch.  Happy shooting all and throw a few extra rounds downrange for me .

sorry to hear about your accident...... hope you feel better soon!
FF
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 4:34:24 PM EDT
[#21]
jumped to the end of the thread and hear about an "accident" and immediately started  thinking your RFB blew up on you...good to hear that was not the case
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Here are a couple of pictures with the Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T, feeling better today but the center of my back still hurts pretty bad....  I noticed that the very end of the neck of my spent cases are bent in some, any cause for worry.  I would like to reload eventually.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here are a couple of pictures with the Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T, feeling better today but the center of my back still hurts pretty bad....  I noticed that the very end of the neck of my spent cases are bent in some, any cause for worry.  I would like to reload eventually.

dont worry about the case mouth if it is bent in a little, it will straighten out when you re-size the brass.  not a big deal.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks, that's what I thought.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice selection with the CQT scope. A nice fit for the RFB.

I've been hearing folks are messing around with various muzzle breaks to reduce recoil.

Link Posted: 11/15/2009 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Your RFB looks amazing.  However, assuming that I ever find one in the State of Ohio, I'm not sure what optics that I'd put on top of the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/18/2009 12:09:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Three more pictures...

Link Posted: 11/18/2009 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Just found out about this thing today and i want one.
What is with the bulge at the barrel?

Also what would happen if it fired out of battery with your face right above the chamber?Is the material strong enough to prevent deadly injury?
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#29]
The bulge at the end of the barrel is a threaded portion for accessories like the quad rail that Kel-Tec will be producing in the future.  There are two layers of steel to protect the shooters head in case of incidents like you mentioned.  It's a solid rifle and fun to shoot!
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I talked to someone today that had one and he told me about the steel on top and about how awesome the trigger was for a bull pup.He claimed it feels better then some regular bolt action triggers.
Apparently he was able to sell it for 3000 dollars to someone but he does miss it and he never even shot a round.I will be getting one when they are not commanding high prices,might have to sell an ar and a shotgun but it will be worth it i am sure.
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I sold mine for 3700 on GB.....I started it at 1200 and it shot up...The prices have really come down....
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 1:08:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I received the CAA adjustable cheek piece today.  I had a stick on pad on the stock which can be purchased through Caldwell shooting but wanted to give this a try after hearing about it.   I bought it for $25 plus shipping.  I took the adjustable piece off as it can't be used as it is and then the rest itself slipped right on the stock like a glove.  It looks like it was made for it and it made the cheek weld just about perfect for the Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T.  This will be staying on the rifle and I'm glad I took the chance of it not working.  I will have to call CAA up and have them send me another cover for the other side of the cheek piece since it only comes with one.  I will try to get a better picture tomorrow if it's nice out (my camera sucks) but it looks much better in person.

Link Posted: 11/21/2009 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#33]
What's actually holding it in place?

Depending on the construction, I wonder if it might be possible to install set screws into either side to clamp onto the action cover and prevent movement.
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Just a solid looking rifle. Cheek piece looks nice.

Great outdoor pics by the way.
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks SilentType, the outdoor pics definitely look better than my indoor ones.  Currently there is nothing securing it, just a pretty snug fit.  I'm pretty sure a couple of set screws could be made to work as the plastic is thick enough on the sides....  I will probably just get some double sided adhesive once I get the cap for the other side and secure it that way.  I think that will be sufficient.  In regards to recoil I really consider it a non-factor, it's not bad at all and follow up shots are quite quick considering the caliber.  They also did a great job on the trigger, I wish my STG's was as good (still an awesome rifle as well).   I am officially hooked on bullpups thanks to MSAR and Kel-Tec.
Link Posted: 11/21/2009 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#36]
This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I talked to someone today that had one and he told me about the steel on top and about how awesome the trigger was for a bull pup.He claimed it feels better then some regular bolt action triggers.
Apparently he was able to sell it for 3000 dollars to someone but he does miss it and he never even shot a round.I will be getting one when they are not commanding high prices,might have to sell an ar and a shotgun but it will be worth it i am sure.

I noticed you are in GA. Would you be talking about Jeff G. in Bogart?

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Well I got a chance to make a quick range trip this afternoon.  I was shooting off a bench with a site vice which grips the front and rear of the rifle fairly well (still moves a decent amount when the rifle is gripped to shoot).   Keep in mind that the scope I'm using is the Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T  3x which has a 3 MOA dot on the maximum magnification (3x).  Because of this I did most of my shooting at 50 yards since at 100 the dot covered a good chunk of the target.  Unfortunately my targets are black which made it a little more difficult to shoot since the dot is black also (too bright out for the lighted reticule to show up).  

After getting the scope sighted in I tried the Prvi SP 150gr.  Here is a 4 shot group at 50 yards.  .95 inch extreme spread center to center

I next tried a 4 shot group of Remington 180gr Core-Lokt from the 50 yards.  1.5 extreme spread center to center.

Next up I fired 7 rounds of 165gr Federal Vital Shok at 50 yards.  Extreme spread of 3 inches, 1.85 inches if you take out the shot to the far left which I'm sure was my error.

I tried a 3 shot group of the 165gr Federal out at 100 yards to get a rough idea.  2 inch extreme spread center to center.

I next fired 37 rounds of rapid fire to get the barrel and scope rail heated up in an attempt to see if accuracy was affected as a result.  The rail did get heated but was not really hot.  Here is the result of a 3 shot group with Prvi 150gr fired from 50 yards right after the rapid fire.  .65 inch extreme spread.

It would seem that my rifle likes the Prvi 150gr ammo (good since that is what I have the most of).  As I said before, the scope I have chosen is not the best for precision shooting because of the max 3 power and the 3 MOA dot but I am pretty happy with the results.  I also make no claim to being a great shot but I'm sure with better optics and a better rest I could get even better results.  I will be getting some Prvi 168gr ammo to try out as well.  I also need to get some adhesive on the CAA rest I have on the stock as it rode up the stock after a few shots.

Did I mention I love this rifle
Link Posted: 11/24/2009 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#39]
I love it when the hole colors touch each other...
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Well shit, another expensive toy to save up for.
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

yup
Link Posted: 11/27/2009 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

+1

Why did I look at this thread?  I was saving up for a whole mess of suppressors... and now this...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top