Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2009 2:26:17 PM EDT
AS you may recall from this thread I sent my STG-556 in to be converted by MSAR into the E4 configuration. Today, I finally got to shoot the rifle I got back. With my AAC SPR/M4 suppressor!

First, let me say that Dave at MSAR was totally helpful and facilitated the conversion in every way, testing the gun with the new stock to make sure it worked even with the suppressor.

The new lower rail definitely makes a differance in shooting and of course, its great to be able to use AR mags. I found that USGI mags were very tight in the original stock, whereas the MSAR mags and the MAGPUL P-mags were a more reasonable fit. Dave immediately sent me an ENTIRE replacement stock which works with all mags just fine.

Of course, I had to take a video of the AUG in its new digs. There is a HUGE differance between shooting the rifle with the suppressor with the grenade launcher setting on the gas port on and off. Like shooting two differant guns. With the gas port off, obviously, I had to work the bolt each time, but the placememnt of the AUG charging handle means I could keep my shooting grip on the gun and keep up a good pace of fire. I couldn't shoot any faster with a normal bolt gun, in other words. With the gas turned on, obviously the gun fired on semi.

The only trouble shooting the AUG with a suppressor is the ejection port being next to your face. Its inevitable that even with the best suppressor, you still get some gas in the face. With the gas port venting some, you'll also get slightly more noise then an AR... but it really isnt all that bad. STill way better then shooting the gun unsuppressed.

Anyway... video!  If the video doesnt work, check the following link.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I_ZP1VXV6E

Link Posted: 9/5/2009 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the sound in the video a fairly good representation of the difference between the AR and the AUG?

I know sometimes it depends on the camara.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 2:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems like there would be a way to do a special gas setting between the GR and the S for use with a suppressor?

Link Posted: 9/5/2009 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Seems like there would be a way to do a special gas setting between the GR and the S for use with a suppressor?

Ya know, I have thought that several times. But I'm guessing that MSAR is holding all their cookies for their suppressor barrel assembly. If it doesnt turn out to be vapourware.

On the other hand, there are so many differant manufactures of suppressor out there, which one would drill the hole for?  I mean, if you have a suppressor of a certain internal volume that is differant then the one you drilled the hole for, then you would get failures to cycle or you'd get too much gas in the system.  If I had a spare gas block, I might experiment.

To answer the previous poster's question, the video is reasonably close to the sound you hear. You're getting some reflection from the hillside surrounding and in front of the shooting area, so the fidelity isnt 100%.  With the gas turned off, the AUG is quieter then the AR. With the gas turned on, a bit louder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top