Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/15/2009 5:16:51 AM EDT
bishopm14 referenced these in the AUG release date thread.  Thanks bishop! I linked them there, but here as well for those that haven't been following that thread four pages in; figured it might be easier to see in a new one.

For more, go this page and scroll down about a third of the way.  I've saved them to my drive in case they get taken down.

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#1]
So this is it?

I feel so underwhelmed...I just ain't blown away by it.
Especially for what...$2295 with no BUIS or optic?

It makes the SCAR MSRP seem not so outragous.

I am glad to see that at least one exists...I don't like it enough to get rid of my MSAR but I won't dog it either.

I'm just glad yet another gun maker is offering us more options.

Congrats to all who are still waiting.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice!  Glad to see some pictures of the actual gun.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 7:56:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Trust you get a great gun. Its what has been tested by our special forces and been found very reliable- not the heavy, illbalanced, multirail A3.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 8:17:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I THINK I WILL STAY WITH MY STG-556 ALSO.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the pics and the Link.  Does that rail look tack-welded on to anyone?  Underwhelmed and glad I've got an AXR on the way.

I like the Colt offerings, especially the Delta Elite!  About time they brought that back.  I also like the new Crimson Trace for Glocks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmm, it does not appear that the new AUG does anything that my STG-556 doesn't do cheaper and lighter.  

In fact, I have to say that IMHO the STG-556 bolt release is superior in design.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Spiffy, but it would have been much cooler if it had come out pre-MSAR.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Nothing else but Steyr Arms Inc. Aug A3 stamped on the side of the reciever.

No one else can do that.

Without a doubt, this assures,,,,,,,

Reliability, Investment, and Re-sale Value.

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:56:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I guess for those of you who don't want them, more for those of us who do
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the look of the receiver it looks very nice.

Sort of wish they had done more to the stock, pistol grip, and VFG to update it a bit as MSAR has done.

Charging handle looks REALLY nice. Like to have a better picture of it though still. Nice thing about the Steyr AUG A3 is that it WILL have a forward assist, which MSAR STG Gen IV's do not have.

Barrel looks nice from the exterior anyways.

Like the Flash Suppressor (Jagdkommando style).

Would have been nice to see them do some QD sling points like MSAR.

Not sure how well a single point sling will fit.

Would like to see picture of her field stripped and take a look at the hammer pack and see the inside of that barrel. Also like to see the bolt group.

Defintely like the top rail though, maybe be cooler if it had the end with a slot to pass through a single point sling set-up though?

Also like the side rail although it would be nice to see it a bit longer.

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No one else can do that.

They can't even "assure" a delivery date.

At $2295, no optic and the need for mags....that assures...FN SCAR, Sig Classic or something else instead for me.

I am glad to see the A3 eventually becoming available though.

More guns is good.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No one else can do that.

You are 100% correct!!

If Obama does ban guns will the other companies still be around to provide spare parts????

Steyr will be!!!

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one else can do that.

You are 100% correct!!

If Obama does ban guns will the other companies still be around to provide spare parts????

Steyr will be!!!

Lets get some A3's out on  the street before you start heralding their parts availability.

At the reported 100 guns per month they'd better hurry if indeed a ban is on the horizon.

Besides i don't see any companies folding even if there is another ban.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Well....um, it is a real AUG... but ah, it just kind of leaves me numb..   Not really sure why.  Feel kind of disappointed. Will stick with my MSAR.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one else can do that.

You are 100% correct!!

Steyr will be!!!

Lets get some A3's out on  the street before you start heralding their parts availability.

At the reported 100 guns per month they'd better hurry if indeed a ban is on the horizon.

Its 100 guns a weeks not 100 a month.

How many you think Microtech or TPD builds weekly????

I'm not saying they will fold, all I'm saying is will they continue to invest funds just to stock parts for their guns??

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one else can do that.

You are 100% correct!!

Steyr will be!!!

I'm not saying they will fold, all I'm saying is will they continue to invest funds just to stock parts for their guns??

I hope you are correct sir.  I was understanding that they were releasing 100 guns initially and then 1000 after sometime in June.

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one else can do that.

You are 100% correct!!

Steyr will be!!!

I got my info here 1 post on this thread.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=43&t=261518&page=4

It seems someone spoke to Styer about this and it the first batch is only 100 guns then only 1000 between then and June.
They'll never catch up to MSAR or TDP at that rate not to mention the initial price gouging that will take place once they do become available.

Where did you get your info?

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one else can do that.

You are 100% correct!!

Steyr will be!!!

I'm sorry..... Microtech has been making knives for years, doubt they're going out of business anytime soon.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one else can do that.

You are 100% correct!!

Steyr will be!!!

I'm sorry..... Microtech has been making knives for years, doubt they're going out of business anytime soon.

Sir, where did you read that I said Microtech was going out of business?

Are you a
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Not what I was hoping for.  The only thing I prefer on it over the STG is the side rail but I agree that it is too short.  I'll stay on the list though in case I change my mind and can come up with the funds.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 1:59:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one else can do that.

You are 100% correct!!

Steyr will be!!!

Are you a

You said Steyr will be, implying that MSAR won't be. That's how I interpreted it, maybe it's not what you meant, but it can be easily iterpreted that way. I can assure you that MSAR will be around for a very long time

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I sent my H&K knife back into Heckler & Koch because it was failing to lock correctly.

HK Customer service sent it back unrepaired claiming that they no longer stocked parts or could service it.

The Knife was purchased back when the USP pistols first came out.

H&K is still in business  

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 2:36:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one else can do that.

You are 100% correct!!

Steyr will be!!!

Are you a

You said Steyr will be, implying that MSAR won't be. That's how I interpreted it, maybe it's not what you meant, but it can be easily iterpreted that way. I can assure you that MSAR will be around for a very long time

+1 looks like myself and others understood what you were implying, even if you didnt have a clue..........soooo
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I love how everyone bases their selection of a rifle based on their ability to forcast the restrictions set forth in the next law that restricts the sale of semi-automatic rifles.

Any rifle you purchase now you should have a plan in place that fits your budget to acquire parts and magazines before the next AWB not afterwards. You should have in the case of an AUG rifle at least an extra hammer pack.

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll be sticking with my MSAR and maybe even looking for a second...

Sorry, but that top rail is just plain ugly and cheap looking.  The side rail would/should have been longer, but I guess that they needed a nice place to stamp their name.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 2:57:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I hope all you haters take your names off the list I can't believe how many people are talking shit about Steyr. Just remember your STG's wouldn't be around if it wasn't for Steyr who made the rifle that MSAR copied.

And don't get me wrong, I have nothing against MSAR, I might buy one in the meantime.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 3:04:11 PM EDT
[#27]
WOW!
Member bearclaw jsut posted this on the other thread.

"Plenty of AUGs at the show and the fit and finish felt great to me. Apparently Sabre made about 5 for the show and are tooling up now to start the initial production run early next week. So us getting them by shot show turned into Steyr getting them and we should get them best case last week of Feb or worst case first week of March.

Personally, it was a well built firearm in my opinion. Having not shot it yet I can't say more than that and while I can't wait till we get them in, I would rather have them being built right than fast.

"

Looks like you guys are in for a longer wait than originally thought.

Much longer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
WOW!
Member bearclaw jsut posted this on the other thread.

"Plenty of AUGs at the show and the fit and finish felt great to me. Apparently Sabre made about 5 for the show and are tooling up now to start the initial production run early next week. So us getting them by shot show turned into Steyr getting them and we should get them best case last week of Feb or worst case first week of March.

Personally, it was a well built firearm in my opinion. Having not shot it yet I can't say more than that and while I can't wait till we get them in, I would rather have them being built right than fast.

"

Looks like you guys are in for a longer wait than originally thought.

Much longer.

Thats the best post ever........ plenty of AUGS = 5
Those waiting are doomed!
Has anyone confirmed 100 per week or 100 per month to be built?
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'll be sticking with my MSAR and maybe even looking for a second...

Sorry, but that top rail is just plain ugly and cheap looking.  The side rail would/should have been longer, but I guess that they needed a nice place to stamp their name.

I like the top rail, but it could have been done better.

I really wanted that QUAD RAIL.

Looks like MSAR and Steyr have given the big middle finger to those of us that want more rail space.
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I'll be sticking with my MSARs....
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#32]
that thing have a bolt release?
Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:22:33 PM EDT
[#33]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k508P6rmlQ

Video of the Steyr AUG being fired.

Link Posted: 1/15/2009 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Been looking at pictures of the Steyr/Sabre AUG A3 and comparing them with the Steyr Mannlicher "prototype A3's" shown at SHOT 08'.

The receiver is defintely nicer.

However, the top rail is more simple and crude with the production Steyr/Sabre AUG A3.

If you look at the side walls of the top optic rail of the new Steyr it's recessed in a bit and the protoype (the ones with the quad rails) didn't have a top rail like they they had one where the side walls came up flush with the rails. The prototype top optic rail also looked nicer with sort of a channel cut into the center of the top optic rail that made it look a lot sharper in my opinion.

Steyr must have opted against using the "prototype" top rail in favor of using this more simple and probably easier/cheaper to produce top rail we see at this SHOT. Although it could have been a weight issue, but I don't think that the prototype rail was that much more really in terms of heft.

Link Posted: 1/16/2009 2:32:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Good video!

Hopefully MSAR will bring their prices down on their cast copy and will have a working sales market below the Steyr.

This will undoubtedly help during Steyrs first run if low production numbers play out to be true.

X-Box craziness we don't need!  
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 4:35:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Is the rail removable?  Is there any possibility that Steyr will ever offer the AUG A2 again in the US or offer the optic for sale?

Can an A2 style removable optic be installed on this gun?
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 6:46:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k508P6rmlQ

Video of the Steyr AUG being fired.

Have the AUGs always ejected the cases to the back? They look like they're going just over his right shoulder.

I don't remember where my MSAR ejects but I could swear they go forward to the right a little.

Just curious...no big deal really.

Link Posted: 1/16/2009 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#38]
We have been waiting a long time for the AUG, but still look how long people waited for the MSAR, and then had to send a lot of the early ones back because of problems.  Don't get me wrong, MSAR has a nice product now, but it took how many generations to get thier clone up to standards?  Hopefully styer will meet the high quality expectations people have for them and the wait will be worth it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#39]
+1 Lonerunner1
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 8:28:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Have the AUGs always ejected the cases to the back? They look like they're going just over his right shoulder.

I don't remember where my MSAR ejects but I could swear they go forward to the right a little.

I had observed this myself in the video.

The MSAR that I had owned was never consistent where it tossed its spent cases.

I believe this may be attributed to an article that I had read some time back that Steyr uses Constant force tension springs in their magazines.

This  same type of spring is used quite a bit in the automotive field.

Maybe it was borrowed from the Engineers at the old Steyr Auto Division.

Link Posted: 1/16/2009 9:08:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had observed this myself in the video.

The MSAR that I had owned was never consistent where it tossed its spent cases.

I believe this may be attributed to an article that I had read some time back that Steyr uses Constant force tension springs in their magazines.

This  same type of spring is used quite a bit in the automotive field.

Maybe it was borrowed from the Engineers at the old Steyr Auto Division.

I never realized that the magazine played any part in the spent case ejection process, in fact I don't see how it would but ok.

Link Posted: 1/16/2009 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Pressure on each cartridge that is coming up for its turn to be taken by the bolt and carrier.

The more consistent it is upon release of the cartridge from the magazine lips, the more consistent you’re cycling speed of the bolt carrier.

Speed inconsistent, then you may see this relationship with the spent case in distance and pattern.

A well tuned extractor plays a part too.

Link Posted: 1/16/2009 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#43]
If I am presented the opportunity and have the funds or means to raise the funds to purchase this rifle, I will do so.  I will definitely do so.
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Pressure on each cartridge that is coming up for its turn to be taken by the bolt and carrier.

The more consistent it is upon release of the cartridge from the magazine lips, the more consistent you’re cycling speed of the bolt carrier.

Speed inconsistent, then you may see this relationship with the spent case in distance and pattern.

A well tuned extractor plays a part too.

That may help explain cycling speed of the bolt and carrier but I really don't see how that affects angle of ejection which is what I was asking about.

So is the AUG supposed to toss spent cases behind you or is this something new or different?

Most auto rifles I've fired always toss forward to the right some.

I'm just curious.

Link Posted: 1/16/2009 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If I am presented the opportunity and have the funds or means to raise the funds to purchase this rifle, I will do so.  I will definitely do so.

+1

I believe if you buy a new USAAUG, it will be worth more than you paid for it in 5 years even if you shoot the piss out of it.

(If only we could buy an auto, drive it for 5 years and get more than we paid!)

You can also hate Steyr for ignoring us for so long and sit back an watch.

Anyone who says that the new Aug is too expensive now will be taking that statement back in the future when the price goes up every single year.

Link Posted: 1/16/2009 11:34:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Nothing new with the spent cases being ejected to the rear like that with the AUG.

Steyr didn't ignore the U.S. civilian market.

Steyr was forced out of the U.S. civilian market in regards to their AUG, but have continued to maintain a presence with various bolt action rifles and pistols.

Remember that the AWB also made it impossible to produce a "AUG" rifle in the USA until it sunset in 2004. Steyr changed ownership in 2006 two years after the sunset of the AWB and was absent from SHOT 07' as they transitioned to that new ownership. In the last two years Steyr has expanded their U.S. presence by hiring more employees for warranty service and re-located their U.S. Steyr Arms office to a larger facility. Steyr Arms updated and improved their website and this year they will be able to bring their AUG to civilian market.  Now being able to put together the contract and deal with Sabre to produce the U.S. parts took Steyr some time to do folks.

I would DEFINTELY not say that Steyr is to blame at all for being unable to bring the AUG back to market until now and I think they should be commended for their effort. Importing firearms and parts into this nation is no easy task and certainly will continue to be increasingly difficult under the incoming Obama administration.

Link Posted: 1/16/2009 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Sure, Steyr has had their other models in the US, though, we have sounded off on deaf ears with the Aug for quite a while.

Not that the MSAR will be much competition to the original, I am willing to bet they played a part in them getting off of their duffs this time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2009 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not that the MSAR will be much competition to the original, I am willing to bet they played a part in them getting off of their duffs this time.

Huh?!

Right now Steyr is no competition to anybody especially MSAR and from the looks of it MSAR offers and will offer more options in stock type, optics, rails and finishes to the consumer with constant upgrades and factory support.

If FN can now bring us PS90's and FS2000's then Steyr has no real importation excuses anymore.

Link Posted: 1/16/2009 3:33:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sure, Steyr has had their other models in the US, though, we have sounded off on deaf ears with the Aug for quite a while.

I doubt the guys in Austria really even know what MSAR is.

They've been looking for a way to bring the AUG back since about 2006, which is just two years after the AWB sunset. I remember they had the AUG A3 "prototype" on display at SHOT 06' and at the NRA Convention that year and folks were talking about it. That probably means they actually started to think about back in 2005, but remember during that time the previous ownership was toying with the idea of taking A3 production and slapping it all in Malaysia. Thank God that deal fell through as I think the quality of the Steyr AUG would have suffered. Folks in Austria are in some cases 4th or 5th Gen folks.

These things don't happen overnight. Large companies like Steyr don't exactly turn on a dime folks. They've got things going on at a international scale.

I think MSAR will be competition for them, because frankly they're not offering a whole lot for the price difference right now. Steyr needs to come out with their new STANAG A3 stocks (type that take the bolt release botton).

I think if MSAR comes out with more rail options and outdoes Steyr in that respect and continues to beat them out by a $500 price difference they're going to be competitive. Bullpup world is pretty big and growing now. Tons of folks at this very website are purchasing STG's.  I think it's going to be like AR's, but instead of Colt and Bushmaster we'll have Steyr and MSAR.

The company that is in REAL trouble now is TPD USA. If they don't do something to set themselves apart from the Steyr by either providing more features or lowering their price they are toast once Steyr's availability matches their own.

Link Posted: 1/16/2009 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:Huh?!

Right now Steyr is no competition to anybody especially MSAR and from the looks of it MSAR offers and will offer more options in stock type, optics, rails and finishes to the consumer with constant upgrades and factory support.

If FN can now bring us PS90's and FS2000's then Steyr has no real importation excuses anymore.

News Flash AK Joe.

Steyr AUG was banned by NAME in 1989 and the USR again in 1992.

The only reason FNH USA is allowed to import the PS90 and FS2000 is they don't have the evil banned cosmetic features and haven't yet been added to the import ban list (that's going to change for damn certain once Eric Holder is AG).

Why do you think that Steyr went to the trouble to contract with Sabre to do parts here?

If not for the import restrictions Steyr could easily have built this rifle in Austria with their hands tied behind their balls and blindfolded. Instead they had to get the receiver and barrel made by Sabre and import the parts they could from Austria.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top