Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2013 3:56:54 AM EDT
I know according to all the data, trim length is 1.75. What do you guys use as a min and max  for case length
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 4:04:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll go as low as 1.748 and high as 1.752, keep em' there most the time.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Accidentally over trimmed around 100 cases to 1.73". Kept them segregated until they "grew" back to 1.74"

My normal trim to length is 1.745". This gives me an extra firing before needing to trim again. Have not

noticed any difference in accuracy or velocity. But then again I'm not shooting for MOA at 300yds,

satisfied with 2" groups @ 100yds or 3" at 200yds using irons. Pressures might be a little higher

than a similar load in a 1.75" or 1.76" case, but nothing I've noticed. Having enough neck to give

proper tension is the number one factor.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 5:05:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I trim to 1.75 after every firing.  1000 brass might only take me an hour and a half, so I do it every time.  Most if not all of the brass is still well within saami spec but it would be my luck I get one thats grown too much and I have a jam or worse during a match.  I figure with as much time, effort and $$ it takes to shoot accurately, I might as well not take any shortcuts.

Can you get away with not trimming every time.  Most definitely.  I am just too ocd lol.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#4]
1.750" +/- .003
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 6:02:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I start at 1.74 (.02 under max) for my X-dies.  I use a wilson case gauge every 50 or so cases to check fit
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 6:25:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Set the Giraud to 1.75" and I only spot check it every few thousand cases.  I don't have time to measure cases in the volumes I'm loading.  That's nuts.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 6:26:20 AM EDT
[#7]
My max is THE max. If I have just sized lets say 50 once fired cases for my .308 and all come in under or at max then I use them.

I don't get very many short ones. My old worn Lee rod got down to 1.742" (.223) so I replaced it. I just sized 350 LC-11's that were trimmed with the old short rod. This was their 1st resizing since being trimmed. All were still around 1.746" I'll probably get at least one more cycle with these before needing trimmed maybe more.

This brass is dedicated to one rifle. It's a 1 in 7 PSA 20" standard chrome lined 5.56 upper on a parts built lower. I have targets that were shot during load development at 50 yards using a carry handle scope mount that have 5 round groups that you can cover with a nickel.

BTW: SAMMI low for .223/5.56 is 1.730" I think its rare to find it this low though unless done by mistake. I also think consistency in length from one case to the next is more important to accuracy (especially if crimping) than weather your brass is all 1.750" or 1.745" or whatever. How much real world difference it makes is yet another thing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 9:12:33 AM EDT
[#8]
My Dillon RT 1200 is set to 1.752". Never had an issue!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Set the Giraud to 1.75" and I only spot check it every few thousand cases.  I don't have time to measure cases in the volumes I'm loading.  That's nuts.

Sir, FWIW I too use a Giraud trimmer but I trim each case to 1.758".  I trim all cases each time I prep them for reload that way I always know they're all as close to the same length as I can make them.  I used to use a Dillon RT1200 but sold it on the EE when I bought the Giraud.  I used the Dillon for many years before the Giraud came on the market, but eventually decided the Giraud was worth the cost due to the champfer feature which facilitates seating VLDs slightly better than the hand held champfer tools.  JMHO, 7zero1 out.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir, FWIW I too use a Giraud trimmer but I trim each case to 1.758".

The local Riflesmith (bolt gun guy) was suggesting I trim to a longer case length for more consistent neck tension due to more sureface area of the neck holding the bullet.  

Makes sense. I'm just nuts about changing settings on stuff.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
1.750" +/- .003

Don't think so. Most certain it's 1.76 - .03
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir, FWIW I too use a Giraud trimmer but I trim each case to 1.758".

The local Riflesmith (bolt gun guy) was suggesting I trim to a longer case length for more consistent neck tension due to more sureface area of the neck holding the bullet.  

Makes sense. I'm just nuts about changing settings on stuff.

Sir, consistent neck tension is my goal for most of the case prep steps I do including trimming.  FWIW, I use the Giraud trimmer for three other cartridges so resetting the case holder for the .223 Rem cases is necessary when ever I change the trimmer from another cartridge.  7zero1 out.

Link Posted: 7/1/2013 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sir, consistent neck tension is my goal for most of the case prep steps I do including trimming.  FWIW, I use the Giraud trimmer for three other cartridges so resetting the case holder for the .223 Rem cases is necessary when ever I change the trimmer from another cartridge.  7zero1 out.

What parts do you need to switch over to say... .308 brass?  I've always just run my L.E. Wilson for .308 since my .223 is much higher volume.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What parts do you need to switch over to say... .308 brass?  I've always just run my L.E. Wilson for .308 since my .223 is much higher volume.

Sir, IRT your question I use different cutter heads for different caliber, ie:  .30cal, 260, .223 etc.  The case holder for .308 is a different shoulder angle than .30-06 so I change the case holder for each different cartridge I trim.  Resetting the trim length when changing case holders is really pretty simple especially if you use different cutter heads so you don't have to reset the cutter blade for each caliber.  HTH, 7zero1.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
1.750" +/- .003

Don't think so. Most certain it's 1.76 - .03

The question OP asked was "What do you guys use as a min and max for case length"

That is my standard for trimming.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Maximum case length in every reloading manual I've seen is 1.760".   I'd say, its best to stay right at that.  Bullet companies/powder companies/reloading manual producing companies are a little law suit shy, so I think what they publish is kinda right on.   Just MY way of thinkin  
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I've shot FC brass as short as 1.737 & won't shoot anything over 1.753.

Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Maximum case length in every reloading manual I've seen is 1.760".   I'd say, its best to stay right at that.  Bullet companies/powder companies/reloading manual producing companies are a little law suit shy, so I think what they publish is kinda right on.   Just MY way of thinkin  [/quote

This would work but everything has a degree of in-accuracy.

So if you set your trimmer for 1.760" I guarantee some would come out over that. This is why the published recommended trim length is 1.750"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top