Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/8/2013 7:13:05 AM EDT
Since subsonic ammo is a bit pricey I was wondering how difficult it is to create your own.  I do know a person who has been reloading for a very long time and is pretty knowledgeable about the art.  However, subsonic ammo isn't something he has done before since he has no suppressors.   I would like to have some to shoot through mine though for plinking purposes.   How would I go about making such ammo?  Does anyone have a recipes or has anyone else had success attempting this?
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a can comming in the next month or so & was looking to do the same thing. Here is a site I was checking out - http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Note - a subsonic 223/556 is basically a 22LR.  Dont expect it to cycle your bolt.

Here is what I was going to reload once I find some trail boss.

Cartridge:  223 Remington
Load Type:  Rifle
Starting Loads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maximum Loads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure      

55 GR. HDY FMJ  IMR  Trail Boss  .224"  2.200"        4.0  1074    
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
look in the older pages, this topic is listed...

people using clays, titegroup, and i think trail boss
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've got a can comming in the next month or so & was looking to do the same thing. Here is a site I was checking out - http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Note - a subsonic 223/556 is basically a 22LR.  Dont expect it to cycle your bolt.

Here is what I was going to reload once I find some trail boss.

Cartridge:  223 Remington
Load Type:  Rifle
Starting Loads

Maximum Loads

Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure      

55 GR. HDY FMJ  IMR  Trail Boss  .224"  2.200"        4.0  1074    

I use this very load. It works well, hard to double charge the case due to the loft of the powder kernels in Trail Boss, but it is very dirty. Accuracy drops off sharply- out of MY gun- after about 50'.
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I use 3.2 grains of winchester 231 pistol powder and 55 grain bullet. col 2.200 and not sure if subsonic but pretty quit and it will drop squirrels out of the trees out to about 50 yards if they will hold still long enough. The same load with Hodgen titgroup powder works real well also. These loads won't cycle the bolt but oh well they are fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top