Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2013 12:13:25 PM EDT
I picked up some 155grn lead rn's for 40 s&w (couldn't find any 180's anywhere).  I ran some of the first batch over a chrono and they were averaging about 950 fps.  Is this too fast?  Too fast meaning I'm going to cause excessive leading in the barrel.  My 180's are usually about 800 fps and never a leading problem...

Thanks

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You have all the information already. Was it to fast? I don't know. Did it Blow up the gun? Did it group well enough to meet your needs? Did it lead the barrel? You are the only person that can answer your questions.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#2]
lead bullets are great if you keep them under 1000 fps and if you want to go faster fps put gas checks on them if you roll your own or buy them that way.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
There wasn't any noticeable leading but I only fired 25 rounds or so.

There's a "rule of thumb" out there somewhere, I just can't remember it.

Thx

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

lead bullets are great if you keep them under 1000 fps and if you want to go faster fps put gas checks on them if you roll your own or buy them that way.

OK, thanks.  It's plenty fast for me and functions well.  No gas checks used.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I picked up some 155grn lead rn's for 40 s&w (couldn't find any 180's anywhere).  I ran some of the first batch over a chrono and they were averaging about 950 fps.  Is this too fast?  Too fast meaning I'm going to cause excessive leading in the barrel.  My 180's are usually about 800 fps and never a leading problem...

Thanks

Depends on how hard they are and if they are the correct diameter.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Depends on how hard they are and if they are the correct diameter.

.401 on all I measured.  No way to measure hardness that I know of -- is there a "home brew" hardness test?

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks

I shoot home cast Wheel weight 40 cal bullets at 1200-1250fps out of my 10 MM's without any leading issues.  It's not about speed, it's about fit and lube.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I shoot water dropped 50/50 WW/Pb in my .40 to 1050 with no issues.  At this low Sb level, I'm not sure water dropping does much though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 5:39:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I shoot home cast Wheel weight 40 cal bullets at 1200-1250fps out of my 10 MM's without any leading issues.  It's not about speed, it's about fit and lube.

This. Pressure and duration. (How hard is the powder pushing and for how long is the spike in pressure.) Lead likes to be accelerated slowly and for a longer amount of time, which usually goes hand in hand. Bullet skidding is mostly from the bullet not fitting well and being pushed too fast over the riflings. Lube is always good.

Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no majic number.

In my experience I have observed the folowing

A barrel with any jacket material in it will tend to shread lead bullets. Start with a nice clean barrel (with stinky copper solvent)

Hardness of the bullet should be matched to the use . Most commercial cast lead bullets are too hard because customers insist on it.
Many of the hard bullets out there only shine when you push them fairly hard like in a 44 mag

Another decideing factor is the smoothness of the barrel and how the rifeling is cut. I have some fairly warm 44 mag loads that work very well in my S&W revolvers and my Marlin cowboy (cut ballard rifeling,not micro-groove). These are plain base commercial cast bullets, no gas check.
These same loads are horrible in my Ruger Blackhawk . Not sure if it is the smoothness of the barrel or just the way it is cut but it doesn't like these loads.

The powder selection is another variable. Two loads with different powders pushing the same bullet at the same velocity can be different in how they lead things up.Has to due with flame tempeture behind the bullet and also different presure curves that can affect how the bullet seals

Short answer is your load seems resonable- try it and see

I avoid gas check bullets in most cases, they add expence and are a pain to work with if you are casting
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top