Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2011 12:13:03 PM EDT
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but my search turned up nothing.

I'm fairly new to reloading (I've been loading for my Beowulf for a litte over a year) and getting started loading for my .223.

How much crimp is the right amount for .223 using the Lee Factory crimp die?   What are you guys method of setting it up and measuring the right amount of crimp.

The bullet I'm working with is the Barnes 62gr TSX and LC06 brass, if if matters.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I use zero
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Just a little kiss, if any.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Barely any.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Very light.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're attempting to achieve anything other that dimensional uniformity you're wasting your time!
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Look at the FCD in the press without a round in the shell holder.  Take note of the spacing between the metal leafs.  Put a round in the shell holder and run the round up until the leaf gap is reduced by half.

Link Posted: 2/5/2011 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Would some of you be so kind so post a pic or two for us newbs to show us what a proper crip looks like?
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 5:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Look at the FCD in the press without a round in the shell holder.  Take note of the spacing between the metal leafs.  Put a round in the shell holder and run the round up until the leaf gap is reduced by half.  

Pics?
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 6:37:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the pics.    The are very helpful.    I now know what to look for in a proper crimp.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 4:02:56 AM EDT
[#11]
none
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 5:00:19 AM EDT
[#12]
The most accurate way to judge is to use a pair of dial calipers.  Most that crimp use a very light crimp that change the total diameter by only 2-3 thousands.  Best way is to measure first before you start, turn the crimp in very slowly and crimp, repeat until you get the above reduction in diameter.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 8:40:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What happens if you over do it?

You make a cannulure on a bullet that didn't have one

Brett

Not exactly true. The FCD for rifle Crimps in the same axis as the bullet.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 9:04:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What happens if you over do it?

You make a cannulure on a bullet that didn't have one

Brett

Not exactly true. The FCD for rifle Crimps in the same axis as the bullet.

Over crimping with do a number of things.  One is it will deform your bullet which may affect flight characteristics.  Not so important for a close range pistol round but I would think more important for match rounds.  The other thing it will do is to increase chamber pressure as the brass will hold on to the bullet more.  How much depends on the degree of crimp and usually is anybody's guess.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I shoot a lot of reloaded .223 in NRA High Power/Service Rifle, and in practice each weekend in between matches.

I use my Lee FCD to fill an empty slot in a die box.

Proper neck tension is all you need, even in rapid fire.

But everybody's needs are different. If I were reloading ammo for the day when aliens invade, which will be further complicated by millions of zombies rising from the grave, I would crimp everything and use primer sealer on primer pockets and inside the necks.

Maybe that's what I'm saving the Lee FCD for.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#18]
@DryFlash,

How much would you recommend crimping for a bullet without cannelure?
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 10:39:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The most accurate way to judge is to use a pair of dial calipers.  Most that crimp use a very light crimp that change the total diameter by only 2-3 thousands.  Best way is to measure first before you start, turn the crimp in very slowly and crimp, repeat until you get the above reduction in diameter.

What should the diameter be prior to seating the bullet? And what's good for after a crimp?
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I made some measurement of this before but don't have those numbers anymore, but since the bullet is 224" in diameter, it will be slightly wider due to the contribution by the casing's neck.  

For the purpose of this discussion anyway, what is important is that you make a mark on the tip of the neck area that you will make the initial measurements (just in case of uneven case neck thickness) and measure that spot 3-4 times to make sure that you can get a reliable and reproducible diameter.  

From there on, you slowly turn down the die and start crimping until you start to get a mark on the neck and a reduction in neck diameter.  You should be able to both feel when the die starts to crimp and a mark will show up on the neck (see fain band in the 30-30 rounds in the photo dryflash3 posted).  A decrease in 2-3 thousands does not take a lot of dialing on the die so go slow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top