Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2011 12:33:46 PM EDT
the 2 cartridges that seem,IMHO,to have the lowest return on savings are the 9mm and 556.   I reload the 9mm because I can use lead,which I can not do for the 5.56

so do you load the 5.56 because it save s money,or for more accurate loads?
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
the 2 cartridges that seem,IMHO,to have the lowest return on savings are the 9mm and 556.   I reload the 9mm because I can use lead,which I can not do for the 5.56

yes

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Reloading to save money is a dead end. Tell you why .The drive for accuracy is a passion. A passion that has little regard for cost. Reloading to save money has very little regard for quality components because of cost and even less regard for prep work for time concerns.  If pulling the trigger and making a lot of noise with little thought to where that bullet lands on paper is your thing. So be it. Blast away. I use some Armscor for .223 in 62 grain and 55 grain. It's loaded with much the same care as my precision stuff. Meaning I still have expectations in performance. Same thing with 9mm.... Truth be told there is a lot of us who would load .22lr if possible.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a spread sheet with the math on it. Not counting my time its about half priced to reload 223/556. Case prep takes time. And yes a little more accurate.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#4]
You can buy steel case ammo for about the same price you can load plinking ammo. What you load will be more accurate but you won't save much and you have your time invested. For accuracy reloading is the wat to go. You can reload match grade ammo for just a bit more than plinking ammo it just takes a little more time. If you casually blast through a few hundred rounds reloading is probaly not for you, but if want accurate ammo for target shooting or hunting then reloading is the way to go unless you have a lot of money and very little free time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Both!
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I load, maybe, 500~1000 rounds per year of cheap 55gr FMJ 223 using TAC for plinking purposes in the AR.  Typically I use range brass that has been culled from my super anal brass sorting process.  

The main reason I load 223 is for my Savage 110FP. I have one pet load for that application. With the amount of time I have invested in sorting/prepping brass, weighing powder, and measuring this, that, or the other for this load I doubt a save a whole lot.  But, reloading is still a hobby to me, not a chore, so I guess in theory I am saving money.  I also shoot this same load in my AR occassionally as it is accurate in that platform as well.

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Mostly to save money.
Lately I have been shooting steel up close with frangible ammo that I make which is quite a bit cheaper than buying.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I need to downgrade my hand size.....reloading 556 is tedious as hell
give me some .308 cartridges and im a happy camper
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:02:04 PM EDT
[#10]
For me, it's economy.

I'm using components that I bought over 10 years ago.

bullets were $25/1000
primers were $15/ 1000
powder was $68/ 8 lb jug

Using range pickup brass or one of the 1000's of 1x and 2x fired brass, I'm spending about 8- 9 cents/ round.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Both.

I reload 9mm for the same two reasons as well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Right now for blasting ammo. However it has become more accurate with my load developments.

Justin
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I am relatively new to reloading... But I initially got into relaoding to save money...

I can reload a hundred FMJ for ~$15

But I can reload a hundred Hornady Varmint PSP for about ~$20 or Remington PSP for about the same price... Considering that I got the brass for free from range pick-ups that I had saved and accumulated for years before I got into reloading...

So, I got into it to save money, then found I can put together a pretty good cartridge that costs $18-25 for 20 rounds for me the cost is $4 for 20

And nothing you buy out of the box (that I could ever afford in quantity) can equal the consistency of something where you have measured every component exactly yourself. Period.

I have saved a substantial amount from reloading, minus the start-up costs... And I have put together a very high quality cartridge that I like the consistency of, and I am confident in...
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#15]
To save money on accurate loads.

Cheaper to load match grade ammunition that has been tailored to what my rifles like, than to buy factory 69 or 77 grain OTM or MBTHP ammunition.

I don't bother reloading for .223 bulk replicas.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Cheaper to load match grade ammunition that has been tailored to what my rifles like, than to buy factory 69 or 77 grain OTM or MBTHP ammunition.

Put me down for this.

Edit- for pistol- cost & reliability. Some autos want some tweeking of the load to run well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Both

Match grade ammo
and
bulk training ammo for use inside of 50 yards
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:51:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't shoot .223(don't have one, the wife does), but I do have everything needed to load for it..just haven't gotten around to it yet. I can produce more accurate ammo for lower cost than what a generic box of .223 sells for, because I can tailor every detail of the load for best performance in that rifle.

With 9mm, until recently I didn't own one(wife did) and ammo was so cheap I never bothered buying dies, etc. to load for it. Now, I load my own, with my own cast bullets for around $2-$4 per 50, versus buying factory FMJ for what $12 per 50?

In general, if you shoot a couple of hundred rounds a year, you'll probably save some money by reloading. Most folks will generally spend the money they saved on more components to load more ammo, so it ends up being a wash.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Accuracy

But try buying a box of 20 .223 factory loaded 70gr TSX for the price I can reload them, I can reload a whole box of 50 bullets as cheap as you can buy a box of 20 factory loaded rounds.

I put as much time and effort in my 55gr FMJBT loads as I do my 75gr BTHP loads, no brass gets loaded without being fully match prepped(plinkers are not weight sorted) no matter what the load and I do this so I can use any brass thats already prepped to load match or FMJ without reguard to how the cases are prepped(and it's an accuracy thing as well).

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I reload .223 for plinking right now.
Once I get more reloading time under my belt......and more money I will work on precision loads.
But above all I do it because I like it and relieves stress for me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#21]
both
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I reload 223 for both.  For blasting ammo out of my AR, the cost is the same as buying steel cased ammo but I am not a real fan of using Wolf or similar ammo.  If you compare to brass cased new ammo, reloading is cheaper.  For my 223 heavy barrel bolt gun, I need 1000 to 1200 rounds for the annual P-dog trip.  No way I can afford to buy that much ammo that is not FMJ and I don't know that even if I could, I would necessarily get the same level of accuracy I get now.

Reloading is an activity I enjoy so I don't mind doing it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Economy.

I'm time rich, money poor.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#24]
for a while (years) the question in my mind was "well if I do get an AR what am I going to do with it?  Just take these HSLD classes and in the meantime wait in the bedroom with a tac vest, two surefires, bayonet, etc?"

lol

So I ended up buying and selling my handguns.

Then I discovered Highpower competition and things changed dramastically.

Now I knew exactly what type of AR to get, that I could test myself out to 600 yards in organized competion, and I found that I could make my own ammo.

So I load for precision and a purpose.

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I reload .223 because I have fun making my own ammo.

I also have fun shooting it and harvesting the data from it.

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#27]
The cheapest .223 ammo I can find currently goes for $220/K.  I buy my components in large quantites when it's on sale so I got my stock some 3 years ago.  I've still got some years worth of components in 3 different bullet weights, 55grn, 62grn, and 68grn even though I've shot a ton of it so far and my 55grn only cost me $81/K.   Besides saving $139/K, I make some pretty accurate ammo.
Link Posted: 1/6/2011 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My loads are more accurate that factory ammunition and substantially cheaper as well.

+1

And if you are lucky, you can score military surplus powder that is half the price of anything on the shelf.  Many times Accurate Powders will have a surplus batch and package it as another brand and even tell you with powder data to use.  Sometimes as low as $6/pound.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 6:02:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a spread sheet with the math on it. Not counting my time its about half priced to reload 223/556. Case prep takes time. And yes a little more accurate.

only without the proper tools.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 6:05:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My loads are more accurate that factory ammunition and substantially cheaper as well.

this
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 6:40:29 AM EDT
[#31]

both - my bulk loads are pretty darn accurate.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#32]
I enjoy it as a hobby, I can make precision loads or lots of plinking loads, I have ammo when there is a shortage , and I have ammo for my Grendel which is often hard to find and somewhat expensive to buy.  

I've also developed a problem; I may buy factory ammo now that it's back down in price, but I still tend to hoard it and not want to use it.  I've just gotten used to shooting my reloads and keeping factory ammo for a rainy day I guess.
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 10:43:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This.

I can load Black Hills quality ammo for Wolf prices
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Both I guess. When I started reloading 22 years ago it was mainly to save money, plus I liked having the ability to assemble what I wanted and not have to worry if what I wanted was on the store's shelves. I don't think I ever saved any money, just got to shoot more with the same amount of money spent. I started loading ammo for my hunting rifles too because that type ammo has always been fairly expensive, now even more so. As long as I reload I will never pay those outrageous prices for a 20 round box of hunting ammo.

Since your question was specifically about .223 I will say I reload for accuracy more than to save money. I have always loaded a 55 grain FMJ load even when prices for that kind of ammo was really cheap. I guess it was more for convenience than saving money. But what I like to load the most for .223 is OTM rounds, especially 77 grain OTMs. I load them because they are accurate, but I've never bought any factory 77 grain ammo so I don't know how expensive they are. I'm sure they're not cheaper than my reloads.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Because I can  make match grade ammunition for $.75 each vs $2 each from a mfg. Also, I have yet to find a MFG round that shoots as well as my 77gr loads.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I load for accuracy but it is cheaper than buying match grade ammo, so I guess both. "Truth be told there is a lot of us who would load .22lr if possible". Can you imagine what a pain in the "neck" that would be?
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#37]
I mostly reload for cheap practice ammo in 9mm and .223.

6.8 SPC is loaded for economy and accuracy.....

50 Beowulf is loaded becuase of the unavailability of factory ammo.

-dave
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Both

Match grade ammo

and

bulk training ammo for use inside of 50 yards

This sums it up for me as well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#39]
I must be strange. I don't care if it costs more to reload and I certainly dont reload any cheap 5.56 for accuracy. I just love to reload. If I could hand carve an AR barrel I would do that as well even if it costs more to buy one. I love my quiet time when I go to the garage and no one bothers me. I trim every piece of brass slowly and methodically. I measure every powder charge to the tenth of a grain, and I measure every round for uniformity every time. Failures get put back in the pile to be disassembled later and rebuilt. The rest of my life is not so detailed so this is my vice.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 12:41:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I must be strange. I don't care if it costs more to reload and I certainly dont reload any cheap 5.56 for accuracy. I just love to reload. If I could hand carve an AR barrel I would do that as well even if it costs more to buy one. I love my quiet time when I go to the garage and no one bothers me. I trim every piece of brass slowly and methodically. I measure every powder charge to the tenth of a grain, and I measure every round for uniformity every time. Failures get put back in the pile to be disassembled later and rebuilt. The rest of my life is not so detailed so this is my vice.

+1.....I think most that reload do it for more reasons than simply a supply of ammo
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I reload because I enjoy it, it's my favorite hobby.

Besides to have range ammo, and precession loads, the main advantage is to have the means to have ammo and shoot when the stores shelf's are bare.....

That wasn't so long ago.

This exactly

Link Posted: 1/9/2011 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I reload 5.56 to Both save money and produce more accurate loads.  Whether I'm reloading 100 cases with premium grade powder, primers, and bullets or 1000 cases with cheap milspec bullets-LC-Hornady, cheap powder- AA2230, TAC, etc, and Wolf Small Rifle Magnum Primers I am both saving money and building a more accurate and consistant round than I can buy off the shelf.
Link Posted: 1/9/2011 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Both, althoguh I'm working on getting another type trimmer to speed up the case prep time. I enjoy reloading, and load batches of several hundred .223/556 at a time. I believe I'm saving over thirty percent in cost as compared to the factory loaded cost. Obtaining better accuracy with my hand worked ammo is the other benefit I find over factory loads.
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#44]
I reload because my Dad did and so did Grand Dad....It's a great hobby that you can do into your 70's. Hell I have inherited so much reloading stuph that I have to actually make room for it now. Basically you can make a much cheaper, more accurate round than you can buy given quality components.

Rob
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#45]

I reload for economy......but as long as you are consistent with your load, accuracy will come free of charge.  Even my "plinking" rounds I reload are more accurate than any store bought stuff.....
Link Posted: 1/10/2011 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I reload for economy......but as long as you are consistent with your load, accuracy will come free of charge. Even my "plinking" rounds I reload are more accurate than any store bought stuff.....

Ayy...up.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top