Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2010 9:59:07 PM EDT
Hey all,

Has anyone tried any of the aftermarket "upgrade" spent primer cup/tube/catch's?

I am sick and tired of primers bouncing out all over the floor in my utility/reloading room.   I have contacted Dillon multiple times reguarding the issue and even offered suggestions for EASY fixes and with out a single responce from them, I have come to the conclusion that they just don't give a crap about this problem.   It's obvious they arn't going to fix it on their own, so It's time for me to find other means..

I found This upgrade on eBay.

Thanks,

-Masta
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I havent tried it but I experienced primers going all over the place.  The problem is the primer cup walks a bit as if it wants to come off, you have to keep pushing it back into position.  I squooze the two arms of the bracket together some so it would grip the primer cup tighter so it wouldn't walk as much
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered that.  I'll post back when i get it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2010 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I havent tried it but I experienced primers going all over the place.  The problem is the primer cup walks a bit as if it wants to come off, you have to keep pushing it back into position.  I squooze the two arms of the bracket together some so it would grip the primer cup tighter so it wouldn't walk as much

My primer cup doesn't 'walk' at all, the problem is that the primer cup sits 1/4" down from where the primer dischages leaving a huge gap all the way around the primer cup for the primer to bounce out of the cup.   You can put tape around the primer cup which will reduce the number of primers that bounce out, but that's a 1/2 assed fix at best.

If Dillon would change the mounting bracket and raise up the primer cup to get rid of the gap and change the mold of the primer cup so the whole assembly fit better, this problem would likely be no more, but Dillon doesn't seem to care.

-Masta
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 3:12:16 AM EDT
[#4]
guess i got lucky. my primers fall ino the cup exactly as designed and i just slide it out and empty it. no muss no fuss. still trying to fix the "snap" when the shell plate indexes over the ball though. when i put on the washer/bearing fix then the loaded rd. ejector wire won't reliably eject the rds. as it keeps coming outta the hole. even w/that, wouldn't trade it for anything, cept a 1050. maybe. i am the envy of my reloading group. all 2 of us.
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 3:43:10 AM EDT
[#5]
$25. + shipping...?

Where's your nearest (insert home improvement center)?

Link Posted: 12/23/2010 5:44:17 AM EDT
[#6]

I have no problem with the spent primers.
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
guess i got lucky. my primers fall ino the cup exactly as designed and i just slide it out and empty it. no muss no fuss. still trying to fix the "snap" when the shell plate indexes over the ball though. when i put on the washer/bearing fix then the loaded rd. ejector wire won't reliably eject the rds. as it keeps coming outta the hole. even w/that, wouldn't trade it for anything, cept a 1050. maybe. i am the envy of my reloading group. all 2 of us.

You've got to be the first and only person that has a 650 that doesn't chuck primers all over the room!   You've seriously never had a primer jump out of the cup?

As for the snapping problem,  there are 3 things you have to do to fix that.  First cut 1/2-3/4's of a coil off the spring under the detent ball, Second install the shell plate bearing (Sounds like you already did this) but don't install both washers, just put the bearing directly on top of the shell plate and a washer ontop under the screw, Third you need to adjust the shell plate advancer on the left side, just loosen the 2 allen screws and move it slightly forward and try again.  What happens is that the shell plate snaps due to the advancer only bringing the shell plate most of the way there and letting the detent ball jump the shell plate into position.   If you adjust the advancer to bring the shell plate all the way to the next position the snap goes complately away.   You'll want to tighten the shell plate screw down to it's tightest setting with out causing drag on the shell plate rotation.   You'll have to play with those 2 adjustments but you will know when it's perfect because the snap goes completely away.

I've never had a problem with my ejector wire coming out,  but taking out the bottom washer of the shell plate bearing should help, if your still having problems try putting a little bend in the wire.

-Masta
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
$25. + shipping...?

What's your point?   With out a machine shop, how would one make the adaptor/nipple that replaces the primer cup bracket?

Quoted:

You've honestly never had a primer jump out of the primer cup?

I'm sorry if I find that hard to believe because I don't see how it's possible to NOT have this problem, and untill not I've never known of ANYONE that didn't have this problem...

-Masta
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Tag as I'm about to buy a 650.
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Why pay $25 for a fix that takes 2 minutes and is free?
Take a piece of electrical tape and fold over 1/3 of the width back on itself.  Now apply it to the rim of the primer cup as shown below.  It's free and it solved my issues completely.  BTW, the tape has been there for 4 years and over 70,000 rds and its still doing the job.

While you're at it.  Do the same thing with the Primer Chute.

Link Posted: 12/23/2010 6:48:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I guess you've heard of two now who've never had the problem. My primers stay where they're supposed to.
I'd rather be lucky than good any day....
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$25. + shipping...?

What's your point? With out a machine shop, how would one make the adaptor/nipple that replaces the primer cup bracket?
Quoted:

I'm sorry if I find that hard to believe because I don't see how it's possible to NOT have this problem, and untill not I've never known of ANYONE that didn't have this problem...

-Masta

They do not pop out of my unit, I have forgot to check the level in the bucket and got it cloged

Link Posted: 12/23/2010 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why pay $25 for a fix that takes 2 minutes and is free?

Take a piece of electrical tape and fold over 1/3 of the width back on itself.  Now apply it to the rim of the primer cup as shown below.  It's free and it solved my issues completely.  BTW, the tape has been there for 4 years and over 70,000 rds and its still doing the job.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/100_0862.jpg

Been there, done that.   Primers still jump out the front of the primer cup where the big open hole/window is.  In 200 rounds I'll loose 5-8 primers on the floor.

I want a 100% fix that will never put another primer on the floor, EVER.

-Masta
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I guess you've heard of two now who've never had the problem. My primers stay where they're supposed to.

Yeah, I'm the type that always hears "your the first, I've never seen this happen before".  If I didnt have bad luck, I wouldn't have ANY luck.

So I want to know HOW it's possible for the few people that don't have the primers jumping out..  What's different?    There's got to be something different...

-Masta
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 7:53:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I just ordered that. I'll post back when i get it.

Please do, i'd like to know how well that upgrade works!
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 9:54:42 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've got to be the first and only person that has a 650 that doesn't chuck primers all over the room!   You've seriously never had a primer jump out of the cup?
~snip~

I don't have this problem either.

ETA: maybe once every 200-300 rounds one will bounce around and get out, but otherwise it's a non issue.

Link Posted: 12/23/2010 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
$25. + shipping...?

What's your point?   With out a machine shop, how would one make the adaptor/nipple that replaces the primer cup bracket?

Quoted:

-Masta

straight up no shit got no reason to lie. never had ONE outta the cup cept when i dump em out. i'd cop in a heartbeat if had happened.

Link Posted: 12/23/2010 10:08:19 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't have mine anymore, I decided to stick with the 550 only, but I also rarely had primers popping loose on my 650.  I would say that I lost 1 out of every 2 or 300 at most.  And that isn't any worse or better than the 550.  Plus, on the 550 you also have to deal with the chute sticking every once in a while.
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hey all,

Has anyone tried any of the aftermarket "upgrade" spent primer cup/tube/catch's?

I am sick and tired of primers bouncing out all over the floor in my utility/reloading room.   I have contacted Dillon multiple times reguarding the issue and even offered suggestions for EASY fixes and with out a single responce from them, I have come to the conclusion that they just don't give a crap about this problem.   It's obvious they arn't going to fix it on their own, so It's time for me to find other means..

Thanks,

-Masta

They aren't going to respond or acknowledge, or use your design because that opens them up to liability when you decide to sue them for using your design.
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey all,

Thanks,

-Masta

They aren't going to respond or acknowledge, or use your design because that opens them up to liability when you decide to sue them for using your design.

I couldn't care less if they used my suggestions..  What I do care about is that they FIX the problem.

I'm glad I started this thread because I was under the impression that the primers jumping out was something EVERYONE experienced,  Now I'm seeing 1/2 dozen people that say it NEVER happens to them.

So If that be the case, there is SOMETHING different, maybe Dillon changed something along the way?  Maybe a different supplier for the primer cup or mounting bracket?   SOMETHING!?

My press is one of the newer XL650's so now i'm really curious as to WHAT is different...

-Masta

Link Posted: 12/23/2010 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted: when i put on the washer/bearing fix then the loaded rd. ejector wire won't reliably eject the rds. as it keeps coming outta the hole.

You gotta make sure you bend the ejector wire so that it stays in the hole. That fix is mentioned in many of the bearing washer threads.

jonblack

Link Posted: 12/23/2010 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have an older 650. I just loaded 200 rounds of .40 last night. I didn't have any problems with spent primers popping out.

jonblack
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 10:37:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Looking at the cup again,  I think what I might try next is cutting a groove out of the cup just infront of the rail slides on each side and inserting a a thin piece of plastic, that *should* act as a back board for the primers to bounce off of and drop down into the cup instead of sling shoting out the back of the cup.

I will post more as I progress...

-Masta
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Check the "ears" on your primer cup. Mine measure 1.063". You may be able to shorten the ears so that the cup slips farther back under the spent primer hole.

jonblack
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Okay,  So here's a few pictures of my idea.

For the trial I just used a piece of thin cardboard and taped it to the inside of the cup.   If this works I will use my dremel tool w/cut off wheel and cut a small groove in each side of the primer cup in the same location as the cardboard sits now (or relocate depending on test results) and install a thin piece of plastic spanning across the cup into the grooves on each side.

Doing this leaves the back "window" and top of the primer cup open to see how full the cup is, while creating a wall to block the primers from sling shotting off the ramp and out of the back of the primer cup.

I will post results after my next reloading session (Should be today or tomarrow).

-Masta
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Masta...

that looks like a nice solution.  I'd suggest clear milk-jug plastic.  Cheap and readily available... flexable and plentiful... should be easy to get a perfect fit from only 1 jug.

I did something similar on my 550... I added a bit of a flared rim using a milk jug.  Haven't dropped a primer that missed the catch since.  Only had one or two miss prior... but none since.
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I am happy to report that my "fix" worked GREAT.

I processed 200 rounds of 9mm and not a single primer jumped out of the primer cup.

Now to make it permanent...

-Masta
Link Posted: 12/23/2010 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I used a drilled out 300wm case, a length of hose, and a gatorade bottle to collect the spent primers.  Drill a hole in the bench below the press then screw the gatorade bottle to the underside.  Cut the hose to fit just down into the bottle with the press at its highest position.

Cheap and reliable.  I've had to empty the bottle a couple times now and never lost a primer.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_GMi1nd2DS3Q/TRRFAbgD_AI/AAAAAAAAAdI/U5A1mvEd7eI/s640/XL650%20Primer%20Fix%201.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_GMi1nd2DS3Q/TRRI7GFi58I/AAAAAAAAAeI/BqR6gOvM-3Q/s512/IMG_20101224_001153.jpg
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_GMi1nd2DS3Q/TRRFBqzAkLI/AAAAAAAAAdQ/FwWWbtn6-9o/s640/XL650%20Primer%20Fix%203.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_GMi1nd2DS3Q/TRRFCjLnpQI/AAAAAAAAAdY/G4CMAL1gk7M/s640/XL650%20Primer%20Fix%205.JPG

Link Posted: 12/24/2010 6:05:47 AM EDT
[#29]
When I first got my machine it shot the first 3 everywhere...Then I realized I forgot to install the catch.  After that no problems.  I didn't have to modify anything
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I used a drilled out 300wm case, a length of hose, and a gatorade bottle to collect the spent primers.  Drill a hole in the bench below the press then screw the gatorade bottle to the underside.  Cut the hose to fit just down into the bottle with the press at its highest position.

Cheap and reliable.  I've had to empty the bottle a couple times now and never lost a primer.

Good job. Using materials that go hand in hand with the machine is a plus. Oh, and welcome to the fourm. Thanks for the contribution.

jonblack
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I like the 300 WM case too.  On a 1050, a 223 brass will fit into the primer hole in the press, cut the base and I run a hose to a 1 gal milk jug.
Link Posted: 12/24/2010 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Cool mod (you guys w/ the cases and hoses)... this is one of the things I like about the hornady ... I just run the hose into the garbage can.  That retrofit kit on ebay looks pretty clean too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I just ordered that.  I'll post back when i get it.

Well?   Any feedback yet?

Let us know...

-Masta
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top