Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2010 7:31:18 PM EDT
I was looking at some 52 gr .224 bullets I had pulled sometime in the past. They were pretty grungy.

The 2 shinny ones in the middle are new Sierra 52 HPBT's for reference.

I have tumbled bullets in walnut in the past, but why not try Lemshine? It works great on brass cases.

So after a 20 minute soak and a rinse in plain water they looked like this.

Now there are 12 bullets in the pic, because I had thrown 1 in the Lemshine before the first pic.

They look great for just a 20 minute soak.

So now I wanted m0ar, and looked around for another batch of bullets to clean.

Got these old school Hornady .308,  220 gr RN at a funshow awhile ago, they will be a good test.

Again using the 52 gr bullets as a control.

Placed bullets in tacticool ice cream tub and covered with Lemshine.

5 minutes go by and they look like this.

Notice the time, did that without trying, bullets starting to look good. I fixed the clock angle.

These look good, time to rinse and dry. Notice original price on box of bullets. IIRC, I paid $5 for the box.

Finished, didn't take long.

So now I have another use for Lemshine.

You can get Lemshine at wally world located with the dish detergent.

I mix it (it's a powder) 2 teaspoons in a quart of water, shake well.

I normally soak brass cases overnight, so I was surprised how fast it worked on bullets.

Thanks to AeroE  for bringing Lemshine to the forum.

Link Posted: 1/18/2010 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for that and the pics. Off to get some Lemishine tom. I have some really nasty brass I picked up from the range ill test it out on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Lemshine will do a good job cleaning nasty range brass, some / most of the cases will come out with a pink look to them.

Don't worry, they haven't caught the ghey, the pink will tumble off.

Dirty cases

After soaking overnight. Just a little pink here, didn't show up in the pic. My quart mixing jug shown here.

After tumbling.
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 6:16:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool, thanks again for the pics. What mixture do you use for the lemishine and how long do you bake it in the oven and what temp?
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 7:00:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Brass will look like that in less than 5 minutes if you use lemishizzle in an ultrasonic cleaner.
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I bet it does. I plan on the next time I'm in Harbor Freight to check one out but I just don't want to spend a lot of money on one.
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#6]
So all you do is soak it in lemishine for a little bit and your brass looks like that?

Man am I interested!
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cool, thanks again for the pics. What mixture do you use for the lemishine and how long do you bake it in the oven and what temp?

Tag for answer.

Also answer if you deprime before soaking. If so, does it clean all the crud out of the primer pocket?
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tag for answer.

Also answer if you deprime before soaking. If so, does it clean all the crud out of the primer pocket?

Mixture I use is: 2 teaspoons Lemshine to 1 quart of water.

Some people dry their brass in an oven, keep temp no warmer than 200 degrees.

How long? Until it is dry. Sorry, but I have no idea, as I don't use this method.

If you "bake" your brass at a high temp, you will anneal it (make it soft) and ruin it.

You can deprime before soaking, some of the residue will be removed.

I like to let my wet brass air dry overnight.

Then I tumble it to get it shinny.
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Brass will look like that in less than 5 minutes if you use lemishizzle in an ultrasonic cleaner.

Please post some pics of this.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Wish I knew about this when I got my 50 cal brass!
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to try an experiment myself with a 105mm shell that has been outside for over 10 years and used as an ashtray. I soaked it in a lemishine mix of 6 tbsp to 10 or so gals water for 24hrs.

Here are some before pictures

This is after rinsing it off after 24hrs

And this is after polishing it with a little case polish and a rag. Wife shot down the idea of using the dryer and corn cob.

Needless to say I'm sold on how well lemishine works.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 6:44:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had to try an experiment myself with a 105mm shell that has been outside for over 10 years and used as an ashtray. I soaked it in a lemishine mix of 6 tbsp to 10 or so gals water for 24hrs.

Here are some before pictures

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/ARDUDE/DSCF0668.jpg

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/ARDUDE/DSCF0669.jpg

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/ARDUDE/DSCF0670.jpg

This is after rinsing it off after 24hrs
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/ARDUDE/DSCF0672.jpg

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/ARDUDE/DSCF0674.jpg

And this is after polishing it with a little case polish and a rag. Wife shot down the idea of using the dryer and corn cob.
http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/ARDUDE/DSCF0677.jpg

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/ARDUDE/DSCF0679.jpg

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab353/ARDUDE/DSCF0676.jpg

Needless to say I'm sold on how well lemishine works.

Excellent pics,

Another satisfied customer.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:39:21 PM EDT
[#13]
i picked up some lemshine today, soaking some surplus bullets now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
i picked up some lemshine today, soaking some surplus bullets now.

Much faster and better than tumbling.
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 9:15:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Now THAT would be a serious tumbler!!!!  Media might get stuck in the exhaust tube, though...

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 12:45:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Now THAT would be a serious tumbler!!!!  Media might get stuck in the exhaust tube, though...

You could tie the brass and media up in a pillow case and throw in in the dryer for about an hour and I bet that would work as long as there was plenty of media to keep the cases from getting dinged up while flipping over and over in the dryer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#17]
[/quote]

You could tie the brass and media up in a pillow case and throw in in the dryer for about an hour and I bet that would work as long as there was plenty of media to keep the cases from getting dinged up while flipping over and over in the dryer.[/quote]

I just know someone is going to try this!  
Posting pics will be a must!
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You could tie the brass and media up in a pillow case and throw in in
the dryer for about an hour and I bet that would work as long as there
was plenty of media to keep the cases from getting dinged up while
flipping over and over in the dryer.

[/quote]

It does work.  Wrap the whole thing in a sleeping bag so it doesn't bang around too much.  I've used corncob media and my dryer to clean rust out of motorcycle gas tanks with great success.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Lemishine definitly works.   Thought I haven't had alot of success getting "stained" brass clean.

If there are "stained" spots on the brass the lemishine will definitly turn it pink, but I have been unable to get the 'stained' area polished, it'll remain pinkish.

-Masta
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 4:01:52 PM EDT
[#20]
When I'm using lemishine, I use a glass container and microwave it to get the solution boiling.  Then I put in the brass.  First piece in can be quite interesting.

For all you guys soaking bullets, they're ruined and you need to send them to me for disposal.  Everybody knows lead soaks up water like a sponge and now they're out of balance.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lemishine definitly works.   Thought I haven't had alot of success getting "stained" brass clean.

If there are "stained" spots on the brass the lemishine will definitly turn it pink, but I have been unable to get the 'stained' area polished, it'll remain pinkish.

-Masta

The "pink" will tumble right off.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When I'm using lemishine, I use a glass container and microwave it to get the solution boiling.  Then I put in the brass.  First piece in can be quite interesting.

For all you guys soaking bullets, they're ruined and you need to send them to me for disposal.  Everybody knows lead soaks up water like a sponge and now they're out of balance.

Tell us moar about the first piece of brass in the boiling mixture.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#23]
I just tried it and it made a world of difference as soon as i put some brass in.  Why would anyone ever want a tumbler if this stuff is on the market?
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Just picked us some Lemishine a wal-mart. I hope my brass cleans up as well as the pics above. Suppressors make for dirty brass
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#25]
OST...

I'll have to get some.

- AG
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think mentos and diet coke.  Nah, not that bad, but the first piece starts some really rapid boiling.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 3:52:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Kool-Ade will also work.  Get the sugar free kind, or you will have a sticky  mess.

It is the citric acid that is the active ingredient.  Citric acid is available in small quantities in the canning department of groceries that cater to the canning crowd.  It is used in canning tomatoes, among other things.

You can also find it several places online, including E-Bay.  You can buy a lifetime supply for a few dollars.

Another use is to combine with sodium bicarbonate to produce a fizzy bath.  Might be a  good way to convince your wife that you really need 5 pounds of citric acid.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Will Leminshine degrade the brass??  What are the ingredients?
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think mentos and diet coke.  Nah, not that bad, but the first piece starts some really rapid boiling.

Glad I asked before trying.

Mentos and diet Coke, saw that on Mythbusters.

Not something to do indoors.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I exaggerated a bit.  If you leave a couple of inches of container above the liquid, it ought to stay in.  Use a clean glass bowl and nuke it until it boils, it'll be a slow boil with large bubbles.  But as soon as you put in the brass, it'll change from slow and big to fast and small.  Can't remember what causes it other than the brass has edges on it that allow the boiling to take place faster.  The same process with the mentos and coke, but not nearly as dramatic.

Link Posted: 2/3/2010 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I exaggerated a bit.  If you leave a couple of inches of container above the liquid, it ought to stay in.  Use a clean glass bowl and nuke it until it boils, it'll be a slow boil with large bubbles.  But as soon as you put in the brass, it'll change from slow and big to fast and small.  Can't remember what causes it other than the brass has edges on it that allow the boiling to take place faster.  The same process with the mentos and coke, but not nearly as dramatic.

eta, expermitted with heating the water in this Thread. Lots of pics.
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#33]
I’ve been experimenting with Lemishine and here is what I found.  It works pretty good but sometimes the cleaning is inconsistent.  I have figured out that this is due to some case lube that is left on the casing which prevents the lemishine from getting on the brass and cleaning it.

Here is a work around:

1) Soak all the brass in a pale with hot water and a spoonful of cloth washing detergent.  This stuff works well and will completely remove the lube - best if you just leave it overnight.

2) In the morning, dump out the detergent water and rinse with tap water.

3) Replace with more hot water and add Lemishine, now boil the whole thing over the stove for about 10 min.

4) Dump out Lemishine and rinse with water.  I use a “Salad Spinner” like this one

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/190-2255075-1867125?asin=B0002FCG9G&AFID=shopzilla_df&LNM=|B0002FCG9G&CPNG=small%20appliances&ref=tgt_adv_XSB10001

which has a cord that you pull to spin the internal pale to remove the water.

5) After you remove the water, just take the pale out and put it over a force air heat register and the warm air will dry the casing.

BTW, do not put the casing in the dryer (even if they are in a pillow case), this is because the casing have spent primers in them and they are very dirty and more importantly, primers have lead in them and this lead with get into your dryer and eventually your cloths and the cloths of your family – very bad!
Link Posted: 2/22/2010 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Will Leminshine degrade the brass??  No  

What are the ingredients? Citric acid mostly

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:07:57 AM EDT
[#35]
I use LemmiTumble with some polish in corn media and my brass turn out just as good.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#36]

Wife shot down the idea of using the dryer and corn cob.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Masta

On brass that was completely black from exposure I have not found that tumbling removes the pinkish tint.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I put some Hornady bullets in my lemishine jar to clean up.  Did a great job on the copper, but the exposed lead at the tip, turned white, with oxidation.  I cleaned that up with 0000 Steel wool.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 3:38:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Do you suppose that there is citric acid and TSP in the LimiShine, one or the other or both of which go to work on the patina (oxidation) as well as the dirt and perhaps on the brass itself.  Likely that any acidic reaction would be too minimal to damage the brass.  Any chemists in the group who can comment?   I'd minimize the exposure of the brass and rinse well.

The use of the product has the potential to really extend the life of your tumbling media, with way less dirt in the tumbler.  Or even eliminate tumbling.  However, it does mean you have to dry the brass.  I wash the dirt out of range pick up brass right after I bring it home by putting the cases in a mesh bag and hosing it down.  Cases are cleaner, but not clean as a result of this process. Drying is a hassle in the winter, (spread out on a towel in basement, wait a week) but not so bad in the summer (hang mesh bag outside in the sun for a while).
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I am not a chemistt but this is what I think happens.  The Lemishine bottle says that it contains “real fruit acid” so likely citric acid.  This weak acid will not affect the brass but it does dissolve the copper (II) oxide which is black in color (i.e what we call discoloration) and soluble in the acid.  I think the reason for the red coloration is that after Lemishine cleans the brass, the wet copper can also react with atmospheric oxygen to form copper (I) oxide which has a red color and is insoluble in water.  The light abrasion with the tumbling media will remove this light oxidation and revealing the bright brass.

You are right about the drying which I think is the biggest weakness of this method.  This is especially true with 223 brass which has a small neck and can hold a significant amount of water inside the casing.  You can flick it out or blow it out with compress air using something like a ball inflation needle, but it is slow since you have to do the brass one at a time.  I do that and then leave the brass in a wire basket over a heater vent.  Drying the brass of course is essential as I am sure that trying to tumble it with water inside will cause a BIG mess.  Have not tried the oven method.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#41]
From last Sunday,

On the left, some LC 06 dirty and sandy.

Same brass after a 1/2 hour soak in Lemishine.

Drying on wood stove, takes a half hour.

Put a thermometer in with the drying brass, it never got above 140 degrees.

Cleaned, now ready to tumble.

Got about half of that batch tumbled, ready for sizing this weekend.

eta pic

All brass tumbled, started sizing.

Yes, it is all once fired.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#42]
just picked up some Lemishine.  tried it for 10 min on some .45 brass.  First mistake let the cases dry before you tumble.  will only do that once.

seems the cases are shinier.  does it remove sizing lube?  I haven't tried it on anything that has been resized and the brass Dryflash got was either once fired or was probably lubeless.

skink
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
just picked up some Lemishine.  tried it for 10 min on some .45 brass.  First mistake let the cases dry before you tumble.  will only do that once.

After soaking in Lemishine, rinse brass in clean water, then dry.

seems the cases are shinier.  does it remove sizing lube? No.  I haven't tried it on anything that has been resized and the brass Dryflash got was either once fired or was probably lubeless.

Yes once fired dirty and sandy.

Used the Lemishine to preclean brass and save my tumbler media.

I only use Lemishine as a pre cleaner, then I tumble in walnut to clean, lube and size, tumble in plain corn cob to remove lube.

skink

Link Posted: 3/18/2010 12:01:55 PM EDT
[#44]
http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Bumptag.
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 9:02:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I just tried it and it made a world of difference as soon as i put some brass in.  Why would anyone ever want a tumbler if this stuff is on the market?

Because it will turn some brass pink....and nobody wants pink brass! You'll have to tumble the pink off.

jonblack
Link Posted: 5/15/2010 11:51:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Masta

On brass that was completely black from exposure I have not found that tumbling removes the pinkish tint.

http://webpages.charter.net/jscalcione/Image00001.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/jscalcione/Image00003.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/jscalcione/Image00005.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/jscalcione/Image00007.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/jscalcione/Image00010.jpg

If you tumbled them before hand,it might have been ok(guess)
Link Posted: 5/16/2010 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I've got some old brass fire extinguishers that I'll use that stuff on.  They're a pain to clean.
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Is the solution reusable, or do you have to mix up a fresh batch each time?
Link Posted: 5/30/2010 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#50]
depends on how dirty whatever you are cleaning is. Once it turns a greenish tint, you toss it. Could be 2-3 uses or more, just depends
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top