Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2009 5:23:44 AM EDT
To clean my cases I use a combination of tumbling and chemical (vinegar solution) cleaning.  Cases come out very clean and shiny, but I don't like the dust and the tumbling media mess.  I have not jumped in the ultrasonic cleaning bandwagon because of the limited amount of cases you can clean at once.  Well, it looks like that is going to change with the Hornady LNL Sonic Cleaner.  It can clean up to 200 .223 cases or 100 .308 cases at once.  I actually clean about 200 cases of .223 at a time so this ultrasonic cleaner sounds like a winner to me.  I was going to order one for Christmas, but I have not found it in stock anywhere.  Midway shows a price of $99 and available in January.  Well, I guess it is something to look forward in 2010.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 5:34:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it me or is that the same "MADE IN CHINA" cleaners they sell on ebay with with a Hornady logo silkscrened on the front?

-Deke
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is it me or is that the same "MADE IN CHINA" cleaners they sell on ebay with with a Hornady logo silkscrened on the front?

-Deke

Probably....  I just picked up an ultrasonic cleaner.  The results are hit and miss, and most certainly NOT worth the hastle of getting brass wet for cleaning brass for bulk loading.

If I were building a precision load, I might go to the hastle for a small batch.

It works good on some things, but I wouldn't spend the money on the thing if I had it to do over again.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 6:11:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

-Deke

I don't know why I forgot to check on Ebay:
Hornady

eBay

It definitely looks like the same cleaner.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:06:29 AM EDT
[#4]
This is most certainly IMHO.....These seem like a solution in search of a problem.  Not mention you then have to dry the solution out of the cases prior to reloading....Does it get them that much cleaner then normal tumbling to make it worth the effort?  I have no issues with the dust from the media if I remember to put the lid on my tumbler.

Maybe I just need to be enlightened.....
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is most certainly IMHO.....These seem like a solution in search of a problem.  Not mention you then have to dry the solution out of the cases prior to reloading....Does it get them that much cleaner then normal tumbling to make it worth the effort?  I have no issues with the dust from the media if I remember to put the lid on my tumbler.

I believe he was talking about the dust inside the case, it contains abrasives (primer dust and carbon from powder)
'Borg
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

To me it will not require any extra effort and yes it does improves tremendously the cleaning.  The wet solution removes all the powder that stays inside the cases, brass stains, and cleans very well the primer pockets.  It removes the stuff that does not come off the cases even after hours of tumbling.  Drying the cases is not a problem, I don't spend time doing that.  I rinse them well and drain all the water, and then I put them in the tumbler with corn media for 1 hour.  The friction dries the cases and they come out polished and shiny like brand new brass.  Instead of running a tumbler for hours to get the cases "clean", I do the following:

1. Clean brass in tumbler for about 30 minutes.  This is just to remove dirt or oil from the cases.
2. Decap cases in progressive press using a Dillon decaping die.  It only takes a few minutes to do hundreds of them.
3. Put cases is wet solution for 10 minutes.
4. Rinse and drain.
5. Tumble brass for 1 hour.

The ultrasonic cleaner will just improve the cleaning process.  There are plenty of articles out there that just prove that fact.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does it get them that much cleaner then normal tumbling to make it worth the effort?

It gets them pretty friggin clean.  I haven't mastered the thing yet.  Some of my batches didn't come out so great...

but you can get the insides of the brass and the pockets shiney clean.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 10:43:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does it get them that much cleaner then normal tumbling to make it worth the effort?

It gets them pretty friggin clean.  I haven't mastered the thing yet.  Some of my batches didn't come out so great...

but you can get the insides of the brass and the pockets shiney clean.

They look practically new coming out of an ultrasonic.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To me it will not require any extra effort and yes it does improves tremendously the cleaning.  The wet solution removes all the powder that stays inside the cases, brass stains, and cleans very well the primer pockets.  It removes the stuff that does not come off the cases even after hours of tumbling.  Drying the cases is not a problem, I don't spend time doing that.  I rinse them well and drain all the water, and then I put them in the tumbler with corn media for 1 hour.  The friction dries the cases and they come out polished and shiny like brand new brass.  Instead of running a tumbler for hours to get the cases "clean", I do the following:

1. Clean brass in tumbler for about 30 minutes.  This is just to remove dirt or oil from the cases.
2. Decap cases in progressive press using a Dillon decaping die.  It only takes a few minutes to do hundreds of them.
3. Put cases is wet solution for 10 minutes.
4. Rinse and drain.
5. Tumble brass for 1 hour.

The ultrasonic cleaner will jump improve the cleaning process.  There are plenty of articles out there that just prove that fact.

Wow... I think we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Just seems like a unneeded step to me given my uses of the finished product. If I was shooting bench rest and trying to squeeze the last bit of accuracy out of a round I guess it would make sense to me, along the same lines as uniforming a flash hole.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#10]
This is like picking fly shit out of pepper. I have loaded multiple calibers that produced 1/4 inch and under groups with no more than a Dillon cleaner. I have done the same loads with the same accuracy without cleaning the cases at all. Absolute hype for anal retentive reloaders.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This is like picking fly shit out of pepper. I have loaded multiple calibers that produced 1/4 inch and under groups with no more than a Dillon cleaner. I have done the same loads with the same accuracy without cleaning the cases at all. Absolute hype for anal retentive reloaders.

I guess it all depends on what range you want to get those 1/4 inch groups.  The farther out you go, the more anal retentive you need to be to keep that same grouping.

-Deke
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess it all depends on what range you want to get those 1/4 inch groups.  The farther out you go, the more anal retentive you need to be to keep that same grouping.

-Deke

Did he just say ANAL?

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#13]
For 95% of your shooting needs you will never need more than a regular tumbler .... but I have lately been putting a couple rifles together that are long past over due and really wished I had a sonic cleaner to take care of some of the scrubbing.  It would be a great asset to any workshop really .... working up 40-50 new rounds for next years hunting rounds.  Throw the brass in the sonic cleaner and get them nice and squeaky clean.  Clean your rifle for this weekends hunting trip ... throw the BCG into the sonic cleaner and off with the carbon buildup!!!  It's not a necessity by any means .... but I have found myself thinking multiple times how much easier the task at hand would be if I didn't have to clean it.  This rifle could of benefited from one:

Link Posted: 12/23/2009 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I have spent most of my reloading life in apartments.
Ultra sonics are effective cleaners and exceedingly neighbor friendly. Nothing can clean a primer pocket better.

They also do a good job of cleaning complete pistol slides and what not. It works every last bit of grime out of every nook and cranny, without taking it apart. When your schedule is busy, ultrasonic and an oil bath will give you a reasonably clean gun in next to no time.

As to small batches, i use a single stage that requires c clamps to hold it to a table. My slow reloading is not a result of my cleaning method.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

-Deke

What will you guys that believe that do when someone shows that the black carbon deposit promotes uniform ignition and pressures?

There's a lot of more important work to do to prep brass before cleaning it completely free of carbon deposits.  Don't look for a tumbler too hard around a national bench rest match, you won't find one.  You might find shooters wiping the outside of the cases with a Wonder Cloth, or whatever the heck they're called now, and brushing the primer pockets between relays.  I've never noticed one brushing the inside of the case mouth, but it's possible someone does.

But if shooters need dead clean brass it's no skin off my nose.  If it took no more work than normal tumbling, I would probably go that way, too.

Krazy Kloth

And some of them sand the inside of their necks with 600 grit sandpaper.
Link Posted: 12/23/2009 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Found this on Accurate Shooter.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 5:09:02 AM EDT
[#18]

What will you guys that believe that do when someone shows that the black carbon deposit promotes uniform ignition and pressures?

There's a lot of more important work to do to prep brass before cleaning it completely free of carbon deposits. Don't look for a tumbler too hard around a national bench rest match, you won't find one. You might find shooters wiping the outside of the cases with a Wonder Cloth, or whatever the heck they're called now, and brushing the primer pockets between relays. I've never noticed one brushing the inside of the case mouth, but it's possible someone does.

But if shooters need dead clean brass it's no skin off my nose. If it took no more work than normal tumbling, I would probably go that way, too.

For me it’s more about cleaning the primer pockets and flash hole than anything else.  I could care less about all the crud on the inside.

I washed and dried my brass before tumbling anyway so for me, moving to an ultrasonic saved a step, not add one.  Plus it saved another tedious step since I no longer need to brush primer pockets.

-Deke

Link Posted: 12/24/2009 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've never noticed one brushing the inside of the case mouth

I don't think most of those guys want ANYTHING touching the inside of the case mouth.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#20]
I think part of the appeal re an ultra sonic cleaner is that it can do small parts as well as cases.  I know I would love to find something that will get ALL the carbon off firearm parts such as AR bolts.  This may be just the ticket for this type of job.  I will have to get one and give it a whirl.     Rick
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I ordered this from Harbour Freight.

Certainly not just for brass but for many cleaning tasks including gun parts and other pieces. It arrives today and after some experimenting with it I will post how it works.
Here is a link to the same cleaner on Ebay.  Cheaper from Harbour Freight:
Ebay Ultrasonic Cleaner
The Shining Image seems to make most of them.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#22]
That is basically the unit I have.  Results are hit and miss.

I doubt I'd buy it all over again.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#23]
First quick check.  I put a couple of my GF's rings in the cleaner with water and some dish soap.  She thinks it was fantastic.  Cleaned a couple of her rings she has been having trouble getting cleaned.  The fake diamonds sparkled.  Haven't tried it on the brass or pistol parts yet.
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 4:30:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
First quick check.  I put a couple of my GF's rings in the cleaner with water and some dish soap.  She thinks it was fantastic.  Cleaned a couple of her rings she has been having trouble getting cleaned.  The fake diamonds sparkled.  Haven't tried it on the brass or pistol parts yet.

Yeah... Jewelry is about what these things are good for.

I've yet to try an industrial grade cleaner though... so I have no way to guage how good/bad these Shining Image units are.
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I bought the one from eBay that looks like the one Hornady is going to sell.  I have not done any brass yet, but it did work great on jewerly.  I am buying Brownell's ultrasonic cleaner and lubricant to try it on my rifle's bolt carriers/bolt and on my Glock.
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Jason Baney wrote a good article for www.accurateshooter.com (formerly www.6mmBR.com) on how to use an ultrasonic, as well as half a dozen different cleaning solutions to try. I remember he found they worked better if you only use enough fluid to just cover the cases. He also referred to different ultrasonic cycles and suggested some were better than others. He said when you get it right the cases would be jumping around like they were on a rolling boil.
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 6:07:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Jason Baney wrote a good article for www.accurateshooter.com (formerly www.6mmBR.com) on how to use an ultrasonic, as well as half a dozen different cleaning solutions to try. I remember he found they worked better if you only use enough fluid to just cover the cases. He also referred to different ultrasonic cycles and suggested some were better than others. He said when you get it right the cases would be jumping around like they were on a rolling boil.

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top