Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2009 7:00:18 AM EDT
I have never had a really great load for my Winchester 70 Classic in 7MM Rem Mag
what is the most accurate weight and bullet you have tried?
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Hunting load or target?

With any caliber I first pick the bullet weight I want, then try several different powders.

What is your group size?

Components you used?

Case prep?

I had a 7mm Rem mag for a short time (traded it off), it liked 150 and 175 gr bullets WLRM, and IMR-4831.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#2]
While I have a Remington, Which may make a huge difference in results. I could never beat Federal's 140Gr partition load. I tried lots of heavier bullets since I was hunting moose and Elk at the time.  Give a box a try, and use it for a guide line. I would like to see if you can beat this load. Oh, BTW, I took a cow elk, and a calf moose with this load, both DRT.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 8:13:55 AM EDT
[#4]
When I do my part I shoot 2 to 2.5 MOA with a few 1.5-1.75 MOAs.
I mainly  shoot in the 140 gr range,
I normally run CCI primers, Winchester cases with some Federal.
Nosler Ballistic tip, Hornady BTHP, Nosler Partition, Barnes TSX  (they do shoot pretty good in this rifle at 140-150 range) and I have loaded 175 Trophy Bonded bear claw, and Nosler partition Bullets.
H4831, RL 22, IMR 4350 are what Powders I normally use.
I will have to check but I think the barrel is free floated it is a composite stock controlled feed Stainless.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 10:04:08 AM EDT
[#5]
i have been using Barnes TTSX 140 grain with 71.0 grains of Retumbo in new winchester cases and WLRM primers goin about 3050 FPS. The recoil is easy and the groups are right around 1/2".

This is out of a new Savage 116 with accustock and accutrigger so you results might be diffrent in your rifle.

I do have some 168 berger VLD's that i havent had a chance to get loaded up but i cant wait to try them out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#6]
To find the real accuracy potential of my Ruger 77, I used 168 grain JHPs and 7828 powder.  It proved that 2 moa rifle was very capable of sub MOA performance.  

I used that performance for a baselline for tradeoffs I made in performance. - accuracy vs. cost per round.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you mixing your brass in your loads, or just saying you use 2 different kinds?

I'm a brass sorter and only use 1 brand when shooting for groups.

If you aren't happy with the 140's. I would try the Sierra 160 gr Spitzer, or Sierra 168 gr HPBT.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#9]
separated by brand and load # as best as possible trimmed to length when needed
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I use  Hornady 139 and 162 grain Interlocks in my Savage 116 with great success using H4350 and IMR4831.  They are both very accurate.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 6:08:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Are the new Savage Bolt action rifles that much more accurate than off the shelf Rem 700, and Win 70?
I keep reading up on them, and all the people responding with my xxx shoots yyys are running Savage 116 rifles.
My Winchester 70 classic Stainless composite has never been a sub moa rifle, where as my Browning A Bolt II Medalion Boss will shoot near MOA with trips below it (Im an OK shooter but they wont be making any movies about me for it).
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 7:36:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I wont get rid of her she is my first rifle, I had a Q-logic tunable muzzle break on her but removed it after my hunt in Africa, maybe where the collar grabbed the barrel and was cut off it disturbed the bore for the last 5/8 " on the barrel.(when ever possible do not fire multiple shots from a muzzle braked .458 win mag without hearing protection)
Like I said the rifle is alright just not as accurate as I think a 7mm rem mag should be, I just need to keep looking for a pet Target and Hunting load.
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Are the new Savage Bolt action rifles that much more accurate than off the shelf Rem 700, and Win 70?

Not really.  Most off-the-shelf Rem 700s and Winchester Model 70s seem easily capable of MOA accuracy.  Certainly my newest Model 70 Classic .270 WSM gives solid MOA performance with factory ammo.  The Savage 110 in 7mm Mag certainly didn't have anything up on my Winchesters.  In fact a friend's M70 Classic 7mm Mag, similar to yours, re-chambered to 7mm STW gives MOA accuracy as well (150-gr Partition/H-1000)

I have never tried match bullets for that rifle, but Nosler Ballistic Tips certainly seem to live up to their reputation for delivering match-grade accuracy.  I certainly would try heavier bullets than 140 grain.  150 or 160 grain bullets seem to do well in most rifles.  Your rifle may not like the light and short bullets.  Certainly one of the 7mm Mag's "issues" is that manufacturers tend to allow chambers to get a little sloppy because the cartridge headspaces on the belt.  This may affect the length of the throat also and bullet length or seating depth preferences.  So I think that the 7mm Rem Mag is a bit more "individual" per rifle than most calibers - even other belted ones.

Nosler themselves say that the 150-gr is a real sleeper and often recommend trying it if your rifle doesn't like the other weights.  If all the reloading adjustments don't work, and your bench technique with other rifles gives MOA accuracy - then I certainly would look to other factors in the rifle itself.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2009 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I've done best with very compressed loads of slow,slow,slow WC872 powder under 140gr bullets (as much as 82gr-drop tube required). Granted,this is in a BOSS equipped Abolt,so I can tune it to any load. However this load produced tiny 3 shot groups,was consistent,was cheap (surplus powder),very safe (even highly compressed loads are very low pressure),and had the advantage of 100%+ load density.  It wasn't as fast as say Reloader 22 or other powders optimized for light weight belted magnums,but it was a pretty good load.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I checked the rifle today and it did have the stock touching the barrel lightly, so I pulled it apart and lightly sanded to forward portion of the stock, now it is clear but it could use a good glass bedding with Accra glass.
Link Posted: 12/24/2009 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a basically off the shelf Rem 700 with minimal trigger work and a floated 26" barrel
I use 66.5 grains of Reloder 19, 120gr nosler ballistic tips and that shoots .7" to .8" @100yds off a bench all day long. 200yds Will typically be about 1.5-2" groups.

I could probably bring that in a bit, but hell, for a $400 hunting rifle that's excellent

I pulled the load directly off the alliant website. I haven't shot them through a chrono so I don't have any info in that aspect.

I've had great success with that round for deer.. Dropping them in their tracks that is.. it REALLY tears the shit out of whatever you hit.

Link Posted: 12/26/2009 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Rem 700 in 7mm Rem Mag.  Standard wood stocked BDL model.  I tuned the trigger, and floated the barrel.  I use Federal cases, Rem 9.5M mag primers, and mostly IMR 4350 powder.  I have gotten .25-.5 in groups with Hornady 100gr HP, Sierra 100gr HP, Nosler Ballistic Tips in 120gr, Hornady HPs of 120gr, and Sierra Game King 140gr BTSPs.  Those are my tried and true combos.  

I have some Hornady 162 BTSPs that I couldn't get to group, but retried them with some Retumbo powder and got .75in groups.  I think it may do better.  I will tinker with the load some, and try again.  They did shoot close to .5 with some H4831, but it was a really low load.  

My dad has a Sako, pre-Garcia model, in 7mm Rem Mag, that he won several gold medals in Intl. competition with.  He got really good groups with Hornady 175gr soft points.  His also shoots the 120hps really well.  In his, we used Norma cases, IMR-4350 and R 9.5M primers.  He is also shooting the Sierra Game King 140s really well, with the same combo of powder, case and primer.  

You just have to experiment and burn a lot of powder to find the combo that YOUR rifle will shoot.  My dads and mine won't shoot the same loads, either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top