Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/5/2009 8:57:52 PM EDT
I'm using a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme press; I'd like to raise it up a few inches so that I might move it more towards the center of my bench rather than have it hanging off of the front edge.

I've looked at the Dillon Strong Mount and it looks like it might do the job.  My question- have any of you used a Dillon Strong Mount with your RCBS and what were the results?  My other question- is there a substitute to the Dillon Strong Mount that I've overlooked?  Thanks in advance for your answers.
Link Posted: 7/5/2009 9:25:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Elwood_Blues] [#1]
I would go for a 6" section of I beam from a local fabricator.  Drill 4 holes on the bottom for lag bolts, 2 holes at the top for the press.

Much cheaper, less room on the bench, and probably much stouter.

If you describe your project to the fabricator, you might be able to get it free.
Link Posted: 7/5/2009 11:12:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#2]
This subject has come up a couple of times.

There is a home built one in this Thread.

You will have to look through all the pages. I want to say page 2 to 4, but I could be wrong.

I remember he built an L shaped bench in a corner with his "Strong mount".

edit to get the link to work.
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 9:39:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkGray] [#3]
I made my own "strong mount" for my RCBS Ammo Master press out of some 1/8" mild steel plate.  It took less than an hour cutting it out with the bandsaw, bending it with a metal break and drilling the holes.  I couldn't use two symmetric pieces like the Dillon mount since the Ammo Master uses a three hole bolt pattern, instead I just made one side an 1/8" shorter and overlapped the two and it has worked great.  It is nice and sold, even resizing for the 50bmg.  Once I got it mounted and saw that it worked, I just never took it back apart to paint it, one of these days I may get around to it.

Link Posted: 7/6/2009 9:42:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bartonmd] [#4]

Yep, that's me...

If you've got the facilities to make one, I can send you drawings...

If you don't, I can make you one... PM me, either way...

ETA: It's made of 7ga (0.180") HRS....

Mike
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 10:44:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC223] [#5]
Those are some great looking mounts!
I was looking for some additional press hight and to speed things up a little.
The mount was bent on a break. I then welded a back panel for added rigidity and a place to hang some tray mounts. Then I hit it with some spray paint.
The trays help speed things along quite well. This set up gets things moving as fast as I can keep up. Well until  I go Blue that is.
Anyway here is my rendition of a "strong mount".

Link Posted: 7/6/2009 8:31:02 PM EDT
[#6]
You folks have done a really great job fabricating those mounts.  I'm thinking that this is not beyond my skill level...

Thanks for the recommendations and suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bartonmd:
http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/gallery/1233439552/gallery_991_46_23910.jpg
http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/gallery/1227288309/med_gallery_991_46_68827.jpg

Yep, that's me...

Mike

Thanks for posting the pic again. You were indeed who I was talking about.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/gallery/1233439552/gallery_991_46_23910.jpg
http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/gallery/1227288309/med_gallery_991_46_68827.jpg

Yep, that's me...

Mike

Thanks for posting the pic again. You were indeed who I was talking about.

As a guy I used to work for used to say... "it ain't nothin' but a thang, man"  

Mike
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 6:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
guess I'll have to go snap a picture. I had a thread going about this recently. I was able to score some 1/2" Aluminum plate from my work. cut in half to give me 2 pieces. I used on to make a mounting plate for my rock chucker. then mounted the plate to the dillon strong mounts. Tucked the other plate into a drawer incase I get another rock chucker I can do the same.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#10]
If I understand you correctly, you made an adaptor plate.

One end bolts to the Rockchucker, the other the Strong Mount?

I would like to see a pic.
Link Posted: 7/8/2009 2:33:18 AM EDT
[#11]
will get pics in the morning......just got off work and am heading to bed................basicly, it is a 4.5" x 5.5" Aluminum plate 1/2" thick. measured and marked the two holes for the Rockchucker to be centered. had 3/4" from each edge of the rock chucker to the edge of the plate. this is enough room to drill the holes to mount the dillon strong mounts. bolt everything together and walla............I do not have access to a brake to bend metal, or shear to cut thick sheet (plate)........or a welder..........so I did it the way I could. I cut the plate in half with a hand saw (gotta get me a dewalt 18v Ripsaw!!!!!!!), smoothed out the cut edge on my mini mill. once I marked out were my mounting holes would be, clamped it on the drill press. I may still either duracoat it or have it anodized..........but for now, it is put together and serving me well. I use my rock chucker for dirty work.....form 8mm mauser brass from 30.06 for one....I also mount my bullet puller in there....have a lot of 8mm to take apart..........I am finding it nice to have a single stage press on my reloading bench with the 550.
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I would love to see some pictures of those mounts you made. I want to do something simialr with my single stage.
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Tag.
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 3:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StevesZZ5] [#14]
have two home made "strong mounts"

one for my 550B

one fore my Lee Classic Cast Turret

IF I have time tonight, I'll post some pictures if people want.  They look exactly like a true Strong Mount.  I cut the steel with my Hypertherm plasma cutter, and welded everthing up.  Solid, and it moves my presses back onto the bench nicely.
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Post the pics!
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 3:05:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StevesZZ5] [#16]
I can't right now.  I'm kinda.....nekkid.  
Seriously though, I'll post some when I get up.  

ETA:  Of the presses on the home made strong mounts, I mean.   Not of me naked, lol.
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 11:04:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#17]
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Post the pics!

Easy to make.

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Those are very cool looking. Can't wait to get mine made
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 10:11:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RareBear] [#20]
Some nice pressmounts in this thread.

StevesZZ5:  Good setup, you even have a reloading cat, a rare breed indeed.

Just another idea to present here, it's not a strong mount, but a strong enough mount:

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 1:16:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: txcas] [#21]
I am bringing this thread back to live.  I saw bartonmd's mount on the above pictures as asked him if he could make me one.  I sent him some money and a last week I rececived the mount.  This mount is a work of art and built like a tank.  It is made out of steel and Mike even powder coated it.  This was not a garage hack job, it is definetly the work of a pro.  The mount raises the press about 10" from the top of the bench, making it more comfortable to use.  Here are some pictures of his work:

Mike's mount will also work for the Hornady LNL AP press, it has enough clearance to allow the press to function.  The only thing that needs to be moved is the holes on the top mounting plate.  As soon as I get a chance I will take before and after picturtes of my Rockchucker on Mike's mount.  He is willing to make this mount for other people and I definitely recommend him.  Just PM bartonmd if you want one.  I will probably ask him to make me one for my Hornady LNL AP.

ETA:

I have one of those Kobalt workbenches from Lowes.  Since it has drawers, I was forced to install the press on the right hand corner.  

With the new mount I can put the press pretty much anywere across the front of the bench.

Link Posted: 1/25/2010 4:51:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Looks good! Glad I could help!

Thanks for the plug, BTW!

Mike
Link Posted: 1/25/2010 11:34:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Lot of good info in this thread.

Good post and pics txcas, and nice work bartonmd.
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Thanks, I do what I can...

Mike
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#25]

I like the wooden box "strong" mount, as Im an appartment dweller and lack much space.

That seems like something I can keep in a box in the closet and mount it to a table when needed.

Thanks for the idea
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I can't comment on the RCBS but I modded a tall Dillon strong mount for my Redding T7.  I only had to oval the existing bolt holes in the mount for everything to line up.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 6:45:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrapShooter05] [#27]
Another satisfied bartonmd customer! As you can see in the pics I had to get a top plate for mine. This was due to the differences between the RC Supreme and RCII (thought never crossed my mind till after the fact)... not sure about the other versions (I had to move my press out about 7/8 of an inch). If you request to have one made make sure you determine what version you have. Mike is a top notch guy to deal with! The mount is built like an anvil!

Link Posted: 4/11/2010 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I made sort of an adapter for my Hornady Lock-n-Load AP.  Lacking the tools and experience to make something like this out of metal, I built an adapter from a piece of 2X6.  Wood bolts to Strong Mount, press bolts to wood.  Really sturdy, but I'd prefer a metal adapter...
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 7:33:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TrapShooter05:
Another satisfied bartonmd customer! As you can see in the pics I had to get a top plate for mine. This was due to the differences between the RC Supreme and RCII (thought never crossed my mind till after the fact)... not sure about the other versions (I had to move my press out about 7/8 of an inch). If you request to have one made make sure you determine what version you have. Mike is a top notch guy to deal with! The mount is built like an anvil!

That adaptor looks good! Sorry, I didn't think to ask if you had the current model Rockchucker Supreme!

Could you send me a pic from the side, of the handle mount/base with the ram fully up?

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 4:22:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I made my "strong mounts" for my presses from 1x6 oak board very simple to do and very "strong"
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#31]
This thread is relevant to my interests...
Link Posted: 5/1/2010 8:33:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BSOG1] [#32]
this is cool, im putting my press on the bench right now, and it looks like alot of going with
raising the presses up. i kinda like the press up a little, my bench is 36'' high, but it seems better,
to have the shell plate more aligned to my face, then looking down at it.

and then the press doesn't need to hang off the bench.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Great ideas, thank you.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#34]
does anyone have a link to the guy that makes those mounts ?
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I just have to give it to bartonmd.  Great product, I can't described how pleased I am with it.  He should start a small business with these, no one is selling this type of product.  Thanks again Mike

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:20:57 AM EDT
[#36]
How many rounds an hour can the cat reload?  

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks, Josh! Glad too!

Originally Posted By BSOG1:

Who, what?
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:15:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks, Josh! Glad too!

Originally Posted By BSOG1:

Who, what?

So bumped for the cause
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 4:25:15 PM EDT
[#40]
BartonMD's mount is a quality finished product, and the extra height above the bench is a very nice feature.

I was looking for a slightly different solution.  I stopped by the local welder and perused his scrap pile.  He had a couple sections of 10" I-Beam, heavy suckers, and they worked out pretty sweet.

A section 2' long weighs about 50 pounds, and I figured 50 lbs of steel would stay put all by itself, but I find that when full-length sizing brass it wants to lift, so I put the smallest of C-clamps on the end and that's all I took to make it rock-solid.

I'm going to sandblast off the rust, prime it, and paint it up nice.  I think I'll also add a couple pieces of angle-iron mounted lip-up, so I can hang bins to the right and left, like the Dillon Strongmount.

The one other nice thing about using I-Beam is that my mount is now totally portable––undo the small C-clamp and I can remove the press from the bench or put the mounted press on any tabletop.

Might be an idea if you don't have a dedicated full-time reloading bench or you want to swap out entire presses quickly.

––Eight_Ring
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 7:24:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScottyPotty] [#41]
Here is one I made for the loadmaster - I have since moved on, but the mount remains

I didnt need mine very high since I made the bench higher.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for all the good ideas
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Cool!

I just ordered a 550B and skipped the strong mount because I couldn't stomach paying $50 for something I could make myself for practically nothing.

Thanks for the ideas! Still not sure what kind of design I'm going with.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/15/2011 1:02:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Email inbound to bartonmd

Would sooo like to get one of those mounts made.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 5:47:08 AM EDT
[#46]
email sent to bartonmd
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Mounts for most presses ect.

I don't have the mount but do have some lighting.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 12:37:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 808state] [#48]
You know I always thought the mounts were for progressive presses but after seeing all the single stage presses on them I'm starting to think I may go that route.  It will sure make finding or cleaning things that fall off the press easier to find or clean from the bench top rather than the floor.  And yes area lighting from the above link is a nice upgrade as well:

Link Posted: 6/27/2012 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By 808state:
You know I always thought the mounts were for progressive presses but after seeing all the single stage presses on them I'm starting to think I may go that route.  It will sure make finding or cleaning things that fall off the press easier to find or clean from the bench top rather than the floor.  And yes area lighting from the above link is a nice upgrade as well:

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/d3vnu11/Wet%20Tumbler/photo.jpg

I like the extra lighting.  What'd you use?  Hard to tell from that angle.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 12:02:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By PraesulPresul1:
Originally Posted By 808state:

And yes area lighting from the above link is a nice upgrade as well:

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/d3vnu11/Wet%20Tumbler/photo.jpg

I like the extra lighting.  What'd you use?  Hard to tell from that angle.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top