Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/5/2008 2:02:47 PM EDT
What's the correct load to use to EXACTLY duplicate M855?

How about M193?

What about Mk262?

The price of 5.56 is just to outrageously high compared to standard to low pressure .223 Remington, and I want lot's, and lot's of it, it's gotten to the point where I'm considering reloading just so I can get a few thousand rounds (at a time.) of 5.56 at a decent price.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#1]
You will never duplicate the loads, and simply you do not have access to non canister grades of powder that LC does.  But, what you can do is chrono some the named loads in your gun and work up loads using say H335 for the M855 and M193.  Then look at TAC for the Mk262.  Now, you have realize that trolling for other people's loads is simply fool hearty and down right dangerous.  If you do not have the time and inclination for safe reloading practices, skip it!  Remember that the load also use crimped in primers and virgin brass.  Then search is your friend!
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 3:50:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Plus, you will probably find better loads for your rifle than the factory ones you mentioned above.  My loads will beat any Mk262, M193 or M855 load in my rifle, and I bet a few of my guns with the proper handloads will outshoot anything issued to regular units.

The point here is that is makes no sense to chase non-obtainable Mil-Surp data, when you can load a safe round more accurately.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Why?  Accuracy trumps velocity.  The savings of being able to reuse the brass is the economy of reloading.  Trashing brass on the first 3 loadings is pointless.

Link Posted: 10/5/2008 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why?  Accuracy trumps velocity.  The savings of being able to reuse the brass is the economy of reloading.  Trashing brass on the first 3 loadings is pointless.

I'm looking at personal defense not match grade accuracy, it matters not to me if my group is 1 inch, or 4 as long as I hit the target I'm happy, at ranges where that would matter I would probably be better of not engaging or using a better caliber, because that will probably be outside the Fragmentation range, and I'm not interested in expanders in this caliber, Fragmentation is more effective.

I'm looking at replicating the military loads because they are proven, and are what I really want, but buying the Federal stuff will break me, not to mention that the XM stuff is factory seconds, I.E. not considered to be good enough for issue, and the Black Hills Mk262 is simply unavailable, and when it does appear for sale it's at a truly obscene price, and there's no way I could afford to by any considerable quantity.

If I can't get the same powder that's fine as long as I'm pushing the same projectile at the exact same velocity than I should get the exact same performance, correct?

So what load do I need to exactly REPLICATE those loads?
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 6:17:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are you looking for this sort of info?

www.fortliberty.org/military-library/ballistics-chart.shtml  

www.warrifles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51236  

Aloha, Mark

Thanks, that appears to be the exact data that I needed, is it accurate?

The second link doesn't work though, says I need to register.

Where can I get that powder?

What's the data for Mk262?
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm looking at personal defense not match grade accuracy, it matters not to me if my group is 1 inch, or 4 as long as I hit the target I'm happy, at ranges where that would matter I would probably be better of not engaging or using a better caliber, because that will probably be outside the Fragmentation range, and I'm not interested in expanders in this caliber, Fragmentation is more effective.

I'm looking at replicating the military loads because they are proven, and are what I really want, but buying the Federal stuff will break me, not to mention that the XM stuff is factory seconds, I.E. not considered to be good enough for issue, and the Black Hills Mk262 is simply unavailable, and when it does appear for sale it's at a truly obscene price, and there's no way I could afford to by any considerable quantity.

If I can't get the same powder that's fine as long as I'm pushing the same projectile at the exact same velocity than I should get the exact same performance, correct?

I am afraid that you are chasing the unicorn, and you should be concerned whether you are putting 1" or 4" groups on paper, especially since you are wanting to use them defensively.

Go accurate, speed is a distant second.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, I see.  That goes hand in hand with the "tier system"  And you want to reload it as fast as possible?  Here is a hint, ammo keeps. Buy what you think you will need and use reloads, ACCURATE reloads, for practice.  

Remember, the military uses M855 because it was what they needed back in 1982 with the A2.  It is far from ideal in the M4, IMHO and you can buy more effective bullets than the 62 grain projectile.  Fragmentation is far from ideal be it in pistol or rifle.  Consider Glaser Safety Bullets with their "shot in a jacket" construction.  Load some Sierra 65 grain GKs and try it with a "Box of Truth".

My hunting load for my 20" AR is a Swift 75 grain Sicrocco on top of 25 grains of Varget for 2850 FPS.  It is sub MOA out to 300 yards which is the longest range I would use it.  The BC of .419 means it is still going at 2100 FPS at that distance.  Zeroed at 250 yards, it is 4" low at 300.  While it is still doing 1200 FPS at 1000 yards, it would need ~12 MOA of correction at that distance.

The only way to utilize such long range ammo is to do it.  Even then, the day to day variations in elevation make such shots difficult.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'll rephrase the message:

You cannot replicate military loads.  The End.

The 5.56mm cartridge was designed with a badly undercapacity case.  It takes a case full of exactly the right powder to achieve the specified velocity without going overpressure.  It took America's powder manufacturers years of experimentation to find a way to make that powder consistently.  Even today, every single batch of powder is tested and a new charge specified to meet the specs.  This is a cartridge that is on the very edge of functionality.

The powders and techniques required to reach spec velocities are not usually available to the home loader.  When you can find the right powder, which you sometimes can, it is not necessarily the same as the previous batch.  Trying to load it the same may be bad news.  Unless you have a pressure transducer plugged into your barrel you just don't know, so it is best to play safe.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#10]

The point here is that is makes no sense to chase non-obtainable Mil-Surp data, when you can load a safe round more accurately.

Outstanding statement!

Link Posted: 10/5/2008 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Remember, the military uses M855 because it was what they needed back in 1982 with the A2.  It is far from ideal in the M4, IMHO and you can buy more effective bullets than the 62 grain projectile.  Fragmentation is far from ideal be it in pistol or rifle.  Consider Glaser Safety Bullets with their "shot in a jacket" construction.  Load some Sierra 65 grain GKs and try it with a "Box of Truth".

So I should use a round that would probably give me 4 inches of penetration on a good day?  Glaser Bullets do not have anywhere NEAR the penetration I need.

Quoted:

Outstanding statement!

I don't anticipate any shot's beyond maybe 5 Yards or so for home defense, and as far as SHTF it was learned long ago that the vast majority of combat takes place at 100 Yards or less, the M-4 is capable of that, if only just, and in reality I don't see myself shooting at anything past 25 Yards, even an AR Pistol can handle that.  If I absolutely HAD to engage a (Human) target at range, which I can't think of many scenarios where that would be necessary, I would use a heavier caliber.  So extreme accuracy isn't a big concern for me, if I can reliably hit a head size target at 100 Yards, I'm happy, that said the more Accuracy the better, but I won't sacrifice power for it.  I'm looking for a Defensive round, not a target/Urban Sniping round.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#12]
If I had a dollar for every time this question has come up over the past few years I could buy another black rifle. If you are interested in handloading, great! I suggest you begin by doing a little reading and research on the process and get after it. However, wanting to jump in and begin handloading with the intent of ATTEMPTING to replicate the types of loads you are talking about is foolhardy and downright dangerous...no offense intended. Learn to safely handload and then you can forge ahead and WORK UP the types of loads you are asking about that are SAFE in your rifle. Handloading takes time to learn and time to complete and requires an initial outlay of funds for the proper equipment. If you are not interested in doing it the proper way...I suggest buying what you are looking for. That is cheaper than hospital bills, maimed extremities, loss of eyesight, damaged or destroyed weapons.........if you wish to begin handloading there are numerous posters here willing to answer any questions you might have, however, there is little tolerance for questions such as the one you posted. Nothing personal, we just want you to be safe and have realistic expectations.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#13]
So what our saying is that there is no way to get decent 5.56 performance out of the cartridge, and that I'm stuck with the underpowered .223 SAAMI style rounds?

If I wanted that I would just by a Bunch of Wolf Military Classic, and call it a day, but I want more than that.

There has to be decent powder available, why is the right stuff unobtainable?

I just don't see myself buying 5.56 at Scalpers prices about double what normal .223 goes for, only to have factory seconds just to add insult to injury.  That's not even speaking of Mk262 when I can find it, my God I would need to take out a loan to afford the stuff in any appreciable quantity.  I would want at a bare minimum enough to completely fill an Ammo Can, try pricing that sometime.....
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If I had a dollar for every time this question has come up over the past few years I could buy another black rifle. If you are interested in handloading, great! I suggest you begin by doing a little reading and research on the process and get after it. However, wanting to jump in and begin handloading with the intent of ATTEMPTING to replicate the types of loads you are talking about is foolhardy and downright dangerous...no offense intended. Learn to safely handload and then you can forge ahead and WORK UP the types of loads you are asking about that are SAFE in your rifle. Handloading takes time to learn and time to complete and requires an initial outlay of funds for the proper equipment. If you are not interested in doing it the proper way...I suggest buying what you are looking for. That is cheaper than hospital bills, maimed extremities, loss of eyesight, damaged or destroyed weapons.........if you wish to begin handloading there are numerous posters here willing to answer any questions you might have, however, there is little tolerance for questions such as the one you posted. Nothing personal, we just want you to be safe and have realistic expectations.

I already know my Rifle can take those loads, it was designed for it after all.....  That's also what I currently shoot, and I haven't blown up yet, that's why I'm asking how to PRECISELY duplicate those loads, because there what I want, and I ALREADY know that there safe.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Generally speaking.........

WC 844 is used for 5.56x45
WC 846 is used for 7.62x51

Although, NOT a direct replacement but, CLOSE......WC844(H335) and WC846(BLC2).

As ALWAYS......start low and work your way up.

You'll need a chronograph to be sure of what you're getting.

Accuracy is "Good Enough" for government use.  Bullet choice and Q.C. being big factors.  Especially, when the government needs millions (if not billions) of rounds at a good price.  IF you want Match accuracy, you'll usually need to spend more $.

As for the Mk262 (and variants)............start by looking for a bullet, 77 gr. OTM.

www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/munitions/mk262.htm

From the Black Hills Ammunition site (though they don't say it's the Mk262 Mod 1 spec.):

77 Gr. Sierra MatchKing
Velocity 2750 FPS
Energy 1293 Ft. Lbs

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 10/5/2008 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#16]
What part of good advice do you not understand!  YOU CAN NOT SAFELY REPLICATED THE LOADS PERIOD!  You do not have access to the testing equipment and each lot of powder is different!  So, give it a rest!  EITHER YOU FOLLOW SAFE RELOADING PRACTICES OR YOU SHOULD RELOAD. It obvious that you are NOOB reloader and fail to grasp basic reloading principals!  WHAT IS SAFE IN ONE GUN IS NOT SAFE IN YOURS!
GIVE IT A BREAK!
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I should use a round that would probably give me 4 inches of penetration on a good day?  Glaser Bullets do not have anywhere NEAR the penetration I need.

Quoted:

Outstanding statement!

I don't anticipate any shot's beyond maybe 5 Yards or so for home defense, and as far as SHTF it was learned long ago that the vast majority of combat takes place at 100 Yards or less, the M-4 is capable of that, if only just, and in reality I don't see myself shooting at anything past 25 Yards, even an AR Pistol can handle that.  If I absolutely HAD to engage a (Human) target at range, which I can't think of many scenarios where that would be necessary, I would use a heavier caliber.  So extreme accuracy isn't a big concern for me, if I can reliably hit a head size target at 100 Yards, I'm happy, that said the more Accuracy the better, but I won't sacrifice power for it.  I'm looking for a Defensive round, not a target/Urban Sniping round.

I probably wasn't too clear.  Military ammo fragments even though it is FMJ.  This sometimes helps performance over an FMJ that doesn't.  But you can use EXPANDING BULLETS.   Fragmentation is INFERIOR to proper hunting bullets, hence the piss poor performance of Glaser Safety bullets.

Load a Sierra 65 GK, a 64 Win. Power Point or any other hunting bullet.  Far better.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#18]

What part of good advice do you not understand! YOU CAN NOT SAFELY REPLICATED THE LOADS PERIOD! You do not have access to the testing equipment and each lot of powder is different! So, give it a rest! EITHER YOU FOLLOW SAFE RELOADING PRACTICES OR YOU SHOULD NOT RELOAD. It obvious that you are NOOB reloader and fail to grasp basic reloading principals! WHAT IS SAFE IN ONE GUN IS NOT SAFE IN YOURS!
GIVE IT A BREAK!

*my red.

rn22723,

YES.  Given the various limitations, EXACTLY, isn't likely to happen with a home re-loader.

But, "close enough" may be "good enough."  For him or me.  Without, going for the dictionary definition of the word: EXACTLY.

But then, there have been many here, that have asked the same question.  Only with some small variation to the same theme.  

I choose to point them in a direction in which they could start their "experimentation" on their way to hopefully finding their goal.

How many times has this and various other subjects been brought up, again and again?

You and I know that:  

YMWV,
firearms differ,
experiences differ,
various manuals differ with their load data,
substitution of components can be dangerous,
you have a choice to crimp or not (.223 Rem./5.56 mm),
when dealing with any new load you should start low and work your way up,
you don't copy someone's data or the book's data and expect to see the exact same results,
etc.....

And, YES......sometimes, it still needs repeating.  

Just my .02.  Actually, it FREE advice......so, it only worth that much, if anything at all.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 10/5/2008 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Outstanding statement!

I probably wasn't too clear.  Military ammo fragments even though it is FMJ.  This sometimes helps performance over an FMJ that doesn't.  But you can use EXPANDING BULLETS.   Fragmentation is INFERIOR to proper hunting bullets, hence the piss poor performance of Glaser Safety bullets.

Load a Sierra 65 GK, a 64 Win. Power Point or any other hunting bullet.  Far better.

Glasers "fragments" lack the mass needed for penetration, 5.56 Ball ammo, be it M193, M855, or Mk262 all reach the requisite 12 inches, and then some, look at the gel tests, where it fails it at range when it no longer fragments, THEN expanders become a better choice.  I just see a lot more damage from 5.56 FMJ at close range than Expanders like Hornady TAP.  Not to mention reduced penetration through walls, yes I know it will still go through many, but not as many.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Hornady TAP is NOT designed for hunting.  It only works because it fragments.  Proper hunting bullets with TAPERING jacket thickness/hardness are FAR MORE effective.  Ball ammo is a COMPROMISE based on 1980s Law of Land Warfare Doctrines, none of which you are constrained by.

I USED to run hot loads when I could get good once fired LC brass for $40 a thousand.  Now, brass is too expensive to abuse.  What kind of abuse?  Leaky primers, opened primer pockets, ruptured primers...all for that 3000 FPS with a 69 grain Sierra.  They didn't shoot all that well either.  When taken down to 2800 FPS, they are excellent shooters.

Try a Winchester 64 grain PP over 24 grains of Re 15.  It will be under 1 MOA from a good barrel, even a 1:9" barrel.  And it will exceed the performance of FMJ bullets.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What part of good advice do you not understand!  YOU CAN NOT SAFELY REPLICATED THE LOADS PERIOD!  You do not have access to the testing equipment and each lot of powder is different!  So, give it a rest!  EITHER YOU FOLLOW SAFE RELOADING PRACTICES OR YOU SHOULD RELOAD. It obvious that you are NOOB reloader and fail to grasp basic reloading principals!  WHAT IS SAFE IN ONE GUN IS NOT SAFE IN YOURS!
GIVE IT A BREAK!

What's unsafe about attempting to dupe milspec loads?  Big deal.  You are at, or maybe over, recommended SAAMI max with milspec ammo anyway.  Everybody shits when somebody wants to dupe milspec ammo, and trots out the accuracy-over-velocity BS.
One of the interesting things about reloading is you can do BOTH.

Link Posted: 10/5/2008 11:33:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hornady TAP is NOT designed for hunting.  It only works because it fragments.  Proper hunting bullets with TAPERING jacket thickness/hardness are FAR MORE effective.  Ball ammo is a COMPROMISE based on 1980s Law of Land Warfare Doctrines, none of which you are constrained by.

I USED to run hot loads when I could get good once fired LC brass for $40 a thousand.  Now, brass is too expensive to abuse.  What kind of abuse?  Leaky primers, opened primer pockets, ruptured primers...all for that 3000 FPS with a 69 grain Sierra.  They didn't shoot all that well either.  When taken down to 2800 FPS, they are excellent shooters.

Try a Winchester 64 grain PP over 24 grains of Re 15.  It will be under 1 MOA from a good barrel, even a 1:9" barrel.  And it will exceed the performance of FMJ bullets.

Again, I'm not shooting a high power match, this is intended as a defensive load, range 10 Feet at most, most likely.  25 Yards is my realistic Max range, should the SHTF, maybe you can extend that to 100 Yards, at any rate that's the maximum length of the rifle range here.  If I was trying to win a CMP Match, or competing in 3 Gun I would consider a light super accurate match load.  But I'm talking about ranges of about 10 feet, to a maximum of 100 Yards, I don't need sub-MOA Accuracy for that, if I miss at that range I don't think a Sub MOA Rifle is going to help me.  Even a shot out AK firing the nastiest Wolf ammo you can find can do that.  I like accuracy, I'll take all can get, and I appreciate the help, but I'm willing to sacrifice accuracy in this instance for power, I want maximum possible Fragmentation.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 11:34:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
GIVE IT A BREAK!

What's unsafe about attempting to dupe milspec loads?  Big deal.  You are at, or maybe over, recommended SAAMI max with milspec ammo anyway.  Everybody shits when somebody wants to dupe milspec ammo, and trots out the accuracy-over-velocity BS.

+1 That's exactly what I'm saying.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
GIVE IT A BREAK!

Just keep your cool.  The reason dupe mil spec loads aren't recommended is because a handloader without a lab can't duplicate them with the exact identical components and the ability to lot test.

Couple that with a jackass that doesn't or won't understand the differences in the 5.56X45 and .223 Rem chambers.

Achieving identical muzzle velocity does not mean the load matches the chamber pressure of mil spec ammo, it could well be higher.  On the other hand, safe speeds are possible, but whether they are accurate ain't necessarily so.

I do know the difference in Chambers, a 5.56 Chamber has more room in the shoulder allowing for higher pressure.  Loading 5.56 into a .223 Chamber would be bad.  I do not see the point of running the light .223 SAAMI in a 5.56 Chamber.  ALL my Chambers are 5.56 I insist on it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Though I didnt want to get an EXACT m855 load I wanted to get close. So I bought some H335 and am slowly working my way up in gr. Make up several differnt loads and take them to the range for testing.

As soon as you see signs of to much pressure just stop increasing the powder.

Though I may not be able to exactly replicate the m855 and it pressure/velocity I am hoping to get close enough to make me happy while remaining safe.
Link Posted: 10/5/2008 11:51:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 1:07:02 AM EDT
[#30]
I love stupid people!  They are job security.

To those that do not understand reloading it's hard.

Fact: Each lot of powder used by LC to load ammo is different...so hence in reality there is no EXACT load!  The lot of powder is tested to achieve a spec'd velocity.
Fact: LC uses NON CANISTER GRADES of powder, translated you can not buy it!
Fact: LC uses crimped primers which help wiht dealing with operating pressures....
of course there are times when primed WCC and some LC brass has been available.

Coupled with the idea that some noob reloader things that he can whip out ammo that is the same without testing in his firearms is pure lunacy on his or her part.  SAFETY IS JOB #1

Relaoding is about SAFETY ACCURACY and RELIABILITY
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 2:47:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Meant to edit not quote, delete.
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:22:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Here are my suggestions, and loads, that can offer that may or may not interest you.

Bullets that I use in my ARs:

Sierra 69 grain Match King
Hornady 55 Grain FMJ-BT w/c (Which is by far the superior M193-esque bullet you can buy)
Hornady 68 Grain OTM
Various Hunting Bullets

Powders:

BLC (2)  (Works great under the 55 Grain FMJ-BT w/c...and they have a fast velocity)
H-335    (Same thing...also good under the 68 OTM and 69 MK..in my gun)
Varget    (The right load under the match bullets, and I can knock the eyes out of a
              coyote at reasonable ranges.  Good terminal performance)
RL-15     (works well with the heavier bullets)

Any of the above Hunting bullets and the match bullets will have a more devastating impact on human flesh than M193 or M855.  If you are wanting to stop a living creature from harming you, and are using an AR (or any other 5.56X45mm or .223), your best bet is an expanding bullet.  There is a reason that some units, with approval from key entities, opt for expanding bullets over FMJ, when the mission dictates the need, and they can get away with it.  The Mk262 is just a compromise due to the inability of most service members to utilize a true expanding bullet.

My true *SHTF* loads are Varget under Barnes TSX bullets, I can do most anything with then that I can a FMJ, and they are devastating on living tissue.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 10/6/2008 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I love stupid people!  They are job security.

etc..........

You might just be taking the word EXACTLY too literally.  

You wanna add......

Fact:  LC doesn't just buy any ol' brand of 62 gr. green tip painted w/steel penetrator core bullet and assemble it onto their M855.
Fact:  LC uses virgin components made to their spec. Whereas, you might be able to get ahold of "over runs" or it could be "factory seconds."

As for your calling or implying, that someone is "stupid," with the intent to insult them and your use of the word "NOOB" with the same vigor as the "other N word,"..........well, AeroE has slapped the back of my hand for a lot less.

BTW, it has already been pointed out:

you can't assemble a 5.56X45 load. However you can assemble a .223 Remington load that is a close enough duplicate.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Played out.  Convince me via IM that the thread should be reopened.
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#35]
set archive toggle
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
GIVE IT A BREAK!

As someone that has loaded ammo safely for over 20 years it is possible to achieve the same velocities as the military loads . I actually own all the testing equipment and have been loading this way for a long time . There are numerous published loads that will get you there and have pressure data with them . Pretty much everything published by IMR and Hodgen are accurate in velocity and pressure IF you are using the same length barrel they did . Why most people have problems achieving the velocity is that most of the data comes from longer test barrels and most shooters are shooting guns with shorter barrels and expecting the same velocity .

Link Posted: 11/22/2009 12:41:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Everyone seems to get really excited over this topic, the answer is simple and has been said by almost everyone. Read a reloading manual and follow it exactly or you may risk serious bodily injury or death to yourself and those around you. The people who write those manuals know what they are talking about. Military spec ammo is really nothing great, its just like any handgun ammo that is labeled "LAW ENFORCEMENT ONLY" somehow its the magic bullet that everyone wants and alwys seems to cost twice as much. I would assume that by wanting a mill spec load you are after the best accuracy and performance. This can only be achived by closely following a reloding manual and using a crono, by doing so  you will likely exceed the performance of the mill spec rounds in all areas including cost. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 2:33:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Pick up some European loading manuals and find a load with 77gn Nosler or Sierra HPBT and work up that load.  CIP pressure is ~62k psi, NATO 58,750 psi,  ,SAAMI 55k psi.  Using NEW LAPUA cases is advisable!  Getting a rem 700 chambered the same as your AR (I'm assuming your wanting this for your ar) and doing load development in that gun would be a good thing (/MFS), it's a 3 rings of steel thing! :P  No but really the Rem 700 design is the safest when you pop a case head at the breach face unlike an AR!  It's possible to do this type of load development but you gotta have your head screwed on straight cause popping a case head in an AR is a kaboom (not case separation but popping at the primer and venting full chamber pressure back into the action, the AR has no way to deal with this).
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 2:38:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I do know the difference in Chambers, a 5.56 Chamber has more room in the shoulder allowing for higher pressure.  Loading 5.56 into a .223 Chamber would be bad.  I do not see the point of running the light .223 SAAMI in a 5.56 Chamber.  ALL my Chambers are 5.56 I insist on it.

Actually the 5.56 chamber has a longer throat with a shallower angle, nothing is different with the shoulder and this difference in the throat creates lower pressure with a given load.  To be honest you don't know.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Loaded, starting with 63 g data, so 25.5 Varget and only hit close to 2700 FPS, in a LMT Cabine that DID reach 3000 FPS using factory M855

IMHO, I am not going to be able to get near 3000 fps with powders I have and am not that interested in 3000 fps to chase powders.

The load was accurate at the short distance I was testing, so I have to see what it does at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 7:18:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Maryland Shooter,

What is up with resurrecting these old threads?
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Why?  Is that a problem?
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#43]
oops didn't notice how old this thread was, sorry....

-dave
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 8:43:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I think some people with little experience ask questions.....
and people with lots of experience answer them....
and the answers cannot be understood until and asker gains more experience.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Go buy yourself a 12 ga. with a 10-shot extended mag and alternate 00 buckshot with No. 4 magnums and stick it under your bed for self-defense. That ought to take care of your paranoid delusions.

Then have fun reloading good ammo for your AR.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually the 5.56 chamber has a longer throat with a shallower angle, nothing is different with the shoulder and this difference in the throat creates lower pressure with a given load.  To be honest you don't know.

Good to know
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Its not that you guys cannot dupelicate M193 or M855 and even safely at that.  The components are very much available.  Widners has bullets.  Every once and a while you see WC844 for sale.

The Ichord report lists the trouble that the military and manufactureres had creating M193.  Yes it took them a while.

I am learning that powder is a difficult thing to produce consitantly or it would seem from everyones experiences.  I would like to see the powder measuring system at lake city now and back in the day.  Nobody had computers and it worked so it had to be good.

When developing the ammo manufactueres got clearance to raise the maximum allowable pressure inside the M16s chamber.  223 seems to be standardized before that by the manufactuers but the military wanted faster and faster ammo.  

I would not rely on a crono alone to duplicate M193.  What if the powder lots of WC844 you find are rejected lots that do not obtain the target pressure and velocity.  What if the target pressure is just over a bit and then you hit your target velocity.  Bad news could happen.

Military powder lots are tested for pressure.  Other things effect pressure and velocity too.  Bullet seating is a thing effecting pressure.  Granted you could cut all your cases the same and then that measurment would go away aslong as you seated correctly.  

I imagine the powder measuring equipment at lake city can go down to atleast .01 of a grain.  I was looking at the 25 automatic loads in my hornady book and a fraction of a grain of powder can cause a unsafe condition and increase the velocity by a hundred or more.

I the best thing us reloaders can hope for is creating a high pressure 223/low pressure 5.56.  This is what I intend to do.  I think something between 3000 and 3100 out of a 20 inch barrel using H335 would be decent for a reloader.  I we will not beable to get near military loads unless we have a pressure tranducer/barrel velocity setup.
Link Posted: 2/6/2011 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I load exclusively with WC844 and I would be leery of 28.1grs. in the lot I am using.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Loaded, starting with 63 g data, so 25.5 Varget and only hit close to 2700 PSI, in a LMT Cabine that DID reach 3000 FPS using factory M855

IMHO, I am not going to be able to get near 3000 fps with powders I have and am not that interested in 3000 fps to chase powders.

The load was accurate at the short distance I was testing, so I have to see what it does at 100 yards.

Edit, read you post is misleading. Im guessing you meant 2700 FPS
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top