Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2011 8:01:05 PM EDT
Ive got a microtech scarab with a double edge blade but Iam really wanting a single edge. Im not crazy about microtechs single edge blade so Id like to make my own. I work in a tool and die shop so Iam using scrap we have. I can use A2, D2, M2, M4, H13 and S7. Iam leaning towards D2 with a 60-62 Rc. I'll be sending it to the people who do our heat treat so it will get their standard treatment nothing fancy. Anyone care to chime in on material choice and heat treat?
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 5:08:49 AM EDT
[#1]
i've got no idea, but i would like to see it when you're done...
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 5:43:41 AM EDT
[#2]
d2 is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i've got no idea, but i would like to see it when you're done...

+1
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 10:53:14 AM EDT
[#4]
If it's CPM M4, then that is some of the gnarliest shit ever to have been smelted. I have a friend with a Ken Onion custom bowie in CPM M4 that holds an edge better than any knife I have ever seen. M4 is the new "super steel". Be prepared to take forever grinding the bevels and use up at least 6-8 belts in the process. As well as never being able to polish up the surface to a smoother finish than about 600 grit, too many carbides for it to come out even. It would be awesome after all the work though!
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I have m4 and might have com m4 but I worry about brittleness with m4 and thin blade. I know I wont be prying anything with it but od seems to be a tad tougher. I could be wrong.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Btw, ill be surface grinding the bevels on prior to heat treat. I've heard too much heat wont hurt if its prior to heat treat.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:30:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Of what you have available, I'd have a hard time not using M2.

And please PLEASE PLEASE post pics when you are done. !
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Why m2 over m4.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, Ive got a big chunk of M4(not cpm) that was scrapped out years ago. I'll have to mill it down to roughly 1x5x.125"s. Ive turned and ground alot of D2,M2,M4 and cpmM4. Making punches and having to polish some areas to a 4rms finish can be a chore with high speed. D2 is not so bad. M2 is a little tougher to polish. M4 is nearly impossible using good sandpaper. A 12" debur wheel does a good job but you have to take your work out of the machine. CPM-M4 is similar to M2 and can be polished with some effort using good sandpaper. CPM-M4 is also easier to hard turn than regular M4.
I talked to our heat treat guy today and he said M4 would make a great blade. I told him about my concerns with brittleness and he said they usually triple temper M4 which helps with this. The good thing is Ive got a punch to make soon out of M4 that requires triple temper so I can send my blade in with it. I'll just have to get on the ball and get the blade ready sooner than I thought.
For blade geometry Iam thinking a wharncliffe style with a flat grind but I'll leave enough meat on the spine of the blade to make sharpening with a lansky or other kit easy to grip.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why m2 over m4.

Quoted:

Didn't notice the m4.....use that
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, the scarab has been disassembled and the new blade material rough cut. If you cant tell from the crappy cell phone pics Iam cutting a slab from bar stock.

BTW, if you open up your OTF microtech it becomes apparent real quick why they are so much:

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't forget you'll have to sharpen it regularly.  Everyone wants a Supersteel - until it comes time to sharpen it.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Don't forget you'll have to sharpen it regularly.  Everyone wants a Supersteel - until it comes tome to sharpen it.

Iam anxious to find out. All I'll have in the project is time so its win/win from my perspective. Like I said Ive polished many tool and high speed steels and M4 is a bitch to take material off of once hard. I hope that translates into edge durability.

Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Don't forget you'll have to sharpen it regularly.  Everyone wants a Supersteel - until it comes time to sharpen it.  

Regular sharpening is not required with properly treated M4. My friends bowie referenced above is zero ground and still has the same untouched edge it came with a few years ago. After cutting through trees, water bottles and every other thing it will still slice a piece of notebook paper in half in mid-air. An edc knife that is used to cut paper, boxes, tape and other similar stuff won't need sharpening for several months at the least.

It's this knife with G10 grips and M4 instead of damascus.

I'd also recommend using Paul Bos for the heat treat

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:44:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Got alot done recently. It will most likely go out to heat treat this week. Still has a little grind stock before finish and Iam going to try to polish it more before and after heat treat. The pics show the various stages.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#16]
WW
That's really well done
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I know the design is sort of funky. I machined it around the desire for a good blade to open letters, boxes and general light work yet retain its ability to puncture. Both secondary angles are 7 degrees each side which is less than the original blade.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:02:59 AM EDT
[#18]
that's pretty cool, mang
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Looking great

Hell you could probably even make a little money doing those
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#20]
That is badass! I'd love to have a chisel ground tanto blade for one of those.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Hopefully heat treat brings the blade back tomorrow. I recontoured the top edge so it wasn't as blunt and reground the bottom edge more. I'll get some pics if it comes in.

Link Posted: 3/20/2011 5:33:13 PM EDT
[#22]
pretty sweet, mang
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Its done for the most part. I might go back and polish it more. I had to really rework the point because I made it a tad too long. Works great though.

This first pic is after heat treat and prior to any work:

The serrations on the top are just for looks. They are not sharp.

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#24]
That is outstanding work! Well done. Im very impressed.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks. Here are some better pics with my camera instead of cell:

Link Posted: 3/22/2011 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Any more or less bladeplay than before?
Link Posted: 3/22/2011 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Any more or less bladeplay than before?

A little less. I had to relieve it some because of more contact area.

Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top