Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/24/2006 5:03:05 PM EDT
OKay, I have 3 B-B-Q propane tanks......They are all going to get "exploded"!!!

My question is...What is the best way to accomplish this?

I HAVE:

1.) 3 full propane tanks
2.) .50 incendiary rounds
3.) gasoline

....Do I need anything else? How should it all be set up to ensure the best "show"?

I know some of you have to be experts at this sorta thing so I figured I'd ask the "Fifty Crew"
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#1]
An ignited road flare nearby the tank to make sure it explodes, should the incendiary round not accomplish it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
personally, I'd use spotter/tracer to get that first flash on impact

i've got about 25 ea of tracer and S/T to try this very same thing on some old propane tanks around my friend's property.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Make sure to post pics and +1 for the road flare.  It also adds safety to it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
What is a spotter tracer round used for? Oh yeah post some picks.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 12:58:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't have a .50 (yet), so I'm lurking here. I have done this with a .308 and incendiary, though. I just put a coffee can with a gas/diesel mix next to the propane tank with a steel plate behind it. I shoot that with the incendiary, then the tank is engulfed in flame. Then a plain old fmj will torch off the tank. It's pretty cool. be careful. And have fun.

PS-I'm really impressed with this forum. So far nobody has chimed in the grandma role,"why would you do that? Guns aren't toys! You are very irresponsible!". I hate that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:14:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey will  the propane tank fly around if it is not secure.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:20:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I blow up the mini- Coleman tanks all the time. All you need is a road flare right next to the propane tank. Do not even bother to waste your incidary rounds. The bullet puts a hole in the tank and the gas escapes and hits the flare. WHOOSH! The tanks move a little bit this way but, they do not "blow up".
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:22:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'm really impressed with this forum. So far nobody has chimed in the grandma role,"why would you do that? Guns aren't toys! You are very irresponsible!".  

As long as its legal, and with all safety in mind,.... I doubt you would hear very much of that at all here.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:39:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Just remember to be verrry far away. There is footage of a guy at a shoot blowing up a washing machine with tanerite. A chunk o steel comes sailing back, and puts a three inch gash in his trucks fender. It passed right close to the camera man.
It was less than 50 metres from the shooter. SO be careful, and come back to us in one piece. PS...... I hear a freezer bag filled with unleaded and a road flare near by makes a mushroom cloud when hit with a 223...... Just something I heard... Then we helped put out the tree.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:48:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just remember to be verrry far away. There is footage of a guy at a shoot blowing up a washing machine with tanerite. A chunk o steel comes sailing back, and puts a three inch gash in his trucks fender. It passed right close to the camera man.
It was less than 50 metres from the shooter. SO be careful, and come back to us in one piece. PS...... I hear a freezer bag filled with unleaded and a road flare near by makes a mushroom cloud when hit with a 223...... Just something I heard... Then we helped put out the tree.

Link
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:51:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, you could put in a fire with a keg, best take cover though.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=510841
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:08:06 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, you could put in a fire with a keg, best take cover though.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=510841

WOW!
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What is a spotter tracer round used for? Oh yeah post some picks.

Aiming guidance...  it produces a flash/shower of sparks on impact in addition to a bright tracer... you can see the point of impact easier at distances.. i bought a few bags of the S/T projos from Cabelas when they accidentally marked them on sale for $12 a bag (I'm a dick, so I made them honor it )  We'll see what happens to a 10lb propane tank with one of these badboys
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#14]
SIITPTAPP!!!

(Shoot it in the Propane Tank and post pictures)
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#15]
tagged for hilarity and DIY instructions......
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Actually, the best way to blow-up a propane tank is not to shoot it at all (less fun of course).  Place the tank on a camp-type fire and wait (at a safe distance---like 600 yds).  When the propane boils and generates enough pressure to burst the tank, the gas is immediately vaporized, and has enough heat to react with any oxygen present.  The fireball is quite a bit quicker than shooting it with a road flare nearby.  Though, my brother has done that using a .416 Rigby with good effect.

Stay safe, but have fun,

Dave.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Post some pics! We want this thing to explode, not just shoot flame!

Anyone ever done any Sobe bombs?
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#18]
if any of you guys have access to a muffler/auto shop with cutting torches, a balloon full of O2 makes a damn nice report
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I used to fill those 1/2 gallon juice cans with diesel. I would add a wick made from a terry towel and light it. Once it was burning well I would shoot it with a .22.

Quite the fireball!
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#20]
thou shalt not waste God's Gas.

that was on the tablet that Moses dropped.................
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow! Thanks for all the replies guys!

I'm going to wait to do this untill I can borrow my buddies digital cam.(video)
Then I'll post the video. I'll most likely be hitting it from about 500yds. and taking all neccessary safety precautions.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
thou shalt not waste God's Gas.

that was on the tablet that Moses dropped.................

"I give you these fifteen (crash!)... err... uh, ten commandments!"  - HOTW Part 1
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 11:33:59 AM EDT
[#23]
You've got to get some tannerite in there, somewhere
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I see from your original post that you have "3 full propane tanks".  Do you have any that are (i.e. appear to be) empty?

Then, like the above poster mentioned, you should really try getting "some tannerite [up] in there".
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I see from your original post that you have "3 full propane tanks".  Do you have any that are (i.e. appear to be) empty?

Then, like the above poster mentioned, you should really try getting "some tannerite [up] in there".

Oh great! More evil ideas....
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Back in the day (1995ish), me and some friends traveled to a local shooting /clay pit. When we arrived there, we doused a small coleman camping tank with gas, then would leave a 40 foot gas trail.  One idiot would light up the gas trail and a few seconds later another idiot would fire a round into the burning coleman tank.

So far, so good...

The first few cans were pretty cool to watch detonating however, on the fourth tank, we got a little surprise. After being pierced by the bullet, the tank rose about 6 feet off the ground and then shot (at what seemed to be supersonic speeds) about 80 yards back towards me and my friend's trucks (parked about 10 feet apart). As the tank traveled between the trucks, it missed my friend's head by a couple of feet.

That was our sign from God that what we were doing wasn't very smart and that we should quit while we still could.      
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Back in the day (1995ish), me and some friends traveled to a local shooting /clay pit. When we arrived there, we doused a small coleman camping tank with gas, then would leave a 40 foot gas trail.  One idiot would light up the gas trail and a few seconds later another idiot would fire a round into the burning coleman tank.

So far, so good...

The first few cans were pretty cool to watch detonating however, on the fourth tank, we got a little surprise. After being pierced by the bullet, the tank rose about 6 feet off the ground and then shot (at what seemed to be supersonic speeds) about 80 yards back towards me and my friend's trucks (parked about 10 feet apart). As the tank traveled between the trucks, it missed my friend's head by a couple of feet.

That was our sign from God that what we were doing wasn't very smart and that we should quit while we still could.      

sounds about like what happened to us... not quite as violent, but the bottle we were shooting at was in a ditch about 30' down elevation and about 70 yards away...  we saw it and ducked, and the tank came spinning end over end and richocetted off the table we were sitting at before zooming into a low earth orbit...  

We stopped, but only because we figured we needed tracers to set em off instead of launching them
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I shot a propane tank with an incendiary about 3 weeks ago.

Hate to disappoint, but just shooting it won't make it explode. In my instance it punched a hole through both sides and ignited a fire...exiting out of both sides! Besides the hole through the tank; it was perfectly intact.

It was cool as hell and I am definitely doing it again, but was kind of disappointing.

Have it secure, because it will fly around.

Next time I am going to Duct Tape 3lbs of Tannerite to the side of the tank...that should do the trick.

Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm going to give myself a little motivation here and post a pic from the AZ HTF.

12 guage 00buck as I understand it.........also this takes a little more "balls" than I have, but am willing to witness similar results from a few hundred meters away!

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:20:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So far, so good...

sounds about like what happened to us... not quite as violent, but the bottle we were shooting at was in a ditch about 30' down elevation and about 70 yards away...  we saw it and ducked, and the tank came spinning end over end and richocetted off the table we were sitting at before zooming into a low earth orbit...  

We stopped, but only because we figured we needed tracers to set em off instead of launching them

If you are even a halfway decent tack/spot welder, you could rig up some kind of guide/sled/tube apparatus and point it at something.........
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#31]
The most fun I've had with a 50 is shooting spray paint cans (full) with API, APIT, Incendiary or Spotter-tracer. You typically gat about a 6 ft fireball.

The Trick is to set the paint can in front of a steel plate so that you get a flash to ignite the paint as it starts to spray from the gaping hole.

Its a lots sheaper than propane and these always go off.

As to adding Tannerite the explosion process, the only thing that I've seen tannerite do is blow all the available air away from explosion, hence no fireball.

Knobcreek, They use a 55 gallon drum, 1 to 2 lbs of tannerite, a road flare and about 10 gallons of diesel or gas.

Tannerite busts the barrel and vaporizes the fuel and the road flare lights it Equals a huge fireball (10-20 feet dia)

Jason
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I am thinking of getting a 55 gallon plastic drum and drilling a small hole it just large enough to fit a valve stem in it.  Put a gallon of gas in the drum, seal it up, pressurize to about 10 psi and shoot at it with a road flare in front of it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#33]
i totally forgot to add.... a good filler for flame and fireballs is non-dairy coffee creamer... makes a nice fireball if you can get it to expand quickly
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#34]
This is going to be good.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
i totally forgot to add.... a good filler for flame and fireballs is non-dairy coffee creamer... makes a nice fireball if you can get it to expand quickly

Plain old flour is good too.

One pound flour
One reactive tannerite target
One gallon gas
One road flare.

Duct tape it all together with the tannerite up front so you can hit it.  Light the flare, get away and shoot it.  Hollywood car crash!
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One pound flour
One gallon gas
One road flare.

Duct tape it all together with the tannerite up front so you can hit it.  Light the flare, get away and shoot it.  Hollywood car crash!

Have you ever seen a grain elevator go 'boom' (or its aftermath)?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One pound flour
One gallon gas
One road flare.

Have you ever seen a grain elevator go 'boom' (or its aftermath)?

Yes.  Summers from college I worked one 'blowing dust'.  They showed us a video of what dust in the air does when ignited.  A grain elevator is a very long slow explosion and that's why they're so devastating.  Initial blast creates more dust and thus more fuel in the air to ignite, continuing until there's only a crater with chinamen looking up at you

Now you know where the flour idea from
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:40:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Ha.  I figured, but thought I'd ask.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Two 30 Gal drums pressurized with a gallon of gas in each and a propane tank and none of them made a boom.

First drum was pressurized to 6 psi and the second 12.  Had a fire going right in front of them both and placed the bullets about 6 inches from the bottom of the barrels.  Both just went "woosh" and that was it.  The 12 psi barrel made the entry hole about 5 times larger than the 6 psi barrel.

The propane tank was set next to the fire as well.  The escaping gas just knocked the tank over and it spewed propane into the air and did nothing.  :(
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:42:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Should the fire have been *behind* the drums?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#41]
tag for fire
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't think where the fire was would have mattered.  I am back at the drawing board right now.  ANY help would be appreciated.  I really want to blow something up.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#43]
How about a disposable oxygen tank or two (Home Depot or Lowe's welding section) strapped to the tank at the point of aim?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I don't think where the fire was would have mattered.  I am back at the drawing board right now.  ANY help would be appreciated.  I really want to blow something up.

HEY!...This is MY thread!   J/K

I'm thinking of optimal explosive ways myself......I'll post pics and hopefully video when that time comes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Don't need no road flares, just the tank and the incendiaries.  Just make sure there is some rock behind the tank:

Yes, this is me (Shot during hunting trip, hence the clothes)
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:00:06 AM EDT
[#46]
PC: Acct has been suspended.......
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:07:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Not my account.  Somone over on Serbu forums was hosting it.  Oh well, it was simiply me with a serbu BFG, shooting a coleman bottle in a gravel pit with incendiary ammo.  I guess the incendiary punctured the tank then ignited on the rocks behind it.  Made about a 10 foot high fireball, and sent the bottle shooting through the air.  I then exclaimed "Yeeeehaaawww!  Holy shit!".

Maybe I should upload it to youtube...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:33:13 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not my account.  Somone over on Serbu forums was hosting it.  Oh well, it was simiply me with a serbu BFG, shooting a coleman bottle in a gravel pit with incendiary ammo.  I guess the incendiary punctured the tank then ignited on the rocks behind it.  Made about a 10 foot high fireball, and sent the bottle shooting through the air.  I then exclaimed "Yeeeehaaawww!  Holy shit!".

Yes, Yes you should.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DO IT!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:24:36 AM EDT
[#50]
tag for outcome...

a brief story regarding safety...  when i first started shooter centerfire rifles i loved punching holes in things that were never meant to recieve a bullet...  i shot everything that was legal to shoot.  at an auction i was able to pick up a case of rusty, but unused and fully charged propane cylinders.  you know, the little blue ones for campfire lights and propane torches, etc.  

i built a fire underneath them and lined a few up on a row above the fire by an elaborate system of clothes lines, etc.  it was after dark because i wanted the full effect of flame.  i shoot the first few and there was no flame and all i heard was hissing and stuff flying around me.  i was so stupid i didn't realize my trusty 7mag was putting a 7mm hole on one side of the can and a 2" hole on the backside.  apparently propane, much like water and electricity, takes the path of least resisitance.  thus, the propane cans were flying towards me about as fast as i was shooting them...  after realizing the cans were nearly taking my head off and that they weren't some psycho bats, i took cover for the rest of my shooting spree.

never did get any flame, but i did learn some basic physics and also when a propane cylinder is emptied in a few seconds it puts on a full 1/4" layer of ice.  DON'T WALK OVER LIKE A DOLT AND TRY AND PICK IT UP...  got burnt once doing that during my little experiment too...

anyway, the point of this is safety.  read my story, and do the opposite of what i did and you'll probably be fine...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top