Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2008 6:56:41 PM EDT
Does anyone have a copy of the letter from ATF saying it's okay to modify an AR lower to fit a RLL or RDIAS ?   Basically cutting more clearance to fit the corners of the link, or lowering the shelf in the back?

I just picked up an armalite lower (high shelf) and want to be sure my ducks are all in a row.    ATF letter, statement, policy, etc stating this is an acceptable practice and doesn't constitute making a new MG - we're talking clearance cuts inside, not drilling a hole.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Not to butt in but it is my understanding that all ruling letters only apply to the sender only.  I would imagine that you can modify the lower as you need to.  But if you want to be absolutely sure, you could write to the Tech Branch.

Scott
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not to butt in but it is my understanding that all ruling letters only apply to the sender only.  I would imagine that you can modify the lower as you need to.  But if you want to be absolutely sure, you could write to the Tech Branch.

Scott

This would be false. The 14th Amendment to the Constitution provides for Equal Protection of the Law to all. Never mind the fact that it is the ADA that determines who gets prosecuted, not the BATFE. The letters are just opinion letters, nothing more. I have at least 5 that are contradictory.

Back to the OP.

I have never seen a letter about that. I have seen many a letter stating modifying a lower to facilitate F/A makes it a NFA lower. Be careful what you ask for.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 6:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
just buy a lower that will work with a RDIAS.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top