Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2007 4:32:17 PM EDT
My TAC-65, which I took possession of 3 months ago, has gained a total of 1 ounce in the last two range trips.  It now has a total weight of 5.7 ounces.  

I disassembled it before I shot it and anti-ceased the end caps, so getting the end caps won't be the problem.  The problem is removing the lead from the baffles (I don't have a blast cabinet.)

Is there an alternative method for removing the lead from the baffles?  Or should I try to find a machine shop that'll blast the baffles for me?
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You could look at this as a prime opportunity to buy a small blast cabinet.  

They're actually pretty handy things to have.  With one, suddenly those rusty mower parts aren't such a pain in the ass.

Besides, you never pass up an opportunity to buy more tools.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:02:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Surely there's a good way to do that, even in a sealed can.

How about Shooters Choice lead remover?

Boiling water maybe?

Soaking overnight in some kind of parts cleaner?

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I used a wire brush, a shit load of cleaner and elbow grease. It took me awhile. I was also about 3000 rounds late in cleaning it too. It needed it A LONG time ago.

I think I may try to find some wire brush bits for my dremel and go at it.  A blast cabinet would be great, but I have no where in my garage-less townhouse to put it.

I put almost 1500rds in one day on my can.  Mostly rapid fire, between 3-6 BDM mags in a row.  My first baffle has a thick layer of lead on it.  This is going to take some effort.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I clean mine 'wet' as I don't relish the thought of breathing in any more lead dust that I already do.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I fill mine with "Ed's Red" and plug the ends. Let it sit for a while, with an occasional good shaking.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I clean mine 'wet' as I don't relish the thought of breathing in any more lead dust that I already do.

Point taken.  Face mask is now on my list.

Quoted:
I fill mine with "Ed's Red" and plug the ends. Let it sit for a while, with an occasional good shaking.

Does this breakdown the lead build up?
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't think the Ed's red does much.  I soak my can in a clear glass jar of Ed's red.  There is no debris in the bottom of the jar.  It has been in the solution for months, collectively.  

When I take it out, I do hit it with 100psi compressed air, so that may get some stuff out, but no chunks.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I said "boiling water maybe?".

Duh, the melting point of lead is >600 degrees
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I don't think the Ed's red does much.  I soak my can in a clear glass jar of Ed's red.  There is no debris in the bottom of the jar.  It has been in the solution for months, collectively.  

When I take it out, I do hit it with 100psi compressed air, so that may get some stuff out, but no chunks.

I do the same but a ton of shit falls out of mine. I do get a few chuncks now and then.

If I'm able to dissamble, I soak the baffels in Eds red then use a small wire bursh to clean it off. The dremmel threw the black mess everywhere.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I have all the baffles out and am ready to get to dremeling.  Here are some pics of my 3 month old .22lr suppressor.  This is going to be fun.

The last photo is the first baffle on the threaded side of the can (facing the threads).  

ETA:  The red stuff is just some dirt from my work bench

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 11:32:15 PM EDT
[#15]
What can do you have steezo757? Never mind

Approximately how many rounds do you have through it at that point, total?
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 5:29:46 AM EDT
[#16]
thanks you just reminded me to clean my tac65.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What can do you have steezo757? Never mind

Approximately how many rounds do you have through it at that point, total?

At the most, 4500rds.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Well it took me two hours yesterday and an hour today to get the baffles somewhat clean.  When I started this thread on Sat in weighed in at 5.7oz.  Well I took it out to the range on Sun and it gained another 0.4oz making the total 6.1oz at the time the photos was taken.

A small chisel and a lot of elbow grease was the most effective way to get the bigger chunks off.  Then hit it with the dremel to try get the rest of it.  The dremel is actually very slow in taking this stuff off.

It now weighs in at 4.4oz. OEM spec is 4.1oz.  Maybe next time I'll try to find a machine shop to blast them for me.

It's ready to get filled up again!!!

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 2:05:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Did you ever clean it any other way, like soaking it in solvent?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Did you ever clean it any other way, like soaking it in solvent?

After 2 range trips, I soaked it in WD-40 for approx 5 days.  Then I took it apart and the small build up present, was solid.  It was still difficult to scrape off.  At that point the build up wasn't too much, so I slapped it back together.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Great now I got to get the stuff to take mine apart
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I've pretty much given up.  I have not come across anything that will take large deposits of lead out of a suppressor except for elbow grease.

Nowadays I just shoot the living crap out of it and send it back to the mfg every now and them and let them deal with it.  It's more than worth the money it costs me to send it in.  However I shoot at least 5K rounds a week of full auto rimfire.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I've pretty much given up.  I have not come across anything that will take large deposits of lead out of a suppressor except for elbow grease.

Nowadays I just shoot the living crap out of it and send it back to the mfg every now and them and let them deal with it.  It's more than worth the money it costs me to send it in.  However I shoot at least 5K rounds a week of full auto rimfire.

This is my plan too.  I bought a sealed can, so I really don't have a choice.  I do plan to buy a second can prior to sending mine back.  I don't want to be without supressed .22 goodness for a minute.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I'm starting to think the same thing.  I wouldn't shoot 5K of .22 in a year (well, I might once I get a can), so I think I might just get a sealed can and send it in for cleaning once a year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top