Posted: 1/20/2002 4:50:35 PM EDT

How many rounds is considered fast for a pump in
lets say 5 seconds into a 15 feet sillouette target
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
All of them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#2]
To coin an age old phrase, "you can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight". Please mount the shotgun properly and go for accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
All of them.

I'll have to agree with QS. I grew up on a shotgun and I can deliver accurate, aimed fire damn near as fast as somebody with an auto and I'll always bet on myself.

I'm hell on birds come dove season.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
So whats considered fast?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I have an Ithaca Model 37 with slamm fire and can unload all 5 shells into a sillouette at 15 feet center mass in about 3 seconds.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I read an article recently in Front Sight magazine (USPSA official publication) where the guy was in pursuit of the fastest action on a shotgun because he kept pulling the trigger on his Benelli M1 so fast the hammer would follow the bolt.  I believe he determined the theoretical speed limit on the Benelli was about .13 seconds per shot -- the guy was doing five shots in .56 of a second with a Winchester SX2 when he was just seeing how fast he could shoot.  So when shooting at steel at 12 to 15 yards the guy was going about .13-.15 per shot.

Seems fast to me.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Whoops -- sorry guy, just realized you asked about a PUMP --- Dohhhhh!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I shoot sporting clays with my 870 pump.  The people that don't know me and see me shoot can't believe how fast that I can shoot.  I mean these people have o\u and autos, and they say that I shoot as fast or faster than they do.  And yes, I can hit them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#9]
i used to think one could shoot a pump as fast as anyone could control a shotgun. then i got my benelli. for a great demo, get ahold of the video tape sent to dealers when the m1s90 tactical came out. i got that tape in last years gift xchange. it is so awsome, i had never seen shotgun fire power like that. i belive the shooter was one of HKs boys.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I read an article recently in Front Sight magazine (USPSA official publication) where the guy was in pursuit of the fastest action on a shotgun because he kept pulling the trigger on his Benelli M1 so fast the hammer would follow the bolt.  I believe he determined the theoretical speed limit on the Benelli was about .13 seconds per shot -- the guy was doing five shots in .56 of a second with a Winchester SX2 when he was just seeing how fast he could shoot.  So when shooting at steel at 12 to 15 yards the guy was going about .13-.15 per shot.

Seems fast to me.  

Holy cow, Batman, that equals a cyclic rate of 540 rpm, about that of a good controllable SMG.  That boy NEEDS a high cap mag.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So whats considered fast?

Less than 1 second per round.

Start shooting steel courses - you'll get a whole lot faster.

Practice is what prevents short stroking. Utimately, there is rearward pressure on the foregrip and as the round is fired the action is already in motion, the swing to the next target is completed, as action locks back into place - repeat.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

How many rounds is considered fast for a pump in
lets say 5 seconds into a 15 feet sillouette target

All 8 that the shotgun holds.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 2:01:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Back in "my day" as an IPSC shooter and bowling pin shooter, I could clear the table of 5 pins in 3 seconds or under with 5 clean centered hits. My best was 2.49 seconds. This was with a Remington 870.
Tuco
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top